[[Rumor]] Insomniac Going Multiplatform?

Vidboy10

Tsardom
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
500x_insomniac360.jpg
QUOTE said:
According to "a trusted source", IGN is reporting that Insomniac Games - creators of both Resistance and Ratchet & Clank - is about to abandon the land of PS3 exclusivity and become a multiplatform developer.

Despite long ties to the PlayStation brand, Sony doesn't own the studio, so if the team decided to go and make games for the Xbox 360 (or the PC or Wii), there'd be nothing stopping them.

With both the developer's flagship properties, Resistance and Ratchet & Clank being Sony-published titles, don't expect to see them appear on a different system. But Insomniac's next project? If this turns out to be true, it could be developed for as many platforms as the studio's heart desires.
Source

luke_c

Big Boss
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
ZeroTm said:
Never cared for rachet and clank, so no big deal for me.
Try reading the post again.

I think this is for the best, Insomniac have alot of talent and shouldnt be restricted to one console, at least we still have Ratchet and Clank and Resistance

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just because Sony published Ratchet and Clank games in the past, doesn't mean they can't switch publishers particularly with future games in the series. It happens all the time, especially with third party publishers. Square Enix normally publishes their Dragon Quest series, but Dragon Quest IX is being published by Nintendo for its US release. It's not unheard of.

I'm a big fan of Insomniac. I go way back to their Spyro days before that franchise was taken over by (bad) hands. I hope the same doesn't happen with Ratchet and Clank because i love those games as well. I'm a sucker for platformers like those.

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
I really liked the Spyro games, but I don't like any of their new games. I wouldn't be that interested to play a Wii game from Insomniac.

This could be quite bad for Sony though. This is one of the studios that has always made popular PlayStation exclusives. I don't know why Sony doesn't already own them... I think they will soon.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do love Insomniac. Spyro the Dragon games for the PSX are fucking amazing. To this date, Spyro 3 is the only game I've gotten full completion it. I think I finished all 107% of the game. Ratchet and Clank is also good too. I hope they do go multiplatform and hopefully make some classic franchises for Nintendo/Microsoft systems.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd be interested in getting Spyro 1-3 remakes on DS or another system, but i don't think they own the rights anymore for ANY of those games they developed. It's owned by universal now apparently. Not sure if they can even revisit old games anymore... Sad. Oh and i doubt they'd let them now that they started that Legend of Spyro garbage. Doubt they'd want to mess with the old canon anymore, which is very retarded considering it never needed a reboot at all. >_>

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I like how they put the 360 there and then add PC and Wii in brackets xD.

I would love to see Ratchet and Clank go to 360. I have always wanted to get the game, but didn't own a Play Station. Now, I just hope it gets to 360.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ratchet games or their FPS games? I doubt you'll see Ratchet on PC at least. It's sadly quite rare we get any platformers on PC anymore. Not that i wouldn't just love it, i would.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
granville said:
I'd be interested in getting Spyro 1-3 remakes on DS or another system, but i don't think they own the rights anymore for ANY of those games they developed. It's owned by universal now apparently. Not sure if they can even revisit old games anymore... Sad. Oh and i doubt they'd let them now that they started that Legend of Spyro garbage. Doubt they'd want to mess with the old canon anymore, which is very retarded considering it never needed a reboot at all. >_>

Well, the point is that Spyro is now multiplatform. If they decide to pick him up again, they won't be limited to a Sony platform. A multiplatform Spyro 4 anybody? By the same dev team as Spyro 3?

Placeholder

Trophies
XP
Country
I'd love to see remakes or ports of the original Spyro games. They were awesome! So many happy memories...

Also, Ratchet was pretty good IIRC. I'd like to give that another go.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hate to say it, but Insomniac ever developing a new Spyro game is likely very very slim. Pretty sure they actually sold the rights to the game to Universal or whoever makes those crappy Legend games nowadays. Unless the current owning company contracts Insomniac themselves to make a new one (very unlikely), i doubt we'll be seeing a true Spyro 4 anytime soon. And even if they did want Insomniac back, i doubt Insomniac would even agree to make another game. Plus the series has officially been killed off and rebooted now.

Not that i wouldn't love them to make a true Spyro 4 again. Spyro 1-3 were some of my favorite PS1 games and really great platformers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended