Screen Flickering.

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by iAqua, May 3, 2016.

1. iAqua
    OP

iAqua feel the... envy.

GBAtemp Patron
    iAqua is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 7, 2015
    Canada
    Hello temp. I'm currently experiencing issues with screen flickering on Windows 10. Could anyone please help?

SPECS :

Intel i7 4790k
    16GB Kingston HyperX Ram.
    No graphics card.

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Flickering how? If you can make a video then great but more info is going to be needed. With that sort of spec I imagine you are not using VGA but I would like to know what connection type you are using.

It could be one of a few things depending upon how it flickers. Do you have another monitor/TV you can try? Alternatively do you have something else you can plug into the monitor/TV you are using to test it out there? Backlight on the monitor on the way out is a fairly popular one, I see it often enough in TVs and laptops beyond a certain age and occasionally before then as well. This will look like the thing dimming (or brightening which is not good if so) and coming back.
    If it black screens for a second or so then we usually look more to the graphics chip/path or something there.
    If it distorts the image for a second, in various ways this can be including an almost freeze, certain sections updating, sections going out of line with the rest of the image, then if it is a digital signal we also look at the graphics setup and possibly the screen as well. If it was a nice old analogue connection then there are some alternatives there.
    Does it happen randomly or when you launch certain programs/games/do certain things? All the time or just some of the time when doing certain things? Does it do it from boot or only after it has been on for a while? All resolutions or just the one you are on? Do you have anything else in the path (no amp or anything you feed your PC into or similar)?

I will warn you that it is not likely to be good with digital signals on modern hardware, though you might get lucky and find it was the drivers or something.

3. iAqua
    OP

iAqua feel the... envy.

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Dec 7, 2015
    Canada
    Alright. I have reinstalled drivers updated. Nothing here's a video of the flickering.

4. iAqua
    OP

iAqua feel the... envy.

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Dec 7, 2015
    Canada
    Bump, urgent help needed.

5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    That is not really flickering as much as an artifact. Ones that like that are usually a signal that the graphics chip or something in that whole area is on the way out. If you are using the onboard graphics then you might be able to get a cheap graphics card and use that instead. The graphics drivers might still be the issue but normally that is a games thing rather than windows desktop. You said you updated and it did not change anything so now try an older set if you can, I don't hold out much hope of that fixing it.
    If you still have a warranty then it might be worth considering doing that.

There is an outside chance it could still be the monitor; try another monitor or another device on it, or if it is a laptop which that did not appear to be then try an external monitor.

6. iAqua
    OP

iAqua feel the... envy.

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Dec 7, 2015
    Canada
    It was the hdmi cord.. Fixed.

7. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    That is surprising. HDMI tends to be an all or nothing affair in my experience. Hopefully it was that and the issue has not just gone away for a little while.