Sabrent 12 Button USB Controller Malfunction

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by dj505, May 20, 2015.

1. dj505
    OP

dj505 Inexperienced Romhacker

Oct 4, 2014
    Canada
    Most likely at the arcade
    I got some awesome responses and help last time I posted here, so I'll give it another shot.

I ordered this USB controller on Amazon with 12 buttons by Sabrent. It had great reviews, so I figured why not? When I plugged it in to my laptop, nothing happened. Apparently I'm supposed to press the Mode button and it switches to Digital Mode and turns on the red light on the controller, but no light came on. It's supposed to be recoginsed as a USB gamepad, but it's only seen as a HID keyboard and a HID-compliant mouse. If I turn off my laptop all the way and plus it in while it's booting up, it turns red like it's supposed to. But when Windows loads, it turns off again. Nothing else happens.
    I'm running Windows 8.1 on an MSI gaming laptop. The controller says it's Win8 compatible.

2. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Return it? Sounds like it's DOA to me.
    I've never even heard about the brand and I doubt many people here have.

3. dj505
    OP

Oct 4, 2014
    Canada
    Plenty of people have had the same problem... Some with the same controller, but had the same issue with other types as well. They tried returning theirs (the same one I had) and getting it replaced but the same thing happened with the mouse/keyboard.

4. dj505
    OP

Oct 4, 2014
    Canada
    UPDATE: Works completely normal on my other PC. Shows up as it's supposed to, red light turns on and off with the button. I might have some software interfering with it.