Hacking Sandisk 8GB Class 4 issues

geokilla

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I got a Sandisk 8GB Class 4 MicroSDHC from DealExtreme when I got my SuperCard like last April and for some reason, SuperCard auto detects the read speed as a speed of 5. My friend's Kingston 8Gb Class 4 MicroSDHC on the other hand gets detected with a read speed of 25! Does this seem right? I've formatted the card numerous times, and I can't even get past the full format when using the Panasonic formatter. The card works, but I'm beginning to think that I got a fake.

If I do have a slow card and it's the reason behind why my DS videos are out of sync, then I may purchase a new one. Can you guys recommend me a good, fast MicroSDHC card just in case I need a new one? Thanks!

Can a slow SD card cause problems when playing DPG4 videos on Moonshell? DPG videos that were originally converted from AVI works fine, but if they're converted from RMVB format, the sound gradually gets faster than the video.

elixirdream

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
as far as i know
the read/write speed between kingston and sandisk is different
some tempers say kingston got one of the better speed
smile.gif

on the other hand, i am using sandisk class4 8GB and i never ever have any problem on my gaming experience

the rest i can't answer since i hardly mess with videos

zero383

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Format using FULL [ERASE: OFF] option.

Are your videos out of sync if you play them on your computer or just your DS? If it's out of sync on your computer then the problem is with your encoding.

You can test your card's speed with this program that you run on your DS: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=1381

I have a Class 2 Sandisk 8GB and these are the results. If your numbers are significantly higher (slower) than mine then there's something wrong.

sequential (512B)
max: 664?s avg: 345?s

sequential (4KB)
max: 2950?s avg: 2788?s

sequential (16KB)
max: 11744?s avg: 11196?s

random (512B)
max: 735?s avg: 695?s

random (4KB)
max: 2972?s avg: 2819?s

random (16KB)
max: 11748?s avg: 11173?s

geokilla

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My videos are fine on the computer, but when I convert them to DPG using Xilisoft, then the sound gets out of sync. I have a thread over at the Homebrew section on this.

@elixir. Thanks for the info. Will definitely keep that in mind.

@zero. Did you get your Sandisk from DX too? I'll test my SD card with that program later tomorrow due to studying for exams and report back with the results. I'll also use HD Tune (or was it HD Tach) and see what it says.

Edit: Didn't want to double post.

@zero. I did the test. How do I see my results?

geokilla

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@zero. I did the test on my DS. How do I see my results?

As for the results from HD Tune after using the Panasonic Formatter.

sandisk8gb.jpg

Does that seem right? There's nothing in the SD card yet. Oh and don't mind the CPU usage. I'm running F@H as seen in my sig.

zero383

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The results are displayed on your DS screen.

Your read speeds are fine but your Access Time is high.

QUOTE said:
If the Random Access Time is 0.7ms or below, the game will never lock up at any point, ever.

If the Random Access Time is between 0.8ms and 1.2ms, the game will be playable, and sometimes freeze while going from one portal to another, or while pausing/unpausing. It is not very frequent though, making the game playable.

If the Random Access Time is above 1.2ms, especially higher than 2.0ms, then the chances of the ROM locking-up or freezing become increasingly high, and the game will randomly lock up at any point, regardless of what you are doing in the game - even while just running around in one spot.

Here's my Class 2 8GB Sandisk:

sd8gb_hd.jpg

For reference, here is a Class 6 Transcend 8GB:

ts8gb_hd.jpg

geokilla

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I suspect mine's a fake, thus the slower speeds, higher access time, and probably the cause of why RMVB to DPG videos converted with Xilisoft get out of sync.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill