Hacking Rominator v2008

Salamantis

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
leavemealone347 said:
This is by no means an accusation of Rominator but has anyone using the OS X version ever had problems with their MicroSD corrupting? Maybe its just OS X using the FAT filesystem but after every few times I plug in my card the card will be corrupted. I have a CycloDS and am using the silver transflash reader that came with it (maybe thats the problem, maybe not). I can always format and fix a corruption error but now my MicroSD is totally dead and was only purchased back in February. Its no big deal because Kingston is taking it back.

I just want to know if I am alone that Rominator for OS X is corrupting the MicroSD or if it is just my OS. Is there anything I need to change?
That's your problem. The card readers included with any flashcart are very cheaply made, and may people have problems with them. Get a new card reader from your local electronics store
smile.gif

LordMelkor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hankchill said:
LordMelkor said:
how does the cheat feature work? I cant seem to find it in any of the menus (I have a CycloDS)

Also would it be possible to update from this database? ( http://srb.110mb.com/downloads.php )

Also,
Feature Request: Set the maximum disk space usage for Save Defender.

That is not a Rominator question, that is a question for Team Cyclops, but since I have a Cyclo myself, I can help
tongue.gif
Just load a game, if cheats exist it will ask if you want to load with cheats. Say yes, and you can pick yours.

And no I will not be updating from any other database besides Narin's -- It is maintained in a fashion where I can parse it properly and is all stored in the same server. It is called the 'GBAtemp Cheat Database' for a reason
wink.gif

I also will not be adding a maximum disk space usage for Save Defender, but I may add in a Purge option, to allow you to get rid of backups older than XX days, although the idea of Save Defender is to not have to delete your backup saves.
wink.gif

Oh I already know how to access cheats in the CycloDS, the issue was that I can't find the Cheat Updating feature in ROMINATOR v2008.8, I just listed my flash cart because I wasn't sure whether or not the option appears only if you have a microsd for a specific cart mounted.

Sorry for being unclear
rolleyes.gif

Rascal

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
LordMelkor said:
Oh
rolleyes.gif
I already know how to access cheats in the CycloDS, the issue was that I can't find the Cheat Updating feature in ROMINATOR (v2008.8, I just listed my flash cart, because I wasn't sure whether or not the option appears only if you have a microsd for a specific cart mounted) :-p

I'm going from memory here, so I may not be 100% accurate, correct me where you need to Henry. Double click your flash card in Rominator 2008. It will open a dialog box. Here you can choose your flash cart type and there should now be a button, in this dialog box, to update cheats.

Salamantis

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Rascal said:
LordMelkor said:
Oh
rolleyes.gif
I already know how to access cheats in the CycloDS, the issue was that I can't find the Cheat Updating feature in ROMINATOR (v2008.8, I just listed my flash cart, because I wasn't sure whether or not the option appears only if you have a microsd for a specific cart mounted) :-p

I'm going from memory here, so I may not be 100% accurate, correct me where you need to Henry. Double click your flash card in Rominator 2008. It will open a dialog box. Here you can choose your flash cart type and there should now be a button, in this dialog box, to update cheats.
Yep, that's it. Just be sure to select your flashcart type first.

BakuFunn

Flameproof.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Just a quick question, does the auto-updating work in the background? It just automatically gets it for you? There is no confirmation? I couldn't see the menu in rominator.

Rascal

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
BakuFunn said:
Just a quick question, does the auto-updating work in the background? It just automatically gets it for you? There is no confirmation? I couldn't see the menu in rominator.

If you are referring to auto-update of ROM info, it is automatic when you open the app and does not have a confirmation. The Latest ROM number will be depicted next to the update bar (which usually goes by very fast) at the top of the screen.

Salamantis

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
BakuFunn said:
Do you mean cheat auto-updating or Rominator updates (program or database)?

ainen

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Suggestion and problem...

Suggestion - When I hit reload to update my main game list, I'd like to see a progress indicator or something indicating that it's working.

Problem - When I try to "Identify zip" I get an error that "Archive was written in a newer format....supports up to v.2.0" yet when I check the zip files with other tools, they say they are Zip 2.0 files.

Otherwise, great tool

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
BakuFunn said:
Auto-updating cheats.

If you double click the flash card, you get the Flash Card Edit window, in the cheats section at the bottom there is a checkbox that says 'Auto-update cheat database'. It updates in the background whenever that flash card is inserted, and will update if there is a newer one available.

