Rumble testing app besides DiagnoSe?

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Vague Rant, Oct 16, 2008.

Oct 16, 2008
  1. Vague Rant
    OP

Member Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Australia
    I was just talking to my girlfriend about an app I have for my phone called MasturbatorPro, which basically lets you run the phone's vibrate function either constantly or on and off with various frequencies. While I've never actually used it for its intended purpose, it's great as a testing app, and I was wondering if the DS has anything similar. I'm aware of DiagnoSe, but for whatever reason the rumble test does not work with my 3-in-1. It's not busted in any way, however; rumble works fine in commercial games, so I was wondering if there are any other testing apps I could try out. Thanks for any help.

2. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    You probably just need to enable rumble on the 3-in-1 before you launch DiagnoSe (I'm guessing it doesn't support the 3-in-1 directly). If GBA ExpLoader supports soft reset on your slot 1 cart you can just use it, though if you normally use some other loader for the 3-in-1 you should back up your saves first.

3. Vague Rant
    OP

Australia
    I actually use the EZ-Flash V, which (obviously) already supports the 3-in-1's rumble, so all I have to do is enable rumble in the menu. This works fine for all games I've tried, but DiagnoSe doesn't cause my 3-in-1 to rumble. Also, GBAExpLoader's rumble and RAM options don't work on the EZ-V, because the EZ-V initialises the 3-in-1 on boot, so any settings you make in GBAExpLoader are made moot.

4. Destructobot

United States
    Hmm. The EZ-V resetting the 3-in-1 shoots down most of my ideas.

You could try that crappy old rumble patcher, but I don't have any idea if it will work for homebrew. You could also try the original 3-in-1 test app (triplecard_sample, not copyTest), but I don't know if it will work on the newer 3-in-1 hardware, if that's what you have.

5. Vague Rant
    OP

Australia
    Huh, interesting. I tried that triplecard_sample and the rumble in that works fine (although a warning to anyone else who tries it, it erases NOR before doing anything else). I also tried running DiagnoSe on my brother's R4 with GBAExpLoader, and that worked also; it looks like something is up with the way the EZ-V firmware sets up rumble, except for the fact that it works in the sample app.

6. Destructobot

United States
    The EZ-V kernel probably resets the 3-in-1 as soon as it starts up, then doesn't do anything to the 3-in-1 when it launches homebrew apps.

I suppose you could ask windirt to add a feature to enable rumble manually. Other than that, as long as the EZ-V is resetting the 3-in-1, the homebrew apps will have to support the 3-in-1 directly like the sample app does for rumble to work.

If you have any coding skills (I don't) you could probably just rip the NOR stuff out of the test app and have it go straight to the rumble test.