S.M.A.R.T. detects error

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by GentleFist, Jun 7, 2010.

Jun 7, 2010

S.M.A.R.T. detects error by GentleFist at 5:53 PM (3,878 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. GentleFist

GentleFist Newbie

EDIT:

Kinda Resolved it - renamed DFDWiz.exe and since Windows wouldn't know I renamed it it can't start it up...

Hello,
    I have a Acer Aspire 5920G Notebook

when I start my computer there is an error message and I have to press F1 to get past it:

SMART Failure Prdicted on Hard Disk 0: WDC WD1000JB-00CRA1-(PM)
    WARNING: Immediately back-up your data and replace your hard disk drive. A failure may be imminent.
    Press F1 to Continue

Now I don't want to remove that error since I would have to change the drive and this one isn't even much of a problem.
    If possible I'd like to disable the message or even the whole SMART monitoring thingy.

The bad thing is while I'm in windows and at every startup an error pops up saying:

Es wurde ein Festplattenfehler gefunden.

I think the english equivalent is along these lines:

A harddisk error has been detected.

The process that seems to start the error is "DFDWiz.exe".

I looked in the bios but there aren't any settings to disable SMART.
    The second error thats extremely crappy since it pops up all the time
    started after I made a new clean install of Windows 7.
    I remember I had this error before too but I somehow managed to disable it.

Googling I only found non-permament solutions to this that aren't effective since after reboot the error pops up again.

Summary (TL; DR):

My harddrive has a problem which results in 2 error messages of which the latter one pops up all the time and destroys my computer expirience.
    I don't have guarantee and I don't want to buy a new drive, also I have used the drive with the error for years and it worked out till now.
    Before my new install I had disabled the errors but now I just can't do it.

So I beg please show me a way how to prevent the error messages from showing (at least the second one).

EDIT:

Kinda Resolved it - renamed DFDWiz.exe and since Windows wouldn't know I renamed it it can't start it up...

Attached Files:

2. Mantis41

Member Mantis41 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    yor hdd is probably on the way out but may last a while yet.

If you have your impotant stuff backup up to DVD or something and don't mind waiting for a non recoverable failure then......

Check your HDDs make and model. Surf over to the manufacturers web site and you should be able to download a hdd utlity that will do the job.

3. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Just to add, SMART is an automatic system for keeping an eye on the health of the HDD. It's impossible to disable it in the HDD itself, and not many BIOSes allow disabling the SMART notification due to the fact that when it tells you there's an error, it's usually a good idea to act on it.

4. Mantis41

Member Mantis41 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Not entirely true. Although I will agree it is not a good idea you can clear or disable the SMART error codes from a drive using some manufacturers utitlies. An example is Western Digitals' 'Data life guard'. With the Switch -A it will disable SMART error codes. Depending on the SMART failure running some of the extended drive tests will also stop the error codes.

5. Originality

United Kingdom
    Oh, never knew they did that. I thought the only thing you needed the utilities for were changing eco settings (such as auto-spindown).

6. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    Actually, pretty much every BIOS out there since 2006 lets you do that [​IMG] I still have to see one modern BIOS that lets you not disable it [​IMG]

EDIT: Wait, not in laptops, though [​IMG]
    @OP By the way, your HD is gonna die soon, so I advise you to back up EVERYTHING. It's not wise to ignore S.M.A.R.T. warnings like that [​IMG]

7. Originality

United Kingdom
    A number of Dell PCs don't allow it, and some of the cheaper motherboards. Most good motherboards do give a lot of freedom in BIOS though. All based on what I've seen in building/fixing computers for friends over the years.

8. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    You're fortunate that you're even getting a warning. I've had one or two drives die on me through the years without any SMART warning. Don't keep anything important on that drive. It's going to fail sooner or later once you get a warning.