Rumor? Zelda WiiU taking longer

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by ShadowSoldier, Mar 11, 2013.

Mar 11, 2013
  1. ShadowSoldier
    OP

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    This is just a rumor, or the way it's worded, but it sounds like Zelda WiiU is still a long ways off, and not just a year or two.

Source

2. Alexrose

Member Alexrose Untitled

United Kingdom
    "A little longer".. than a launch title.

Context is everything.

Either way, 2 years is nothing. Skyward Sword was 2011, do you really expect a full new Zelda in 2013/14?

Zelda II - 87
    LTTP - 91
    OOT - 98 (MM reused all models and game engine so it's not comparible to a new title, but 00)
    WW - 02
    TP - 06
    SS - 11

What in this pattern would suggest a Zelda game would come out in 14?

3. pokefloote

Member pokefloote GBAtemp Addict

United States
    There's usually one released when there's a new system, yes? SS is a special case, since it was released near the end of the wii's life but there will probably be a new one by '14. EDIT: Oh, I forgot about the WWHD remake. Well, no way we can know.

4. ShadowSoldier
    OP

Canada
    I could actually see it being out in 2014. Nintendo has been doing great as of late of giving the fans what they want. People want more Pokemon? Look what's happened. People told Nintendo that need to bring out Mario for the WiiU/show us and let there be Mario on the 3DS, look what's happening.

5. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    Wasn't this the assumption when they announced WW HD? That it was acting as something to tide fans over the long wait for the next main entry in the series?

McHaggis likes this.
  6. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    >Wind Waker
    >"tide" fans over

I get it.

NightsOwl, Foxi4 and Gahars like this.
  7. ShadowSoldier
    OP

Canada
    That's what I assumed. But I guess a lot of people assumed that the new Zelda would be coming soon...

8. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    I thought everyone knew that it was some way off? Not even expecting to even see it until 2015 at the earliest and even then there could be a delay. I reckon at this point they maybe have some kind of story for it but are still working out what they want to do and also the graphic style...which could even change mid-development.

I'm sure the next new Zelda title will be for the 3DS anyway, Iwata hinted that early last year and there was also this:

Sure there is no confirmed source but that quote also states Donkey Kong Land Returns 3DS and a HD Yoshi game...now this was posted November last year here way before Nintendo announced DKCR and the Yoshi Wii U game. Granted DKCR isn't DK Land and Yoshi Yarn whatever that'll be called isn't Yoshi Island but I'd say it was pretty good, also this guy got Kingdom Hearts 1.5 rumour spot on and Castlevania HD.
    http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/s...te-nintendos-plans-zelda-3ds-and-the-next-gen

9. McHaggis

Member McHaggis Fackin' Troller

United Kingdom
    Yes:
    Source

10. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    I don't get this rumor. Is it a rumor that "some people" expect a HD Zelda soon (with soon...erm...apparently being 2014 :unsure: ), or is it a rumor that nintendo takes longer than the non-established deadline, made up by nobody in particular?

For those of you not understanding sarcasm: this isn't a rumor. It's pure speculation. Nobody ever mentioned a release date. As such, it is impossible to say things like "sooner" or "later".

11. weavile001

Member weavile001 Spiritmaster

Brazil
    and phantom hourglass?

12. Flame

Member Flame Me > You

He's talking about the console games.

13. Arras

Member Arras ★02

Netherlands
    That list is console Zelda's only. Note how the Oracle games, Link's Awakening, Minish Cap etc. are not there either.

14. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    I know this is kinda off topic, but I would love to see one or some of the old top downers remastered in 3D.

15. Qtis

Member Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Antarctica
    Could be a system seller, but I'd rather see Mario pumped with lower quality releases instead of Zelda getting bad releases though more often. The reason is simple: Mario games have more replay value compared to Zelda games. It's not like Nintendo have a lack of IP.

16. Walker D

Member Walker D I have a hat

Brazil
    Since they're getting used to the new console and its possibilities, the game can easily take 3 to 4 years to get done
    Skyward took 4 to 5 ~

A new console Zelda game in 2013/14 is unlikely

17. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    They also do, y'know, handheld Zeldas in-between.

There were two DS Zelda games between Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword. Don't expect Zelda to be dead in the water until like 2015.

But I don't really care, I've found very few Zelda games to really feel past "average" for me. Some decent designs but nothing that sets it apart, nothing terribly memorable honestly.

18. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    take as long as you like get the fucking thing perfect this time unlike SS

19. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    When I eventually get around to owning a Nintendo console I often pick up a copy of Zelda so this is not such a problem for me.

However the "Majora's Mask does not count" idea got me curious- for my money it is the better of the N64 games by far (see also Nintendo making master quest) and it returned me to the idea of games perhaps being more than the sum of their programming. That said a sideways engine port might not happen as easily as the unreal engine based stuff between the Wii and Wii U (though architecture wise it might not be that bad) so who knows.

For the record though I hold Zelda has not be "revolutionary" for a long time and even then it was just a pretty good implementation of existing ideas.

20. Vanth88

Member Vanth88 Private

United States
    I'm assuming no one watched the Nintendo Direct that announced the HD remake of Wind Waker? it was clearly stated that Zelda was going to take a long time to develop numerous times and that they wanted to release something in the mean time and they thought Wind Waker was perfect for a remake on the Wii U.

This isn't a rumor at all and I'm pretty sure people talked about it on the old Nintendo Direct thread.