Science Round Up- Jan 12th 2011

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Gahars, Jan 12, 2012.

Jan 12, 2012
  1. Gahars
    OP

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    Alright, so I have a good sized list of Science related articles to go through. To save time, I'll post them all together. So, without further ado...

1) "Type 1 Diabetes Can Be Reverse Using Stem Cell Therapy, According to New Study"

Source: Doctor Tipster

Considering the large amount of people that suffer from Diabetes today, a treatment like this would certainly be a Godsend. Plus, since the stem cells come from healthy patients, scientists can (hopefully) sidestep the controversy.

Of course, to sidestep, you need balance, and this just might help after a night of debauchery.

2) "New Drug May Keep You Sober No Matter How Much You've Had to Drink"

Alright, that transition might have been forced, but seriously, take a look at this.

Source: MNN

While there is a lot of testing left to be done, this is pretty amazing. If this works in humans as well as it did in those lab rats, the societal effects would enormous. Imagine one day where there was no more alcoholism (and the damage it causes) period

Or if you prefer to look at the smaller picture, it will be easier to a get home after a night at the bar when you safely drive yourself.

And I'm not going to even bother with a transition this time, so...

3) "1% Of Australia's Geothermal Power Potential = 26,000 Years of Energy"

And no, I did not add any extra zeroes.

Source: Treehugger

Yeah, calling that a lot of energy would be an understatement of massive proportions.

Of course, we just have to get to and harness all that energy first. Still, with many governments and corporations investing in Geothermal energy, progress is being made. After all, even just a fraction of this one percent could be more than enough when used in conjunction with other sources of energy.

Or this could just turn out to be the fabled city of the Mole People in disguise. I'll let you know how that turns out.

So, what do you think? Which of these developments are the most significant, and which of my awful jokes was the most awful?

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Some nice developments there, I am quite surprised previous plans for the alcohol one were shelved though (I heard similar concerns over a drug that would lessen the harmful effects of tobacco smoke) as researchers do not tend to be that sensitive to such concerns and basic pharmacology would say it might not be that great a leap between booze and some of the more fun substances out there and he who makes that substance becomes he who is or he who has a boss that just got very rich.

More geothermal is always good- even in the UK some people are considering it for their pools if they live in the right area and there is nothing close to the ring of fire around here.

3. Thesolcity

Member Thesolcity Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.

United States
    Wait the alcohol one is a breakthrough? I could've sworn there is a pill out there that essentially does the same thing.

4. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    Item number 1 actually has more widespread implications concerning other auto-immune illnesses too....i imagine a treatment for something like arthritis could come further down the line.

5. NES SNES V.B. N64 G.C. Wii WiiU

Member NES SNES V.B. N64 G.C. Wii WiiU Now with extra redundancy!

Australia
    Wow, we've got a lot unued potential power...
    If only we had enough people to use it...

Nah, I like Australia the way it is :)

6. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    A little prob viewing the original article...

But otherwise, all are cool. Awesome science stuff.

7. Gahars
    OP

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    I've found an article on pills that help people break longstanding addictions (Here), but as far as I know, there are none on the market that would instantly sober you up or remove a hangover.

Believe me, whoever gets this to market first stands to make a lot of press, prestige, and money (Scrooge McDuck quantities, I'm guessing).

8. Skelletonike

Member Skelletonike ♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀

Portugal
    The only one I really deem as interesting is the last one. We seriously need new energy sources, and hopefully one that won't damage the environment any more than we already did.
    Also, the acool one is stupid, as long as someone knows how to drink, they wouldn't need a pill for that, only responsablity is needed.