Running games off an NTFS drive

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by puffolo, Jul 13, 2010.

Jul 13, 2010
  1. puffolo
    OP

Newcomer puffolo Member

United Kingdom
    I've been using a WBFS formatted drive together with USB Loader GX to run my wii backups right until yesterday, when my drive failed.

I'm now trying to use an NTFS formatted drive to run my files, but so far I haven't acheived success. Here's what I've done:

- I turned my ISO files into *.wbfs files with the help of wbfs_file.exe (a handy command line tool)
    - I put them into the /wbfs/ directory of my drive together with their respective *.txt files

Since this didn't succeed, I tried grouping each WBFS file with its respective TXT file in a folder (bearing the name of the TXT file). But no success this time either, so I deleted the folders and put the ungrouped files back in /wbfs/

The only thing I haven't touched is the loader itself (USB Loader GX) which should support NTFS out of the box.

Am I missing something?

I sure am since the games I'm trying to load are exactly the same I used to run (successfully) from the WBFS drive!

Can anyone help me?

2. Lumnous

Member Lumnous GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    you need to instal it with WBFS Manager the program itself

3. Blue-K

Member Blue-K No right of appeal.

Switzerland
    What cIOS are you using? And have you tried another (more stable loader), like CFG?

4. puffolo
    OP

Newcomer puffolo Member

United Kingdom
    Excuse me, what exactly should I install together with the WBFS manager?

[edit]
    @Blue-K: I'm using cIOS38r17, by "CFG" you mean Configurable USB Loader?

5. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    you clearly didn't understand the OP's problem... WBFS manager doesn't support NTFS, only WBFS (hence the name).

@OP, use wii backup manager to transfer the games to your hard drive, it can transfer directly between NTFS, FAT32, and WBFS drives and wbfs/iso/ciso formats.

If you need more explanation, download NUS Auto downloader from my signature, and from the main menu, enter "USB" to start the USB-Loader Setup Feature.

edit: Blue-K made a good point, usbloader gx may not function properly when using an NTFS drive. Try cfg usb loader instead. Also, make sure u have a cIOS that supports NTFS installed (like 222rev5+ or 249rev18+). If this isn't making any sense, use NUS Auto Downloader, and it will spell out instructions for you.

6. Ryukouki

Member Ryukouki See you later, guys.

United States

Geez Xflak, you're summing up all my problems and I don't even have to look. But there's a question that eludes me. I have one of these drives: http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-FreeAgent-Po...8208&sr=8-1 formatted to NTFS. I used Wii Backup Manager to get the .WBFS files. Does it work with CFG USB loader? Thanks! And to the OP, sorry for the hijack, but it's a similar query. [​IMG]

7. XFlak

Canada
    No prob!

edit: you may want to check the hard drive compatibility list to make sure your drive is on there. But its probably easier to just copy a game to the drive and see if configurable usb loader reads it

8. Ryukouki

Member Ryukouki See you later, guys.

United States
    Oh of course, that's what I've been using to install games. I don't intend to use the Wii, thanks! [​IMG] Besides, the Wii's gotta be hella slow. And where is this harddrive compatibility list? [​IMG] [​IMG]

EDIT: Whoops I'm an idiot! It works! Puahahahaha! All it took is a Google search and turns out I need some specific IOS version and whatnot. [​IMG]

9. puffolo
    OP

Newcomer puffolo Member

United Kingdom
    As supposed... I'm missing some IOS cIOS stuff here...

Just run CFG and it gave me this:

ERROR: CIOS222 or CIOS223 required for starting games with a FAT partition

10. Blue-K

Member Blue-K No right of appeal.

Switzerland
    Or Waninkokos cIOS rev19, which will also work. IMO, the only reason for rev17 is Triiforce, but if you don't need it, I would switch to rev19. Otherwise, I would go with Hermes cIOS (r4 or r5), as you found out.

11. Fudge

Banned Fudge Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra

United States
    Install cIOS222v5 or cIOS223v5.

12. XFlak

Canada
    download nus auto downloader, go to the batch download page, type "rec" to select recommended cIOSs, then enter "D" to download them

when its done, just install the wads NUSAD made using a wad manager (ie. yawmm)

13. puffolo
    OP

Newcomer puffolo Member

United Kingdom
    Just installed Waninkoko'ss cIOS rev19 and loaded the game with CFG and... It works!

Thank you and btw, gonna try with usb loader gx too, just for the sake of it [​IMG]

14. bugaveli

Banned bugaveli Banned

United States
    AFAIK usb loader gx will only see fat32/ntfs partitions with hermesv4. I had the same problem. I could get my fat32 to read in cfg but not usbgx untill i messed with the ios settings and changed it to 222/223. Although I must say UsbGX HATES my fat32 drive, its very buggy so ive since switched to cfg. going to try the newest usbgx n see if it helps