Saints Row 3DS Cancelled?

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by heartgold, May 6, 2011.

May 6, 2011

Saints Row 3DS Cancelled? by heartgold at 9:28 AM (1,757 Views / 0 Likes) 19 replies

1. heartgold
    OP

Member heartgold GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    THQ left very little room for interpretation today in regards to Saints Row: Drive By, the XBLA and PSN spinoff of its puerile open-world series. "We are not developing Saints Row: Drive By," a THQ rep told Joystiq, confirming reports of its cancellation.

That likely means there won't be a 3DS Saints Row game either, since core games CEO Danny Bilson said that the planned 3DS project was the same as the XBLA game. Given the kind of weaponry we've seen in the latest Saints Row game -- weaponry we're not too keen to see in 3D -- we're at peace with the cancellation.

THQ told Joystiq it had "no further comment at this time" regarding the 3DS title specifically[/p]

I do hope they haven't stopped the 3DS development [​IMG]

Source

2. SamAsh07

Member SamAsh07 GBAtemp Addict

Bahrain
    Nothing to worry about really, OoT Mario & MGS are enough to keep me happy, this was just a tiny icing on the cake which melted before it was even applied. [​IMG]

3. lostdwarf

Member lostdwarf GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    when are all the high quality games coming out for 3ds? not nintendo titles? ie Driver, Assasins Creed, Call of Duty etc

4. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    I wouldn't consider Driver "high quality". The rest are just "Um, yeah, they'll come there eventually", no real details have been specified. Odds are they'll be "meh" spinoffs when the new CoD and Assassin's Creed are revealed.

Saint's Row is like one of the best open world games around, although my hopes were never really high for a portable title. Odds are I'd only buy it for XBLA to prep for SR3.

5. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    As far as I remember, Saints Row 3DS was going to be released on the 3DS and ALSO on XBLA/PSN, not the other way around. This info simply states that the XBLA/PSN port is down the drain, not the other way around.

This is understandable - seeing that online services recieved a major blow in the face due to recent Sony hacking incident, THQ must've been shit scared that the public won't really welcome buying online content with open hands now, so they do have a point.

6. AlanJohn

Member AlanJohn くたばれ

Ukraine
    GTA: Chinatown stories.
    Or GTA: San Andreas stories.

That would be 100x better than saints row.

7. Chhotu uttam

Member Chhotu uttam DOH HO HO HO

India
    agree with you.
    :yaypenis:

8. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    I *really* can't see the difference between those games other than different developers.

Sandbox envioriment - check
    Stealing cars - check
    Shooting in third person - check
    Driving - check
    Police chases - check
    Random homicide most of the time instead of making missions - check

They're the same game, man.

9. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Well, at their core gameplay they're roughly the same.

But anyone whose played the two knows there's a big difference. Saint's Row doesn't take itself seriously. It's over-the-top and pretty much constant humor and action. There's none of those stupid "DRIVE ME HERE" missions where nothing happens. Almost every mission involves you killing people or some type of high action sequence.

Saint's Row is definitely better purely for that reason.

10. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    I must agree. GTA died a little on the inside once it started pretending to be super-cereal about itself. The essence of a sandbox game is the sandbox itself and the actions you can perform in it. Why create an open world if you're willing to create a mechanism that'll smack you across the face as soon as you try bending the rules? That's not how this type of games should work. Let's face it - missions are the icing, the means of conveying a story. They're not "the core" of gameplay in these "gangsta sims".

At core, they are the same though. It's just that Rockstar should head back to the roots while Saint's Row is at the roots and kicking.

11. Ikki

Member Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Uruguay
    I wasn't really looking forward to this game. So I don't really care.

And I feel like pointing out that the thread title says "Saints Row 3DS Cancelled" instead of "Saints Row Cancelled". It really shows how Nintendo oriented this site is, it feels kinda sad.

12. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    yeah main reason why i was looking forward to saints row on the 3DS i enjoyed saints row 2 on the ps3 as it's a lot of fun in co-op [​IMG] compared to gta 4 which was more serious, it is such a shame that it was cancelled, but all is not lost saints row 3 is still coming out.

13. jerome27

Banned jerome27 Banned

United States
    Its still coming.

14. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    and yet GTAIV got better game reviews and has sold over 5 times of many copies then saints row 2

15. Ikki

Member Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Uruguay
    Because it's GTA.

16. DigitalDeviant

Member DigitalDeviant GBAtemp Addict

United States
    and nothing of value was lost, IMO.

17. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    Alright, I'll play that game with ya.

The Wii sold 86 million units. Let's compare it to PS3's - 50 million. My, that's almost twice as much! How about the 360? 57,6 million? Well, that's the last nail to the XBox360/PS3 coffin, the Wii must be vastly superior! Gee, I'd never thought that! (estimates as of march 2010, didn't feel like looking for fresher ones, you get the point anyways.)

Better reviews you say. Y'know, because players are actually so DULL that they can't tell what they like and what they don't - someone has to plaster a score to the game to make it easier to choose what you enjoy and what pisses you off? A reviewer is a bread winner, and you win more bread if you're playing in the stronger team. Rockstar is the stronger team, no doubt.

I'll tell you the truth behind GTA4. It was a bugfest designed for PC's of the future and its console port was even more of a bugfest, since when you're making a game that needs more resources than any widely available hardware can supply, you gotta cut fucking corners. In GTA4's case the corner-cutting didn't end until the game became a circle.

In contrast, Saint's Row 2 was designed with normal hardware in mind. It's not a fountain of eyecandy, I'll admit this much. But it *works*.

In that respect, it's superior to GTA4.

18. SamAsh07

Member SamAsh07 GBAtemp Addict

Bahrain
    +1 to Foxi4 for speaking out the truth, especially the review part.

And about SR 2 and GTA 4, of which is superior...I don't care at all, in my mind all games are equal, each game has its own problems, so they balance out to me.

19. jonesman99

Member jonesman99 GBAtemp's Official ArchAndroid

United States
    If the 3DS version is cancelled, that's fine by me... To be honest, I really don't see it working on a handheld, mainly because sandbox games now-a-days emphasize multi-player, local or online. And that is something that the US, for the most part, isn't ready for.

My basis is GTA: Chinatown Wars. I didnt really hear about the multi-player being used on the game. It may have been, but not from the reviews I've heard from it. Another reason could have been the Friend Codes for the game.

20. DarkLG

Member DarkLG Wow One Shiny Ribbon!!!!

United States
    I actually regretd buying GTA4 didn't feel like the previous games I enjoyed for some reason(Vice City,San Andreas)