Hacking RxTools Fails to boot

ZedMania

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
First up, sorry if this is a question that's asked all the time :P Aight.

So I followed Tech Freek's guide on Youtube to install Rxtools, and I think everything went right, (Downgraded, put Launcher.dat on my SD, booted into the Gateway Launcher, backed up my nand, Minipasta patched the checks on the 3ds and FBI installed itself in .cia form, (but doesn't show up on my homescreen?), backed up everything, formatted EmuNAND, generated the firm.bin, put that into the RxTools folder, put the RxTools folder on my SD, and then put the Ninjhax Rxtools folder into my 3ds folder on my SD).

However when I go into Menuhax to boot up RxTools, a red screen flashes a little bit and then the screen stays black, rather than booting into emuNAND. Did I miss some steps out or something? :/ Thanks for any help :D

Using an Old 3ds 9.2 + Menuhax and Browserhax.

NekoMichi

Retro Collector
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Did you unlink the NANDs? If not, back up both NANDs as well as the SD contents, unlink the NANDs with TinyFormat, then try to manually boot into emuNAND*. If successful, remember to change the theme in emuNAND because I suspect that MenuHax was copied onto emuNAND and it fails to boot because it's loading the hax (broken on emuNAND if the NANDs are linked) instead of entering the home menu.

*If you used TinyFormat while in sysNAND, you'll have to reinstall MenuHax in order to access the homebrew launcher or use any autoboot features.

Last edited by NekoMichi,

ZedMania

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ummm. No I haven't unlinked my NANDs. Currently my SD card contents consists of the files I backed up before I formatted my SD (+ the Rxtools folder), and a LAUNCHER.dat that was on there after I formatted. Is there supposed to be a file named emuNAND or something? Or do both NANDs share the exact same files on the SD?

Last edited by ZedMania,

NekoMichi

Retro Collector
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Ummm. No I haven't unlinked my NANDs. Currently my SD card contents consists of the files I backed up before I formatted my SD (+ the Rxtools folder), and a LAUNCHER.dat that was on there after I formatted. Is there supposed to be a file named emuNAND or something? Or do they both share the exact same files on the SD?
The emuNAND is stored on a hidden partition, so you shouldn't see a large emuNAND file anywhere. Both NANDs access the contents stored on the SD, since they're linked they will also share the same games and themes etc. The problem is that linked NANDs will conflict with each other and cause problems like loss of icon layout or failure to boot into CFW when MenuHax is installed.

Unlinking NANDs will mean that one of the NANDs will be reset and lose all progress like Miis and settings. But that's not a problem since when you set up emuNAND, everything from your sysNAND would have been cloned onto the emuNAND. So if you unlink by resetting sysNAND, then the next time you boot up your 3DS it will act like a new console and ask you to set everything up again, before taking you to a fresh home menu. However after you reinstall MenuHax onto sysNAND and boot into emuNAND, you'll find all your games and Miis back again.

Here's a guide on NANDs.

ZedMania

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ahh right. Thank you! :D Just to make sure, would you say this is definitely the solution? I just dont want to have lost everything AND not be able to boot into emuNAND :P

NekoMichi

Retro Collector
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Ahh right. Thank you! :D Just to make sure, would you say this is definitely the solution? I just dont want to have lost everything AND not be able to boot into emuNAND :P
This seemed to be what fixed the issue when I couldn't boot into emuNAND before unlinking. But just to be sure, see if anyone else here can give a second opinion on this.

Reactions: ZedMania

ZedMania

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ahhh right. One last question: I already have my backed up SysNAND and SD card contents. How would I back up my EmuNAND? Or is that the SD card contents itself?

NekoMichi

Retro Collector
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Ahhh right. One last question: I already have my backed up SysNAND and SD card contents. How would I back up my EmuNAND? Or is that the SD card contents itself?
You can backup emuNAND using emuNAND9 through the homebrew launcher, it's the "dump emuNAND to emuNAND.bin" option. Just remember to have at least 2GB of free space left on the SD card.

PS. Do you also have slot0x25keyx.bin at the root of the SD card? If not, you'll need to find it from Google (it's against forum rules to attach that file here, sorry) and then place it at the root of the SD card.

ZedMania

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You can backup emuNAND using emuNAND9 through the homebrew launcher, it's the "dump emuNAND to emuNAND.bin" option. Just remember to have at least 2GB of free space left on the SD card.

PS. Do you also have slot0x25keyx.bin at the root of the SD card? If not, you'll need to find it from Google (it's against forum rules to attach that file here, sorry) and then place it at the root of the SD card.

Okay, cool! One final question, What is the Slot0x25keyx.bin used for?

EDIT: Nevermind... I've just been able to boot into RxTools xD I take it should now unlink NANDs and then install some CIAS :D

Last edited by ZedMania,
Reactions: NekoMichi

NekoMichi

Retro Collector
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Okay, cool! One final question, What is the Slot0x25keyx.bin used for?

EDIT: Nevermind... I've just been able to boot into RxTools xD I take it should now unlink NANDs and then install some CIAS :D
Yep, just make sure to either use TinyFormat for unlinking, or to remove your SD card if using system settings to format/unlink. Either method should work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I like to interact with my smut ok