Router question

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Pyrmon, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Pyrmon
    OP

Pyrmon Burnin' Monkey Love

Sep 25, 2010
    Canada
    Montreal
    Hello, I'm away from my home and I have a quick question. If I have a PC connected to a wireless network that I do not have access to physically via an antenna and an old linksys router, is there a way to extend that wireless signal using the router I have? If so, how?

2. Magsor

Magsor I am watching you

Dec 1, 2010
    Canada
    Amos
    It is possible to extend signal via a router but not all router support this. You have to use the bridge mode. What router do you have?

3. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    There exists a number of range extending and repeating solutions. The first question to make everything easier - are you able to run a wire from the router to a better location? Secondly, are you in the same electrical loop? Thirdly, do you have open access to the router to set this up?

4. Pyrmon
    OP

Pyrmon Burnin' Monkey Love

Sep 25, 2010
    Canada
    Montreal
    I have no access to the router with the access to the internet. None whatsoever. It is in a different building. I receive the connection by an antenna attached to the PC and would like to use the free Ethernet port to hook up the second router to the network and broadcast a wireless signal that routes back to the first, functioning, network.

5. blainy

blainy GBAtemp Fan

Nov 1, 2008
    australia
    you could try conectify, which is an app that turns your pc into a wireless hotspot..

http://connectify.me/

6. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    Your only hope then is the wireless bridge, which is outside my field of knowledge.

7. Magsor

Magsor I am watching you

Dec 1, 2010
    Canada
    Amos
    so it come back to this. What router do you have?