NULL

Rough guess on 5.5.0 jailbreak?

Discussion in 'PS4 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Ty_, May 28, 2018.

1. Ty_
    OP

Ty_ GBAtemp Fan

May 22, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I'm really new to PS4 hacking and currently getting up to speed, but I'll try to keep the noob questions to a minimum.

My understanding is the time taken to go from the release of 5.0.5 firmware to exploit was about 4 months. My PS4 is currently on 5.5.0 so I've missed the boat with the latest jailbreak. I'm wondering how long the exploit for 5.5.0 will take to develop, though I understand it's "as long as it takes" so I'm just looking at educated guesses.

I'd assume because the latest exploit went from 4.x to 5.x it's a bigger, more complex step than going from 5.x to another 5.x (i.e 5.0 to 5.5), therefore a longer than usual development time. So would the 5.5 exploit be a shorter wait than this latest one, or is it effectively the same level of complexity?

2. _______

_______  

May 13, 2016
    Japan
    There's no such thing as 'usual development time' for exploits. If they were found and then patched by Sony, and if the devs happen to have time during that period, sure we got homebrew for that version.

Otherwise it could be forever. See how fast Switch homebrew has been going and how dead Xbox One homebrew has been? You got the idea. And stop asking. If you searched here you'd know this has been asked like 5 billion times already.

3. Axido

Axido GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 12, 2014
    Germany
    Mathieulh states that he already has a kexploit in that firmware range, so... well... It could be anything between soon and never.

Hayato213 and Ty_ like this.
  4. mikey420

mikey420 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 11, 2015
    United States
    You'd be better off buying another PS4. Either way if you want a jailbreak wait. It'll happen eventually. There are private exploits which work on the latest update. No one has released anything or a timeline... However if the exploits are patched by an update they tend to be released a few month after....

Mo Poge and Ty_ like this.
  5. Ty_
    OP

Ty_ GBAtemp Fan

May 22, 2018
    United Kingdom

Last edited by Ty_, May 28, 2018
  6. mikey420

Dec 11, 2015
    United States
    The best guess I can give is never. Or maybe tomorrow. Frankly it's all a matter of time.... As I said the exploits have a tendency of being released within a few months of Sony patching the bug.

Ty_ likes this.
  7. Ty_
    OP

Ty_ GBAtemp Fan

May 22, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Cheers for the answers guys, looks like I'm roughly looking at a few months wait. That's fine

8. mikey420

Dec 11, 2015
    United States
    I'd guess probably longer. I mean the current private exploit is still working on the latest firmware. It may or may not be patched by the next update. It really depends if the developer accidently let's an error log slip into Sony's hands. (Or they manage to find and fix the bug themselves.) Regardless I'd estimate at least half a year.

Ty_ likes this.
  9. satelman

satelman GBAtemp Regular

Feb 20, 2016
    Montserrat
    August 27th

Mo Poge likes this.
  10. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

Dec 24, 2008
    I would be surprised to see it before xmas.

Proto-Propski and Mo Poge like this.
  11. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    It won't be released until couple more firmware get released and that developers has a higher firmware exploit.

12. tonyhhhh

tonyhhhh Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 7, 2017
    Long wait now , better off buying new console.

[​IMG]

Mo Poge and Ty_ like this.
  13. Ty_
    OP

Ty_ GBAtemp Fan

May 22, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Well that sucks

14. Proto-Propski

Proto-Propski Legally Weird!

Apr 29, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Boulevard of Broken Meme's
    Look if anything expect a jailbreak in 5-10 years worse case scenario, but don't be dissapointed if that's the case, just be appreciative if it comes out any sooner because TBH it's looking like you'd find better luck in just selling what you got now, and buying while the pool of consoles on store shelves are still around 5.05 cause that won't be a common thing soon, as you know their stock is eventually going to need to be restocked with newer units likely shipped with a higher OFW to prevent hacks out the factor doors... trust me we're giving you pretty good advice here, so just trust us.

Last edited by Proto-Propski, May 28, 2018 - Reason: Spelling Correction 2
  15. peteruk

peteruk GBAtemp Addict

Jun 26, 2015
    I'd be extremely surprised if anything materialises this year, even then you could be looking nearer EOL

There are still kinks to be ironed out with the new public 5.05 exploit

kop365, Citrus-Hombre and Alex-Kidd like this.
  16. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    I understand the desire for reassurance that an exploit will come soon, but the reality is that nobody can give an 'educated guess' because nobody knows. Mathieuh is known to have an exploit but even he might not actually know if/when it will be released so nobody else here could, Any guesses you see are based on nothing,

Proto-Propski and tonyhhhh like this.
  17. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

Dec 24, 2008
    Not true.. my guess was based on coin toss.. (HEADS= Reply with xmas guess, TAILS= Eat some nachos)

Last edited by subcon959, May 28, 2018
  18. Mo Poge

Mo Poge GBAtemp Regular

Jan 5, 2016
    United States
    I think it's a no-brainer at this point that if you want to get in on the PS4 homebrew scene that you either sell your 5.50 and get a 5.05 or keep it for online access.

Otherwise, you'll be waiting for a long while in limbo. Each day you hold off on making this decision is one less day you get to enjoy the benefits of a CFW PS4.

The optimistic side of me wants to believe that a 5.50 kexploit will be out by August 27th as the new batch of fall games will be coming out (that we most likely won't be able to play until 6.x kex is released).

I'm hoping now that there is a real homebrew infrastructure in place for 5.05 and beyond that more devs will be able to figure out the PS4 security and we won't have to rely on Specter or Math to figure that crucial piece out for us.

The realist in me thinks that December 27th is a more realistic date for a 5.5x kex release.

Last edited by Mo Poge, May 28, 2018
    Ty_ likes this.
  19. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    Where are people getting these dates from? I predict it will be October 14th just... because it sounds good. A random date some time this year is just as unfounded as saying 5 or 10 years away.

At the very least, the exploit is highly unlikely to drop while it still works on the latest firmware (which is does) due to the 0-day exploit policy that most devs follow.

20. Proto-Propski

Proto-Propski Legally Weird!

Apr 29, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Boulevard of Broken Meme's
    Who knows, my date wasn't really meant to be a serious estimate rather a reason to not expect it, and be thankful for what we have now while we have it, TBH it'll more then likely take less time for him to sell his console he has now, and get a new one on 5.05 while they can still be found out in the wild, then it"ll take waiting for an exploit to come out on a latter OFW... he's better off buying a 5.05 console, and saving his time.

Last edited by Proto-Propski, May 28, 2018