BrightNeko

Popcorn ball
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Here is hoping it is other m director's competent cut.

Anyway on topic I'm curious what it will actually be since the unreal engine has been used in many ways. Will it be the long awaited 5th entry or will we get another mid-quel? Hell maybe they'll give into the horribly guessed at fan theory that metroid dread is a thing

rt141

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://gbatemp.net/topic/317644-metroid-prime-ran-on-unreal-engine-2/
It doesn't especify if the whole series or just one or two of the games. But isn't it common sense to expect better looking games each gen?
At any rate my mind melts at the thought of a metroid game running on anything similar to UE3.
Anyways, all next gen consoles will probably have more proccessing and graphic power than the developers can actually use and still make the game affordable.Even if the games run in UE3 or UE4 or 6 or whatever

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Too bad the next gen is gonna be running Unreal Engine 4.

PARADE SUCCESSFULLY RAINED UPON.
I hope you're not getting excited for your new ex bawks to be running Samaritan. That's a massive longshot.
Of course, what with your brand loyalty towards Xbox and Playstation, you're probably used to disappointment
THUNDER AND LIGHTNING

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I hope you're not getting excited for your new ex bawks to be running Samaritan...
Don't want to burst your bubble or anything, but Samaritan is based on Unreal Engine 3. That, and it's been optimized to run on low-end machines already - it no longer needs a super-rig.

Wintrale

Trophies
XP
Country
I think Sony and Microsoft are well aware that their next consoles need to be powerful enough to run Unreal Engine 4. It isn't a longshot at all.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Other M wasn't bad, the only problem was the unnecessary voice acting
And the story was just plain meh. The game is a good game, but a bad for a Metroid game.
I think the story was alright - it's the execution of it that's slightly botched.

The gaming mechanics were spot-on - that's how I'd like to play my Metroid games. Samus was also given a human side - perhaps overly emotional, but at least she had some sort of expressions. For years I thought Samus was a guy since as a kid, I rarely finished my games. When the Internet kicked in and I realized Samus is a woman, I was *quite shocked*. Here everything's plain and obvious - she's a gal and she cares for the baby metroid. She cares for it too much, but hey!

Relevant:

[yt]WCAPk4cFRa4[/yt]

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And the story was just plain meh. The game is a good game, but a bad for a Metroid game.

The story itself as a whole I thought was horrific. I beat the game and sat through the two hour movie of it. @Gahars suffered through it with me, he knows what I mean.

First off, take away all the other "themes" and it's a straightforward plot. Samus goes to a space station to shoot aliens. Not gripping at all. But the story REALLY gets bad when they start incorporating themes.

The first one is the blatant and obvious sexism. I don't consider myself some femi-Nazi in anyway, but even I acknowledged the sexism here. Samus is dependent on Adam like some 50's housewife. She lives to serve the man in the relationship. Even when it comes to turning on her goddamn envirosuit to protect against heat, she still doesn't do that and waits for Adam to call him and say "Oh yeah, activate that envirosuit, will ya?" I could understand the missiles, bombs, other weapons since yeah, they could prove hazardous. But the fact that Samus would run into a fucking fire without protection because daddy Adam didn't say so doesn't just show she has respect for Adam, it shows she's batshit crazy obsessed with him. Even in the later game, when Adam shoots her to stop her from stopping him from basically going on a suicide mission, the imagery of having her be weak and powerless over big man Adam just felt really wrong with everything else in the game. It wasn't a relationship of respect, it was a relationship of abuse, where Samus is so conditioned to please her man that she'll basically take unnecessary risks and bend over backwards for him. For any new character this would be bad. For Samus, who was shaped rather masterly in Prime to be strong, independent, and a loner, it's character assassination of the worst kind.

Then there's the Ridley thing. Samus is shaped in every other game to be a strong, fearless, independent woman. She fights Ridley like twice in other games before it. But when Other M comes around, she starts breaking down like some frail little girl with some PTSD shit that made no fucking clue. So what happens? She needs a big strong man to save her because she's a weak little girl.

This doesn't even bring up the plot holes or gameplay elements. They developed this whole murder mystery thing which they never actually told you about in the end. They dropped it completely and they never actually told you who it was. Drawing your own conclusions from evidence works when it's mysterious easter eggs in like Portal, for something they emphasize heavily as a plot arc in Other M, it's terrible writing. Also the black guy with the Spartan laser obviously gets knocked into lava, you see him falling to his death in a pit of lava. But then apparently he just landed on something that wasn't lava or something and walked it off to help you in the end.

Then there's the gameplay. Exploration was alright but combat was awful. Basically mash the D-Pad for random dodging and mash A for shooting. Changing to missiles was just a dumb decision and made almost any type of fluid missile-using combat impossible. Using a D-Pad for movement in a 3D environment is also a dumbass decision when I thought every Wii came with a nunchuck and like almost every other "hardcore" Nintendo title uses it, from Twilight Princess to Super Mario Galaxy to even the boxing game in Wii Sports.

I would easily mark it as the lowest point in the series for emphasizing on a plot that was awful and having gameplay elements that didn't feel necessary at all. It's a complete mess of a game and a giant red mark on the otherwise positive report card of Metroid.

BUT I DIGRESS.

Reactions: 5 people

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
I hope you're not getting excited for your new ex bawks to be running Samaritan...
Don't want to burst your bubble or anything, but Samaritan is based on Unreal Engine 3. That, and it's been optimized to run on low-end machines already - it no longer needs a super-rig.
Nvidia needs to step up their act then, because the main event at yesterday's press event in China was having Samaritan run on a GTX 690. Far better than their last event, in which they ran it on tripple-SLI GTX 680s

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Nvidia needs to step up their act then, because the main event at yesterday's press event in China was having Samaritan run on a GTX 690. Far better than their last event, in which they ran it on tripple-SLI GTX 680s
I am willing to wages that by the time the PS4 and NextBox are released, the demo will be fully optimized to run on them. Nintendo is playing the catching up game againts Sony and Microsoft while those two have little pressure on them and can afford to wait as games nowadays still work on their systems. Barely, but they do.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I could go on about why the storyline is horrid, but Guild has pretty much covered all the bases. If you want more on that awful excuse for a story, and the disturbing implications it raises, this is a very interesting read.

Choice Quote:
In light of this obsession with Samus’ femininity, is the story’s treatment of her sexist? Frankly? Yes. Yes, it is. It’s impossible to ignore that the same game which goes to such ridiculous lengths to emphasize Samus’ sex is also the game that romanticizes her submission to abuse at the hands of a male authority figure. At best, this was a very unfortunate coincidence. At worst, it may be that putting Samus in this kind of relationship reflects the author’s female ideal.

Unfortunately, in addition to simple sexism, the way Other M idealizes the sick relationship at the heart of the story unavoidably gives the real appearance of misogyny. If the sexes had been reversed and a comparable story had been written about male bounty hunter Seamus Aran and his former commanding officer Eve Malkovich, I’d be forced to wonder whether the author had a poorly-disguised femdom fetish, and possibly serious issues with men.

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If the game played like how that mod screenshot looks, it would be absolutely amazing.

Third person with the on-screen cross hair. Then with the option to either play with the stylus to aim or dual analog. It would be perfect.

Add some online multiplayer in there while they're at it.

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: See ya see ya later later