Hacking Save Preservation Help

bluedart

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone. So I recently bought an external 1TB hard drive and y-cable for my Wii U and have been enjoying the fruits of that. I have sigpatched SysNand and Haxchii installed over brain age and the custom DNS set up to avoid updates. There's really only one thing I need help with, and that's taking my disc-based save files and preserving/converting them to use with the digital versions I'd like to install on my usb drive.

Kinda long:
There are only three titles I really care about: Hyrule Warriors, Smash 4, and Xenoblade Chronicles X. I noticed that with WindWaker HD when I installed the game via WUPInstaller GX2 and ran the game from disc to check the save data that it was mysteriously gone! Honestly it's not a problem losing that game's save data, but if that happens with a game I care about I'm going to be really unhappy. I installed Twilight Princess HD at the same time, but never booted it up, so I did some testing. I copied over the save for TPHD from nand to USB (which apparently overwrote the installation for that game, so I reinstalled it with wupinstaller) and ran the digital version and my save was there just fine. From here on out apparently the USB save is the only one loaded when I play either the USB version or the disc version. Weird, right? I checked and the save files were on both storage devices, so I deleted the one on the nand. No change, the USB save is being used for both still. Works for me, but I'm not sure why that is. I've read tons of tutorials and, unfortunately, tons of conflicting information about how to do this and how not to do this. My own experimentation is a bit confusing, as well.

So what exactly should I be doing to ensure I keep these three saves I've put serious time into?

kidasquid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone. So I recently bought an external 1TB hard drive and y-cable for my Wii U and have been enjoying the fruits of that. I have sigpatched SysNand and Haxchii installed over brain age and the custom DNS set up to avoid updates. There's really only one thing I need help with, and that's taking my disc-based save files and preserving/converting them to use with the digital versions I'd like to install on my usb drive.

Kinda long:
There are only three titles I really care about: Hyrule Warriors, Smash 4, and Xenoblade Chronicles X. I noticed that with WindWaker HD when I installed the game via WUPInstaller GX2 and ran the game from disc to check the save data that it was mysteriously gone! Honestly it's not a problem losing that game's save data, but if that happens with a game I care about I'm going to be really unhappy. I installed Twilight Princess HD at the same time, but never booted it up, so I did some testing. I copied over the save for TPHD from nand to USB (which apparently overwrote the installation for that game, so I reinstalled it with wupinstaller) and ran the digital version and my save was there just fine. From here on out apparently the USB save is the only one loaded when I play either the USB version or the disc version. Weird, right? I checked and the save files were on both storage devices, so I deleted the one on the nand. No change, the USB save is being used for both still. Works for me, but I'm not sure why that is. I've read tons of tutorials and, unfortunately, tons of conflicting information about how to do this and how not to do this. My own experimentation is a bit confusing, as well.

So what exactly should I be doing to ensure I keep these three saves I've put serious time into?
Saves follow the install files. If it's a USB game, you should copy the save over first. You can still get the saves from ftpiiu everywhere, at both locations.

Sent from my KFFOWI using Tapatalk

Reactions: Kafluke

bluedart

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the replies. I actually backed some of these up with Saviine the other day, but I can't get the server to work anymore for some reason. I was a bit worried about just pushing the button on that one since the files Saviine got were so much smaller than the WiiU indicated. I also just booted up FTPiiU and apparently all that does is the SD card, not anything to do with nand or usb like one comment seemed to be implying. Anyway, am I correct in assuming that if I just copy/move over the save data for those titles to the USB drive and then install them on that same drive with WUPInstaller that my saves would be intact?

Edit: I just saw FTPiiU_Everywhere on the Homebrew App Store, is that what was mentioned?

Final Edit: All right, so turns out I was freaking out over nothing. All I had to do was move all my saves to the USB and they're all recognized. Also, my WindWaker HD save was okay too, cause it was still on the nand; I just moved it onto the USB and all's well. I believe this is what one the of replies was trying to tell me, and I just couldn't understand it from my point of sheer ignorance. Thanks for the replies everyone.

Last edited by bluedart,
Reactions: Kafluke

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, Lol K3N1.