ROMs inside Amiibo tap: Nintendo's Greatest Bits

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by asper, Mar 14, 2016.

1. asper
    OP

asper GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 14, 2010
    United States
    The title "Amiibo tap Nintendo's Greatest Bits" contains 32 rom from NES&SNES (game roms start with "WUP-" prefix).
    \Amiibo tap Nintendo's Greatest Bits [AAVE01]\content\SystemData\VcRomDataUs.szs (SZS/SARC archive).

NES games need to be adjusted to be played with emulators (tested with NESTopia 1.40):

1 - remove 1st 48 bytes
    2 - replace at the now-offset 0x000003 the value 00 with value 1A (1A is the correct NES header value according to this).
    3 - (optional) you can also remove last 32 bytes of the rom file; it is not needed, the game will start in the emulator even without removing them.

I also found a .fds rom [WUP-FA9E - Super Mario Brothers 2]but I was not able to understand what is wrong with it (there seems to by some "0000" in addition somewhere inside the rom).

For SNES games simply remove the 1st 48 bytes: you will get a checksum error but the game will be loaded (tested with ZSNES 1.51).

Last edited by asper, Mar 14, 2016
    gbamix, JFSAINTS and xtheman like this.
  2. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    Are the roms unmodified? I would love to play official Nintendo dumps

3. CeeDee

CeeDee hm?~

May 4, 2014
    United States
    somewhere
    Well, I don't know what you expected.

Also, this thread title seems... misleading.

4. asper
    OP

May 14, 2010
    United States
    Well, surprisingly it seems that Nintendo used roms found on the web (we are almost certain for some Sega Master System titles inside old Wii VC titles). Roms stored inside that game are not exactly the same as the ones you can find "into the wild", you need to tweak them a bit (or a lot) to make them playable into common emulators.

@Sonic_Cee_Dee: you are right about the title, I forgot to update it with the title name before posting it, i'm sorry... if some mod can come in help I will be grateful ;) It is only for curiosity purpose ;)

5. SkittleDash

SkittleDash Loading...

Oct 21, 2015
    Skyloft
    Yeah but anyone who has read the rules should know better than to expect games on this thread.

CeeDee likes this.
  6. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    Ninty pirating romz?!? Well i would have never tought of that.

Actually it isn't piracy as they own copyright to it

7. asper
    OP

May 14, 2010
    United States
  8. sup3rgh0st

sup3rgh0st Top Tier Ghost

Apr 22, 2010
    United States
    Would it be possible to use Gecko to remove the countdown timer? Then it would be a pretty nice 32-in-1 emulator with built in save states

Gyndemia, KiiWii, Xenon Hacks and 2 others like this.
  9. Exavold

Exavold lol

Nov 9, 2015
    France
    lol
    "r0mz©®™ c0l0n3l ?"

Last edited by Exavold, Mar 14, 2016
  10. JohnathanMonkey

JohnathanMonkey GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 26, 2013
    United States
    I guess retro arch could theoretically do this

11. GreyRogue

GreyRogue GBAtemp Regular

Jun 21, 2013
    United States
    Here's what I found for the famicom game on the Gamecube Animal Crossing disc:
    http://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendont.349258/page-1176#post-5314478
    I'd guess its similar for this one. Most of the differences don't matter (number of writes, date written, etc), but for some reason, the fds file format decided to remove the checksums (which can be calculated from the rest of the data). Having these present causes problems for emulators.
    The specifics of the file format are linked in that post.

12. asper
    OP

May 14, 2010
    United States
    If you can send me the file i will compare it with the one i found. My fds has couple of 00 bytes (0000) scattered around comparing it with the real dump you can find on the web.

13. GreyRogue

GreyRogue GBAtemp Regular

Jun 21, 2013
    United States
    You shouldn't need mine. The link to the fds format shows where the checksums will be. There is one after each block. The first one is at bytes 56-57 (0 indexed). If I'm reading it correctly and adding correctly, the next will be at 60-61 (end of block 2). The third is at 78-79 (end of block 3). The rest will depend on the number of files and the file sizes, but will be at the end of each block 3 and block 4. Filesizes are at bytes 13-14 of each block 3. Number of files (and therefore number of block 3 and block 4 sections) is byte 1 of block 2.