Rumor? Zelda WiiU taking longer

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is just a rumor, or the way it's worded, but it sounds like Zelda WiiU is still a long ways off, and not just a year or two.

It looks like the game won’t be coming out for a while now though, Miyamoto stated in an interview with Time that the game will take a little longer to get released. “If you look back at the launch of Wii, we were able to prepare a game like Wii Sports, which at the time was clearly a new game, and launch that alongside a Zelda game. With the Wii U, we took a similar approach by launching Nintendo Land as well as a Mario game – though we’re working on Zelda for Wii U, that’s going to take us a little big longer,” Miyamoto said.

Source

Alexrose

Untitled
Trophies
XP
Country
"A little longer".. than a launch title.

Context is everything.

Either way, 2 years is nothing. Skyward Sword was 2011, do you really expect a full new Zelda in 2013/14?

Zelda II - 87
LTTP - 91
OOT - 98 (MM reused all models and game engine so it's not comparible to a new title, but 00)
WW - 02
TP - 06
SS - 11

What in this pattern would suggest a Zelda game would come out in 14?

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's usually one released when there's a new system, yes? SS is a special case, since it was released near the end of the wii's life but there will probably be a new one by '14. EDIT: Oh, I forgot about the WWHD remake. Well, no way we can know.

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Context is everything.

Either way, 2 years is nothing. Skyward Sword was 2011, do you really expect a full new Zelda in 2013/14?

Zelda II - 87
LTTP - 91
OOT - 98 (MM reused all models and game engine so it's not comparible to a new title, but 00)
WW - 02
TP - 06
SS - 11

I could actually see it being out in 2014. Nintendo has been doing great as of late of giving the fans what they want. People want more Pokemon? Look what's happened. People told Nintendo that need to bring out Mario for the WiiU/show us and let there be Mario on the 3DS, look what's happening.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wasn't this the assumption when they announced WW HD? That it was acting as something to tide fans over the long wait for the next main entry in the series?

Reactions: McHaggis

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wasn't this the assumption when they announced WW HD? That it was acting as something to tide fans over the long wait for the next main entry in the series?

That's what I assumed. But I guess a lot of people assumed that the new Zelda would be coming soon...

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought everyone knew that it was some way off? Not even expecting to even see it until 2015 at the earliest and even then there could be a delay. I reckon at this point they maybe have some kind of story for it but are still working out what they want to do and also the graphic style...which could even change mid-development.

I'm sure the next new Zelda title will be for the 3DS anyway, Iwata hinted that early last year and there was also this:

Nintendo’s core first party line up for E3 will be the next 3D Mario game that will be out by Holiday 2013, a next Zelda adventure for the Nintendo 3DS, a double dose of Kirby with the return of Tilt ‘n Tumble for Wii U and Kirby’s Pop Up Pannick for Nintendo 3DS, a new HD Yoshi’s Island game, Donkey Kong Land Returns for Nintendo 3DS, new Fatal Frame for Wii U, the new Retro Studios title which may or may not make Holiday 2013 and two new IPs.

Sure there is no confirmed source but that quote also states Donkey Kong Land Returns 3DS and a HD Yoshi game...now this was posted November last year here way before Nintendo announced DKCR and the Yoshi Wii U game. Granted DKCR isn't DK Land and Yoshi Yarn whatever that'll be called isn't Yoshi Island but I'd say it was pretty good, also this guy got Kingdom Hearts 1.5 rumour spot on and Castlevania HD.
http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/s...te-nintendos-plans-zelda-3ds-and-the-next-gen

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes:
The reason I wanted to show you these pictures today is because our new Zelda title looks like it is going to take some time to complete // so I wanted to report that while you're waiting for that game to release // we intend to offer you The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, reborn on Wii U, to play in the meantime.
Source

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I don't get this rumor. Is it a rumor that "some people" expect a HD Zelda soon (with soon...erm...apparently being 2014 :unsure: ), or is it a rumor that nintendo takes longer than the non-established deadline, made up by nobody in particular?

For those of you not understanding sarcasm: this isn't a rumor. It's pure speculation. Nobody ever mentioned a release date. As such, it is impossible to say things like "sooner" or "later".

weavile001

Spiritmaster
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

Context is everything.

Zelda II - 87
LTTP - 91
WW - 02
TP - 06
SS - 11

and phantom hourglass?

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Could be a system seller, but I'd rather see Mario pumped with lower quality releases instead of Zelda getting bad releases though more often. The reason is simple: Mario games have more replay value compared to Zelda games. It's not like Nintendo have a lack of IP.

Walker D

I have a hat
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Since they're getting used to the new console and its possibilities, the game can easily take 3 to 4 years to get done
Skyward took 4 to 5 ~

A new console Zelda game in 2013/14 is unlikely

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They also do, y'know, handheld Zeldas in-between.

There were two DS Zelda games between Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword. Don't expect Zelda to be dead in the water until like 2015.

But I don't really care, I've found very few Zelda games to really feel past "average" for me. Some decent designs but nothing that sets it apart, nothing terribly memorable honestly.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
When I eventually get around to owning a Nintendo console I often pick up a copy of Zelda so this is not such a problem for me.

However the "Majora's Mask does not count" idea got me curious- for my money it is the better of the N64 games by far (see also Nintendo making master quest) and it returned me to the idea of games perhaps being more than the sum of their programming. That said a sideways engine port might not happen as easily as the unreal engine based stuff between the Wii and Wii U (though architecture wise it might not be that bad) so who knows.

For the record though I hold Zelda has not be "revolutionary" for a long time and even then it was just a pretty good implementation of existing ideas.

Vanth88

Private
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm assuming no one watched the Nintendo Direct that announced the HD remake of Wind Waker? it was clearly stated that Zelda was going to take a long time to develop numerous times and that they wanted to release something in the mean time and they thought Wind Waker was perfect for a remake on the Wii U.

This isn't a rumor at all and I'm pretty sure people talked about it on the old Nintendo Direct thread.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://gbatemp.net/profile-posts/163064/