Bear in mind, this only applies to registered users -- Unregistered users will need to manually download it whenever there's an update.

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
I've made a quick little update to Rominator:

Changes in v2008.9
[+] Added a Country Filter for the Box Art Manager
[+/-] Salamantis has updated his Quick-Start Guide to reflect all of the new changes.
[+/-] Minimum donation has been adjusted to $2. I do this for a very valid reason; the PayPal fee. They collect 40 cents on the dollar donation, leaving me with a very small amount, so it doesn't do much impact. I believe asking for the dollar raise on the donation to register Rominator is quite justified with the work that has gone into it.

As mentioned in the changelog there, I've changed the asking minimum donation to $2, and with good reason. PayPal's fees are basically screwing me over there and have been charging me a lot, and have taken a lot of money from me that was meant for the support of Rominator. I'm not being greedy or anything, but with the amount they have been collecting from me, it's not making a huge dent. So far I've been able to pay the server fees as well as update some of the plugins, but it means a lot when you guys are there to support my work. Remember -- Rominator will keep on getting better, and the only reason why I continue the project is because of the support I have from everyone.

Thanks for understanding,
--Henry

Rascal

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The program is worth at least $10-$20 and your letting us use most of the functions for free. Feel no guilt in the $2 minimum to unlock the additional features. You've earned it and more.

Twitch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Whenever I try to update the cheats, I get a "Error Processing Cheats!" message. What does that mean (other than the fact that there was an error)? I have a CycloDS if it matters.

stephenvz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hi i updated to 2008.9 today and for some reason my rominator wasnt registered anymore so i tried to add the serial number but it freezes...

i get the message saying thank you for donating but then it freezes and crashes... any idea on what i should try and do... oh and im using windows vista and havnt had any problems with rominator until 2008.9 (missed 2008.8)

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
stephenvz said:
hi i updated to 2008.9 today and for some reason my rominator wasnt registered anymore so i tried to add the serial number but it freezes...

i get the message saying thank you for donating but then it freezes and crashes... any idea on what i should try and do... oh and im using windows vista and havnt had any problems with rominator until 2008.9 (missed 2008.8)

There's only a couple ways Rominator would un-register itself:
• You deleted the file containing the registration info
• You reinstalled your OS

As for the crashes, I don't think that would be Rominator. I've tested in Vista myself and cannot say I've had it crash while using it. Can anyone else attest to Rominator crashing in Vista when trying to register?

Salamantis

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Twitch said:
Whenever I try to update the cheats, I get a "Error Processing Cheats!" message. What does that mean (other than the fact that there was an error)? I have a CycloDS if it matters.
Are you sure you selected your Flash Card Type? It's right above the cheats options, from the drop-down menu select CycloDS Evolution.

Trolly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I should have reported this bug earlier really, it's been around for ages (at least it has been for me).
When going through my list of ROMs on my flashcart or on my computer the 2nd game down in the list can never be right-clicked (or at least, no drop-down menu appears). And after I just updated to 2008.9, the 3rd and 4th games down on my flashcart aren't right-clickable either. Weird right?
Sorry if it's been reported before as well, I haven't got the time to browse 12 pages for it :\.

And just a small request. Any chance we could have two separate lists for homebrew/miscellaneous ROMs and commercial ROMs for our flashcarts? That would make it look a lot neater, and a lot easier to manage!

Thanks if you have the time.

El Bastardo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Twitch said:

Same here. How does Rominator look for the correct location of hte cheat file?? - I mean does it search for the file depending on the flash card type or does it look up a relative path considering the chosen card type??

Clearer: I have an M3 Real, chose it BUT while creating I did not choose the root directory of the card for the ROMS and I did not choose NDS. I chose a different folder. Now when Rominator tries to locate the cheats.db does it maybe thing the Rom directory is root or NDS and tries to access SYSTEM and that doesn't work or does it really search for a file called cheats.db??

Whatever tha case I also can not autoupdate the cheats file at the moment!!

Twitch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Salamantis said:
Twitch said:
Are you sure you selected your Flash Card Type? It's right above the cheats options, from the drop-down menu select CycloDS Evolution.

Yeah, I did that. It's not much of a problem, since I can always download the cheats myself and install them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv6vlP2qSyo