Homebrew rxtools help?

Xanthe

Costco Executive Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I just successfully downgraded to 9.2 (yay!)
I looked at the official thread as to how to install it...The video is absolutely complicated and its a mess. Do I even have to do most of the things he's doing in the video? Can someone please tell me what I need to do to install rxtools custom firm, because the video makes no sense to me :/

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I just successfully downgraded to 9.2 (yay!)
I looked at the official thread as to how to install it...The video is absolutely complicated and its a mess. Do I even have to do most of the things he's doing in the video? Can someone please tell me what I need to do to install rxtools custom firm, because the video makes no sense to me :/
STEP 1 - Making your Nand Backup and Creating EmuNand!
No Gateway or Cubic Ninja? We got you covered!

1. Download Gateway ULTRA (latest version)
Put Launcher.dat in the root of your SD Card

2. In your SD card, there should be a Nintendo 3DS folder. Open it, and open the folder inside that (has a long name of random numbers and letters); that is your Sysnand's ID folder.

If there are two or more ID folders, then do the following steps for both folders. One folder belongs to your 3DS. If there is another similar folder, it probably belongs to another 3DS that you inserted your SD card into. Ignore the "private" folder if there is one.

There should be another folder within, so open that too. You should now see an "extdata" folder. If you don't see a "dbs" folder as well, download this zip folder and put the "dbs" folder beside the extdata folder.

*Again, if the dbs folder already exists, and you have a title.db and import.db file inside, do not replace them!

Should look similar to this
5v60o.jpg

3. Boot the 3DS/2DS and go into Settings —> Data Management —> Software. It’ll ask to reset or repair your software management information or sd card, so allow it to do so. Again, you do NOT have to do this if you already had the dbs folder and the two files inside your SD card.

4. Open your 3DS/2DS internet Browser and go to http://go.gateway-3ds.com/

Hold L to get to the menu if you already have an emunand.
Navigate to "backup system nand" and make your nand backup!!
Then turn off your 3DS and copy your nand.bin from the SD card to somewhere safe on your PC!

5. Also, make a backup of all your sd card contents (especially the Nintendo 3DS folder)

6. Boot up your 3DS/2DS
Open your 3DS/2DS internet Browser and go to http://go.gateway-3ds.com/ again
This time go to "Format Emunand". Let it complete, may take a few minutes (no more than 10 minutes)

7. Turn off 3DS/2DS, and restore your sd card backup. Now go to step 2.

STEP 2 - Preparing rxTools!
Download the recommended RxTools build for this guide here
TEMPORARY MIRROR LINK: Here

Download Python version 2.7
Direct Windows installer link
If you are using Windows, right-click the rxtools.rar and open Properties. If at the bottom, it says the file is blocked, check "Unblock" and Apply. This should take care of any problems you have with the following steps.

Mac users: If you're having problems running rxtools (black screens, Installation Suite errors, etc.) try extracting the rxtools zip using a reputable .zip extractor or a Windows PC (or virtualbox).

Backup and delete any "rxtools" folder that you may have on your SD card before doing the following steps!

1. Put the "rxtools" folder on your SD card root.
2. Run cdn_firm.py in the "Tools" folder. It will generate a firm folder in the same folder that cdn_firm.py is in. The firm folder must go into the rxTools folder like so: SD:/rxtools/firm

STEP 3 - Launch rxTools for the first time!
To launch from the internet browser: boot up your 3DS
Open your 3DS internet Browser and go to https://dukesrg.github.io/?rxTools/sys/code.bin (you should bookmark this. To do so, turn off your WiFi, then attempt to connect to the URL. It will fail; now you can open the browser menu and bookmark it.)
If it fails or gives you an error, click the wrench icon and clear cookies and history before trying again. If that doesn't work, clear all save data as well (should be at the very bottom of the browser settings).
To launch from Cubic Ninja, start the game and go into the QR option to boot the homebrew launcher. Select rxtools!

If you installed the MSET exploit for rxTools, you can launch it by going to System Settings-> Other Settings-> Profile-> Nintendo DS Profile. For instructions to do this, see the section below, titled "Launching rxTools through the System Settings app - MSET!"

Hold L when the bottom screen glitches to get into the menu if it is sending you back to the homemenu!!!

It should show you an Installation Data Suite. Press A when it completes; it should then autoboot into rxMode in Emunand. If it just brings you to the menu, select RXMODE and choose BOOT EMUNAND.

To setup rxTools to launch when your 3DS turns on, see the section titled "Launching rxTools at boot - Menuhax!" after completing Step 4a.

Let's take a short break.

At this point, you may update your emunand to 10.3 before continuing to step 4a, although you don't have to if everything works out. Read the guidelines in the "Emunand Information" section first before doing so.

