Rumor: Nintendo planning on buying Sega!

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll consider the Sonic Cycle "broken" when it makes a game on par with Mario games.

Like Sonic 1, 2, and 3 were of competitive quality with Mario 1, 2, and 3. Everything after that, not really. Sonic Generations basically had to be better than Super Mario Galaxy 2. It wasn't.

I agree with this 110%

I enjoyed Sonic Colors on the Wii, but it was not on par with Galaxy in the slightest. I always thought that if Sega wanted to make a 3D Sonic game they should, but in the same breath they should have also given the 2D fans something to play too.

I love the way Nintendo is handling it with the whole Mario franchise with doing 3D and 2D games. Sure they are not perfect games but they are at least enjoyable platformers. (I compare all platformers to Super Mario World on the SNES... lol)

I totally loved Sonic 1-3 on the Genesis.

keran22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are a couple of reasons that this won't happen. While I could see a merger as a distinct possibility (some kind of Sega-Nintendo company with both names in the title) I can't see Ninty simply buying up Sega. The cost would be too prohibitive - SEGA is currently very profitable, not least due to the wild success of its Football Manager series, which alone must be worth close to a hundred million. Those games are money making machines.

The merger idea I only suggest as a possibility and a very unlikely one at that. Probably never going to happen. But if it did, you know the Sega/Nintendo console would sell a lot of units. Even if it's just a handheld!

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
How can you compare a Sonic game, which fails to live up to it's potential with bad physics, remade level ideas(Sonic 4 episode 1's level themes were all present in Sonic 1 and episode 2's - in Sonic 2) and is overall an average 2D platformer with a game that has the best classic physics since the Genesis days, best 3D level design(while keeping the speed up), tons of content and an awesome modding community?
I guess that every person has their own opinion, like the fact that I would prefer Sonic Generations over Mario Galaxy(yes, I said it), but to me Sonic Generations is miles better than what Sega calls Sonic 4.

Well when you consider that not everybody is hung up on Sonic 4's physics, and some of us still manage to enjoy the game regardless. I don't think they're 'bad'. They're a little confusing at first, and definitely could be better, but I still found the game more enjoyable than Sonic 3...

The problem with Sonic Generations on the PC, for me, is that you the 2D levels are too busy, you can't see an enemy until you've been sunk, and even then it sometimes takes a few seconds to spot it. Also, the 3D gameplay. This is the biggest problem... 3D sonic sucks. 3D platformers in general suck. I mean Super Mario 3D Land *almost* didn't suck, but that was because it was *almost* 2D.

Now I know everybody has their own opinions and some people love 3D platformers. But if you don't, then you're screwed after act 1 of generations... you need to complete the 3D portion before you can play the next level. This was a massive flaw in the philosophy of Sonic Generations in general. On the 3DS it wasn't *quite* so bad because 'modern' sonic was surprisingly fun, but when I bought the game I expected that you'd essentially have 2 games. One game going through the levels as classic sonic, and one as modern sonic. But no, you need to complete both styles to pass. If you don't like 3D Sonic you're forced to play it just to get to the next 2D levels, and if you're only interested in 3D Sonic, you still have to trudge through the 2D levels to progress.

It's probably a great game for those who like both styles, but it alienates both camps who only like one style.

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Fuck Sonic Adventure. Just release a Chao Garden mobile app and watch the cash flow in!

In any event, I doubt Nintendo would buy Sega as the company would have less of an audience to target due to releasing on only Nintendo systems. Doesn't sound terribly profitable.

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some people are going to go "Man what's wrong with you" but I want a Sonic and The Secret Rings remake. Of course I'd like a Sonic Adventure 3 on the Wii U more.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Some people are going to go "Man what's wrong with you" but I want a Sonic and The Secret Rings remake. Of course I'd like a Sonic Adventure 3 on the Wii U more.
Man, what's wrong with you!?

I liked Generations, and Colors was pretty good. Sonic 4 was disappointing, Black Knight was atrocious, and 06 nearly killed Sonic.

If Nintendo were to buy Sega, some of the developers from Mario Galaxy could work on a 3D Sonic game, and we'd be set.

ieatpixels

Trophies
XP
Country
Haven't read all the replies here, but I saw the video. I was expecting someone high up talking, who's this youtube hiphop gamer guy? What's his source?
It really doesn't look like anyone said this was might actually happen. Just all theoretical.

Although on topic, I see no upside to Ninty buying Segy. It's not like Ninten-don't neglect franchises and expected releases. We're already getting sonic appearances on Nintendo games too.
And there are Sega games exclusive to other consoles which would be lost. (Yakuza for example)
Most games, the serious ones at least, are and will be better on Xbox/Playstation than the gimicky Nintendo consoles. I for one would prefer a/the new Shenmue on PS3 than Wii U.
Maybe this rumor has came from the fact that Bayonetta 2 is Wii U exclusive and there aren't any name worthy Sega games coming to the other consoles soon. (Not counting PSO2 since it's for friggen phones.)

If anything I too believe them buying Sega would be the death of Sega.
Nintendo don't seem to have enough resources to keep their own first party and second party titles alive let alone more.

Requios

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Not enough resources"? Nintendo? lol.

They got enough to sustain themselves for a long time.

Perhaps. People are always talking about how bad Nintendo sucks, and yet the Wii has still managed to outsell the PS3 and 360. That's not to say the software lineup was strong though. Their handheld market, however, is something that will remain strong for a good while. True, they've been making annual losses, but so have Sony and Microsoft. Just because a company is making annual losses, that doesn't mean they're doing piss poor. Part of it is economy, and part of it, according to sales statistics anyway, is that people have taken more interest in iPads and iPhones over the last couple of years.

As for the whole Nintendo buying Sega rumor, I'm still a little unsure of how it would turn out. I feel like Sonic would be the only franchise they would salvage from it. Hopefully though, they would actually help make it better. The only Sonic I purchased after the Genesis days was the Sonic Mega Collection and Gems Collection for the Gamecube. To this day, Sonic CD and Sonic 3 & Knuckles remain my favorites. Otherwise, Valkyria Chronicles was the only worth while release from Sega on the current generation of gaming.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They should've just made it a movie at 50 minutes
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    No from Paramount Plus or whatever it is
    +1
    Psi now has access to every streaming and cable channel out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Eh I'd rather just download and delete is it already up on paramount?
    Yeah it's on now
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, why are most new south park episodes half hour specials?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Psionic Roshambo, let me get a Netflix account I've always been nice to you
    +1
    I made a honey pepper glazed turkey breast for dinner turned out pretty bomb
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We can Netflix and chill
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Nvm not half hour, but hour long
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Normal south park episodes are already half hour
    Got 2 free Xumo boxes they work pretty good
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm happy to get anything most series don't make it pass 6 seasons
    Except Stars and Encore those are being a bitch lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I may consider that onn pro box finally a media box with type A ;O
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, cuz the companies don't want em to
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No it's revenue and demand south park could argue has a bigger audience than family guy about the same
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Family guy is worth 300mill south parks worth 1Bill according to the interwebs
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, probably cuz family guy is more disliked compared to south park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It just does the same formula south park can press buttons without going overboard
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    And bc most of the family guy budget is spent on the voice actors rather than on the animation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Southpark could spend 30k on a animated dick and people would laugh at it
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    lol one prescription to Lizzo
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    who is lizzo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn