Save files wont work due to FAT32

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by step29, Jul 25, 2009.

Jul 25, 2009
  1. step29
    OP

Newcomer step29 Member

United States
    Old card= 1GB microSD FAT
    New Card= 8GB microSDHC FAT32

I remember how my save data wont work after borrowing a microSD from my friend so I learned his card was FAT and my 1gb was FAT32 so when using the formater it was all perfect

Now I got a new 8gb card the theres not a option to change FAT32 to FAT.. I wonder why?

So tell me how
    1. Change FAT32 to FAT
    2.Change my save data to work on FAT32

thank you

(Owner of a fake acekard 2)

2. zero383

Member zero383 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    The file allocation tables (FAT) of a transflash card won't affect your save files. Your problem lies elsewhere. Probably your FAKE acecard can't handle SDHC.

You can only format an 8GB card with FAT32 because FAT16 can only be used for 4GB or lower. I suggest you read up on what FAT is.

3. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom

not true you can format to FAT (FAT 16)

At least in XP (PRO) right click MY COMPUTER icon and choose MANAGE from the popup menu wait for the Computer management box to pop up and on the right hand window pane double left click on STORAGE then double left click on DISK MANAGEMENT find your removable drive letter in the list Make sure its your mem card in your USB reader and no other drive as we are about to FORMAT it!!! ... now RIGHT CLICK on it and choose FORMAT it will now show a new box where you can choose FAT or FAT32 to format your mem card too ..

[​IMG]

So you can now format your card to FAT instead of FAT 32 [​IMG]

BTW you can also format them to NTFS too but you need to change it to Optimize for performance instead of quick removal (under device manager/drive/policies) and when you go to format your mem card in the usual way (right click format) you can now choose NTFS! [​IMG] not that you would for a flash card it will not work ....but it IS possible! lol

edit: hummmm can select FAT on my XP pro but not on a XP PRO laptop here or on our other XP PRO setup or on a friends? ... guess it does not work on all machines or not selectable on all machines?!?

4. Jakob95

Suspended Jakob95 I am the Avatar

United States
    I could format my microSD which is 2gb. I could format it into Fat32 or Fat with Windows XP. So it works for me.

EDIT: 600th Post!!!!!!!

5. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table

-another world

6. step29
    OP

Newcomer step29 Member

United States
    So that means I have to start over huh?
    That sucks...

7. Da-Bomb1

Member Da-Bomb1 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Just back all of the files up onto your computer, then reformat the card with the official SD formatter. It should work fine then. If not, something else is wrong.

8. step29
    OP

Newcomer step29 Member

United States
    OK this is starting to piss me off I already started over yesterday and now today my save data got courrpted again wtf is going on

and i already did the format thing 7 times

9. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    As others have said FAT and FAT 32 shouldn't effect your sav files.
    The problem may lie elsewhere. Are you using the exact same card and firmware on your flashcart? Maybe the sav files need to be converted or renamed to match your rom names.

10. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    make sure you use a fresh copy of the firmware and not the one that was previously on there. with akaio the optionlist.bin file can become corrupt. although norm and smiths ironed out the bugs, i still tell people to delete that file. you can save your globalsettings.ini from the firmware directory, but get rid of the rest and start fresh (well except for themes, custom language files, etc).

-another world

11. step29
    OP

Newcomer step29 Member

United States
    EDIT: The weird thing is when you transfer the save file to your computer it's useless. WHy? This have never happend to my Acekard. Maybe it's my SD?

12. VatoLoco

Member VatoLoco Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.

United States
    i dont see it mentioned if you're saves are .nds.sav (used on older firmware) or .sav (default on newer firmware).

with akaio there is a system option to switch which save extension is recognized.

13. ts.salvador

Newcomer ts.salvador Member

Brazil
    Actually I am having a similar problem here, with .sav files suddenly stop working. Is by any chance this the same problem you are having or are you not being able to create any files?

I suggest formatting and loading a single rom, test it and see if it creates the sav file for you.