Same problem with 2 different DSi XLs!

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by slingblade1170, Sep 15, 2012.

Sep 15, 2012
  1. slingblade1170
    OP

Member slingblade1170 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I have 2 DSi XLs that I have bought for my younger cousins and after a few weeks of use on both of them suddenly they stopped powering on. Now they will try to come on with the chargers plugged in but the charge light is now blinking and the screens just shut off. I read on Nintendo.com that if the charge light is blinking it indicates that the battery isn't installed correctly. Well, after have a look at the batteries they are obviously inserted correctly and nothing is wrong with either DS charger. Neither DS has a warranty and I do have knowledge in repairing consoles and computers but not sure where to start with a handheld. Any ideas of what the problem could be and how it may be fixed?

2. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    Is the DSi charging at all without turning it on?

3. slingblade1170
    OP

United States
    Well I guess not because they power on enough to see light on the screens then shut off again. When plugged up they do the exact same thing but the charge light blinks and doesn't stay steady.

4. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    Try cleaning the contacts on the battery as well as the system, then the charger plug. Use high-volume alcohol only - no water, no detergents, nothing that can leave residue on the contacts. Don't power on your system, leave it to charge, regardless of whether the LED blinks or not. I'm afraid that both batteries are lower on charge than the unit specifies for detection and you have to attempt "charging them up" to the point where they become detected once more. It happens sometimes to batteries, I had that issue with my phone. Simply leave them to charge and see what happens.

It's very odd that it happened to both units at once though, that's easily a one-in-a-million situation right there.

...you sure that the socket you're using is working right? :P

I kid, it probably does... well, good luck and I hope that you'll revive'em.

5. slingblade1170
    OP

United States
    Alright I'll try anything to get these working. May try it right now. If it happens to work i'll post results.

6. tbgtbg

Member tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

United States
    How long ago did you buy them? New or used? I know you say they don't have warranties, but I don't know if you just meant extended warranties and don't know there is usually a manufacturer warranty for a while on stuff like this if you buy it new.

If they were used, I would guess whoever sold them (either to you or to whoever you bought them from) put dud batteries in and kept the good ones.