[Rumor] Borderlands 2 Confirmed?

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Guild McCommunist, Aug 2, 2011.

Aug 2, 2011
  1. Guild McCommunist
    OP

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    I'm keeping this in the USN as I still see it as a rumor. Normally I'd frontpage this if it was absolutely confirmed.

Borderlands 2 is in development at Gearbox Software, Eurogamer understands.

We've heard an announcement from publisher 2K Games will be made soon.

A source close to the game told Eurogamer the Gearbox-developed shooter will release on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 next year.

Borderlands 2 has been rumoured for months now. In April Borderlands 2 was spotted on a game developer's online CV – sparking speculation that the sequel will be announced at E3 in June.

Following that revelation, Gearbox boss Randy Pitchford told Eurogamer the Duke Nukem Forever developer had every intention of revisiting the Borderlands franchise at some point in the future.

"I can tell you that myself and everyone at Gearbox LOVES Borderlands and we have been absolutely thrilled at the reception it's gotten from our customers and the fact that it's sold over four million units now," he said.

"So you can see that we supported the game like mad with lots of great DLC and you can imagine that we're going to want to do a lot of things with Borderlands in the future.

"But we've only announced what we've announced. If we haven't announced it, it doesn't exist.

"Plans and efforts towards the future always exist with a forward looking studio like Gearbox, of course," he continued, "but brainstorming and blue sky research and development should never be allowed to be construed into a customer promise.

"A customer promise should not be made until that promise becomes sufficiently clear and ready and the commitment is there to deliver upon the promise."

The 2009 co-op fuelled shooter was a hit with critics and gamers, and publisher 2K Games has described a sequel as "a no-brainer". Eurogamer's Borderlands review looted an 8/10.

2K had not responded to Eurogamer at the time of publication.
    [/p]

Source

I loved Borderlands and I'd die for a sequel. I just wish they didn't waste their time on Duke Nukem Forever over this.

2. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Think they're probably busy with the likes of Brothers in Arms: Furious 4 & Aliens: Colonial Marines before they actually start proper development on this. Its probably in its early conceptual stages at the moment.

3. Scott-105

Member Scott-105 Bow to me. Please?

Canada
    It'll be pretty awesome if it comes out.

4. ShawnTRods

Member ShawnTRods GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    I have been playing the first and its really great [​IMG].
    Would be great if its true!

5. Berthenk

Member Berthenk Epitome of Awesomeness

Netherlands
    Ah, Borderlands... I liked that game. Just that. Stealth was nonexistent, which is a shame, in my opinion. Makes snipers kinda useless. Also, you see the same damn monsters everywhere in the game which gets boring after a while...

I guess I'll check the sequel when it's released; maybe even acquire it if there's no demo...

6. ShawnTRods

Member ShawnTRods GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    I actually like that there are monsters everywhere lol.
    In Fallout you woudnt find anything to kill! [​IMG]

But yeah, stealth is pretty much non-existent. Once you shoot they come running after you within seconds lol.

7. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    Borderlands...I have mixed feelings about that game. The fact that it didn't take itself seriously I liked, but there was this evanescent feeling of mediocrity lingering over me as I played it. There's a lot they can and need to improve on, such as adding more enemies, making the world more open and filling it up more, making more classes- a bunch of things.

8. wrettcaughn

Member wrettcaughn Misunderstood Moral Elitist

United States
    lol...Pandora was HUGE! especially with all of the DLC areas
    There was plenty to do. I've played through the game 4 times (1st and 2nd playthrough) and am still not bored on my fifth playthrough.

How many classes can they possibly do with a game like that? You have to be able to play through the entire game solo with each class as well as co-op. I can't imagine playing through an entire solo game as a "medic" type class.

The only thing I can almost agree on is diversity in enemies...though, I can't say that it took away from the game for me. Battles are still intense with the mix of elemental effects the different "enemy upgrades" have.

I personally can't wait for Borderlands 2, even if it's the same exact game gameplay-wise with a new story.

9. machomuu

United States
    But it was so boring, it didn't have any real unique features, there were no cities or towns, and I understand that this is a wasteland, but still.

10. Guild McCommunist
    OP

United States
    Borderlands is not Fallout.

It's meant to play like older loot based dungeon crawlers but it's in the first person and uses guns and stuff. I think it's unfair to criticize it for lacking what Fallout has because it's not designed to be like Fallout. You went out, grabbed loot, sold it, traded it, or kept it, and then went back out for more loot. That's how it worked.

EDIT: As for your classes complaint, it's a 4-player co-op game with 4 classes. Why do you want more classes? Borderlands is not TF2 either.

Borderlands was a fantastic game and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

11. Qtis

Member Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Antarctica
    Excellent! If this is true, I'm a happy man. Actually own the original Borderlands and the GOTY edition. Something that I never regret buying.. Oh the Zombie madness with DLC [​IMG]

-Qtis

12. wrettcaughn

Member wrettcaughn Misunderstood Moral Elitist

United States
    well, considering Borderlands is a shooter first, RPG second, I'm not sure what you can expect as far as "towns". I didn't see the interaction as being too far removed from the past 2 Fallout games... In Fallout everyone had something to say but that doesn't mean it was worth hearing [​IMG]

13. machomuu

United States
    It needs more classes for more variety, either way I don't like the current ones.

14. Guild McCommunist
    OP

United States
    The four ones they have work fine and cover the essential roles. Considering most dungeon crawlers seem to keep it to around 3 classes (generic warrior, generic rogue/ranger, generic mage), 4 was more than enough here. Asking for any more would mean that any team of four would be lacking in some area instead of being well rounded. That is, if you're able to get a team of four.

I'm just kinda sensing that you don't really get how loot games work. Or maybe I don't get them. Who knows.

15. machomuu

United States
    I guess it's just not my kind of game. I really am asking for to much, now that you put it in perspective.

16. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    All this talk of Borderlands wants me to get the first game. I'll be sure to grab it next time it's on offer on Steam.

17. SparkFenix

Member SparkFenix GBAtemp Fan

Portugal
    Bought it for 12€ on steam last christmas, worth every cent.

18. TheDarkSeed

Member TheDarkSeed I'm a pretentious sack of shit

United States
    Wait, so there's a rumor that Borderlands 2 is confirmed? [​IMG]

19. Chhotu uttam

Member Chhotu uttam DOH HO HO HO

India
    I lost the offer coz I didn't had enough money.

Borderlands 2 wait I'm coming.

Hope this game has the same or better co-op than the old one [​IMG]

20. Qtis

Member Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Antarctica
    Thehut.com. 'Nuff said. Worth the cash for the PC, worth the cash for the PS3/XBOX360 versions [​IMG]

-Qtis