Scrubbing..

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by FlamingBalls, Nov 19, 2008.

Nov 19, 2008

Scrubbing.. by FlamingBalls at 10:30 PM (1,000 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. FlamingBalls
    OP

Newcomer FlamingBalls Member

Canada
    I've downloaded a scrubbed game from somewhere and extracted it so it's the full size .ISO
    I want to re-scrub it into larger .rar achieves, but I need to know if scrubbing an already scrubbed game will affect it.

Thanks~

2. mexiken

Newcomer mexiken Advanced Member

United States
    If I understand you correctly, then no. Basically you took a split, scrubbed game, and made it a full ISO right ???? Now you want to scrub a game, but make larger individual pieces.

The answer is no, it shouldn't affect it at all. Scrubbing just analyzes your ISO and takes parts of the info that can be compressed much more heavily (since they're supposedly junk data) and does that, making a smaller file for you, while still retaining decent compression on the more critical files.

When you make it into a full ISO, all the compression is gone, and the file is back to its original self. So you can do whatever you want with it, as if you had never scrubbed it at all.

3. FlamingBalls
    OP

Canada
    Alright, thanks!
    Also, after I tried scrubbing an ISO with "ISO Mode", "0xFF" and "Keep Headers", I click Scrub and I end up with an ISO exactly the same as the original. What am I doing wrong?

4. Screemer

Member Screemer GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    nothing. if the iso is already scrubbed nothing is changed by scrubbing it again.

scrubbing just replaces "junk data" with other "junk data" but the new data is much better compressible with packing tools like rar or zip. so just compressing the iso with one of those tools will result in a smaller sized file.

just use 7zip or what ever you want to compress it as a single file archive.

5. FlamingBalls
    OP

Canada
    Ahh, I see. Thanks!

6. teq

Member teq GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Part of that "junk data" is padding to improve seek times. While scrubbing the image helps for archiving and file transfer, adding the padding back in should be done to help performance.

Also, as far as compression is concerned, UHARC does a much better job than 7z with multimedia files.

7. FlamingBalls
    OP

Canada
    If I want to compress with WinRAR to a .rar archive, what compress level should I be using? Store just gives me the exact same file and fastest gives me a similar size. If I use anything higher, it takes around 2+ hours (according to ETI).

8. Screemer

Member Screemer GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    higher compression rates equals in longer compression time.

9. FlamingBalls
    OP

Canada
    Let me rephrase what I said:
    What compress level should I use to get as close to the estimated scrubbed file size as possible?

10. zerof

Member zerof GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Use the best compression.

11. Pikachu025

Member Pikachu025 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Austria
    Scrubbing replaces the padding with compressable padding, I don't see any reason it should affect seek times in any way.