RUMOR- Sonic Colors first details (development and style)

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by granville, May 28, 2010.

1. granville
    OP

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    Have it known that at this time, this is a RUMOR and SPECULATION. It may change. Here are the first rumored details about what the game will be like and what's up with the development-

- developed for the younger crowd
    - developed by the 'storybook' team (Secret Rings, Black Knight)
    - storybook franchise has been killed off, following poor sales of Sonic and the Black Knight
    - not a huge learning curve
    - marketed to general, mainstream Wii owners
    - early press hands-on seem positive
    - Tail's playability may only be available in multiplayer
    - pointing/touching of in-game items
    - may have some gameplay elements that liken it to Super Mario Galaxy
    - playable at E3

Doesn't look too far off for a rumor. I dunno what to expect till we get some gameplay screens or videos. In TRUE confirmed news, the Wii version is being developed solely by Sonic Team. The DS version will be dually developed by Sonic Team and Dimps. If the past is anything to go by with Dimps, the DS version might end up being superior! [​IMG]

http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=125057

2. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    I have a feeling it's going to be like Sonic and the Secret Rings, where you run along straight pathways and drift left and right across it.

3. Goli

Member Goli RPG

Chile
    i hope that's not what they meant when saying it mixed 2D and 3D [​IMG].

4. ore0

Member ore0 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    ... There might have been some other important information, but I could only see this.. At first I put it off as something stupid, but take away the "aim for children" and my dead hope for sonic adventure 3 went off. Too bad they're gonna mess it up.

5. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Read that and all anticipation was gone. Why they keep the same team that make shitty games time and time again is beyond me. If they made a good enough Sonic game it'd not only sell well but play well too.

6. granville
    OP

United States
    I'm beginning to think they just can't anymore though. Sonic 4 will be the one that says whether they still have any talent or not. If that fails in gameplay, i can only conclude that SEGA just lost whatever talent they had in the early 90's. As it is though, Dimps was doing a remarkable job with the Advance series IMO. The first one at least captured the classic feel.

@ore0

I kind of get the feeling that they already tried and squandered an attempt to make a Sonic Adventure 3 with Sonic 06. It kind of looked like that was what they were going for in terms of stage design and overall style. Too bad they had to put in that god awful story, have crappy playable characters, and rush the game when the developers clearly said it needed quite a bit longer to cook before release. Go figure...

7. Rock Raiyu

Member Rock Raiyu Clock Up

United States
    Well there goes Sonic and the Jungle Book.

8. Prophet

Member Prophet Resident Black Militant

United States
    You'd have to be a masochist to have any anticipation for a new Sonic game at this point. As far as I'm concerned there were no more sonic games after Sonic CD.

9. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    even if there will be a game, it will just suck, nothing to see here, move on

10. granville
    OP

United States
    So you didn't like Sonic 3 and Knuckles either? I have liked a few Sonic games since then. The Advance games were fun for me at least. I have heard from people who have gotten their hands on test versions of Sonic 4 that it sucks though. We'll see.

11. T3GZdev

Member T3GZdev head of T3GZdev

United States
    ok 1st of all just becouse it has the name colors in the nam e doesnt mean its for kids.
    2nd sonic isnt really ment for kids in 1st place.
    3rd its also gonna be on DS, so its a Wii & DS title.
    4th the little guys flying around sonic in the trailer appear to have same color ar chaos emeralds, maby there aliens.

12. heavyknight

Member heavyknight GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Better be more like Sonic Unleashed's day stages..those were lovely.

Though if the DS is going 2D a la Sonic Advance....it better not be like 3, so many holes/pits...

'- developed for the younger crowd' is a bit of a turn off though.

13. Rock Raiyu

Member Rock Raiyu Clock Up

United States
    Fixed

14. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    hype level decreased by 50%!

15. GreatZimkogway

Member GreatZimkogway Touhou Fanatic

United States
    This. SA2(B) was downright awesome. I haven't liked a Sonic game since it, though. Besides the Advance series.

Personally, I think the reason is that they're trying way too hard. Games now aren't the same as games then. Now-a-days, you can't really please a large crowd. Plus, back then, you had much less to work with. Games could be simplex then. Now, everyone wants to have everything in a single game, making everything either too complex, or too cluttered to be good.

16. Master Mo

Member Master Mo F.R.E.E.

Germany
    Well, I actually really liked SonicATSRings (even thought Black Knight was just pretty meh) and the Daytime-Stages of SonicUnleashed so I would be happy, if they would go with one of those gameplay-styles for SonicColour.

Hopefully they`ll concentrate on the Sonic gameplay, since they tend to tag on things that kids like (kids love the Werehog, get over it [​IMG]), but aren`t very appealing for "gamers"...

17. shito

Member shito GBAtemp Fan

Brazil
    so it's going to be like unleashed, wii version is made by sonic team and DS version by dimps?

18. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    no one knows what it's going to be like yet. by the sounds of it though it's aimed at kidz

19. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Wii version may turn out meh at best but DS may be better. Dimps have done the best Sonic games since Sonic & Knuckles (Sonic Advance, Sonic Rush & Sonic Pocket Adventure...though that one was sort of like a port).

Sonic Team just seem to add too much needless stuff and can't seem to make a good 3D camera.

20. BlueStar

Member BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    How can Sonic be changed to be aimed at kids? From the first game it was always twee characters and a cartoon hedgehog with a sassy attitude. If anything they've tried to make is more 'mature' with stupid shit like guns and swords and werewolves and we all know how that turned out.