Scrubbed Vs Trimmed

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by neo_weiner, Jan 25, 2010.

Jan 25, 2010

Scrubbed Vs Trimmed by neo_weiner at 3:15 PM (6,902 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. neo_weiner
    OP

Newcomer neo_weiner Newbie

I have been using the Wii Scrubber's 1.40 Trim option to shrink my Wii Games for archiving, but is this method safer, or better than using the Scrubb option? (These games are being used on a Softmodded Wii with a USB loader)

2. Kwartel

Member Kwartel The fairest in all the land

Netherlands
    well, it doesn't care much.

3. neo_weiner
    OP

Well, what is the dofference between the two. Which option does what to the ISO, which one is the best option to choose for backing up to a Hard drive for archiving purposes. these are the questions I want to know. I have about 274 gigs worth of full Wii Games and wish to cut down on the space.

4. mousex

Member mousex GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Scrubbing is the standart since a long time, the .iso files keep their size but you can compress them to the real game size even on lowest compression.
    I never used trim, but I guess it will make the iso smaller, this could make problems when burning them. In my opinion the best option are sparse isos, they just use the size the game really is and you can still burn them.

5. guxu

Newcomer guxu Newbie

United States
    I used trim for awhile, till I found some trimmed ISOs did not load in USB loader. (You can still install them using WBFS manager. But it will black screen.)

6. Dteyn

Member Dteyn GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    I personally archive all my backups by simply converting them to WBFS files using Wii Game Manager. This ensures the smallest file size possible, since WBFS files are basically just the game partition extracted to a file. Much smaller than .ISO files and does not require any compression to keep the file sizes small. I used to keep all my backups as scrubbed .ISO files archived into .7z format, but it takes FOREVER to compress/decompress the files on my crappy laptop. I find the WBFS files work perfectly (no issues thus far) and best of all, no file compression to deal with. [​IMG]

7. timebandit

Newcomer timebandit Member

Sweden
    I have 50% of my games at fullsize iso's and the other 50% as scrubbed.

When you save them in the .wbfs format, can you burn them to a DVD and play or do they only work with USB Loaders?

8. jpref

Newcomer jpref Advanced Member

Canada
    personal experience says to keep .isos in the normal format (4.7gb) , then place them on an external source, and use windows compression. When they are transferred to a wbfs drive , they will be scrubbed to the required size. this leaves the iso untouched and 100% compatibility.

9. timebandit

Sweden
    I agree... Untouched ISO is always the best but uses alot of space even when compressed.

Sometimes it's needed to have them in other formats to save diskspace, and then my question is: Which format/method is the second best for storing the backups?

10. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Scrubbing is ideal since the discs aren't resigned, whereas I'm pretty sure they are if you trim an ISO.

11. smf

Member smf GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    If you're willing to scrub/trim then wbfs is just as good, The problem with sparse ISO's is copying them around can= make them nonsparse again.

12. neo_weiner
    OP

How would I go about converting my backups in WBFs Format? i'm kinda lost on this and didn't see any option like that in the WBFS program.

13. timebandit

Sweden
    Yes, I had problem before after copied games from the WBFS drive to another drive to backup. After copy them back to the new WBFS drive many of them stoped working inside the game at some places.
    I don't know if the Wii Game Manager does this better than WBFS Manager 3 does? Something makes it like 50-50 of backing up WBFS files.

Iether remove some games that I prolly not gonna play again or try to make them .wbfs again.