STEP 4a - Installing a CIA Installer :mthr:
Only for users without a Gateway card or a Cubic Ninja game
Some users have reported this not working when your nands are still linked! I recommend unlinking your nands first! Read the section "Emunand Information" below!

Download FBI.cia

1. Boot up your 3DS and launch rxTools. Hold L when the bottom screen glitches to get into the menu.

2. Press dpad RIGHT to go to Advanced Options -> Press A -> Install FBI -> Press A -> choose EMUNAND, then select "check TMD version".
3. Take note of the console region and the TMD version, and turn off your 3DS.

4. Open the rxtools download and open the "Tools/fbi_injection/[region]/[version]" folder and copy the "fbi_inject.app" and "fbi_inject.tmd" files to the SD card root dir.

5. Put the FBI.cia from the FBI download onto your sd card

6. Boot up your 3DS and launch rxTools. Hold L when the bottom screen glitches to get into the menu.

7. Press dpad RIGHT to go to Advanced Options -> Press A -> Install FBI -> Press A -> choose EMUNAND, then select "Install FBI". When it's done, it will ask what you want to do with the source. Select "keep" if you want to install FBI to sysnand later.
8. Now, return to the rxtools main menu and select RXMODE -> EMUNAND and launch the Health & Safety Information app, it should boot FBI instead
9. Select FBI.cia and press A to install it.

If you get a Database error! In your SD card, there should be a Nintendo 3DS folder. Open it, and open the folder inside that (has a long name of random numbers and letters); that is your Sysnand's ID folder.

If there are two or more ID folders, then do the following steps for both folders. One folder is for your Sysnand and the other is for your Emunand; if there is another similar folder, it probably belongs to another 3DS that you inserted your SD card into. Ignore the "private" folder if there is one.

There should be another folder within, so open that too. You should now see an "extdata" folder. If you don't see a "dbs" folder as well, download this zip folder and put the "dbs" folder beside the extdata folder.

*Again, if the dbs folder already exists, and you have a title.db and import.db file inside, do not replace them!

Should look similar to this:
5v60o.jpg

Now, boot the 3DS/2DS and go into Settings —> Data Management —> Software. It’ll ask to reset or repair your software management information or sd card, so allow it to do so. Do this in Sysnand and Emunand!
10. You should now have a new FBI app on your home menu, use that to install your CIAs!

Emunand Information
Some users report their sysnand still being updated following the below steps. Unlinking your nands before attempting to update may avoid this. Please read this post before deciding to unlink nands: http://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-the-emunand-save-data-mega-guide-gbatemp-doesnt-deserve.378491/(Please, please, pleasseee read this!).

If you have an update nag on sysnand, follow these short steps to delete the update from your system first, reducing any risk of updating sysnand to be EXTREMELY unlikely. Do not do step 4 obviously, click "no"!

To update your emunand, only do so through the System Settings app.
Do NOT update if it asks you if you're "ready to start system update" or whatever it says whenever you boot your 3ds, OR through the Eshop. It will update your sysnand instead.

How to properly update emunand: Boot into Emunand, and launch System Settings. Make sure it says RX-E or RX3D in front of the version number to be sure that you are in emunand, and go straight to Other Settings -> System update without exiting the System Settings app.

If you need Emunand tool (for backing up your emunand), then you can find it here.

How to unlink nands:
1. In sysnand, go to System Settings -> Other Settings -> Format System (Do not accept yet)
2. Eject your Sd card (don't worry, it is safe)
3. Accept to Format your 3DS/2DS (let it connect to the internet if it asks, it will not update your system)
4. After it reboots, go through the setup screen and set everything up
5. Once in the home menu, insert back your sd card and let it create some files on your sd card.
6. Your nands are now unlinked, and there are 2 ID folders in your Nintendo 3DS folder on your SD card (one for emunand, another for sysnand)

How it will look on your SD card:
jI44.png

The folder with the smallest size belongs to your sysnand, since you just formatted it. Grab the database zip again and put the title.db and import.db in YourSysnandFolder/RandomNumbersAndLettersFolder/dbs, just like you did in Step 1: Line 1 & 2! Don't forget to go to Data Management in Sysnand to let the 3DS "repair" your software management information!

----------------You are now ready to install CIAs! Read further to learn about RxTools' other features and capabilities!----------------
taken from this guide [Tutorial] Installing rxTools Custom Firmware - (Old 3DS and 2DS)

Xanthe

Costco Executive Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks so much man. I prefer a written tutorial over a video. I feel like the video didn't do great job

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: you can't turn link into a femboy in tears of the kingdom