Hacking Rominator v2008

TechnoCat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What was the reasoning behind choosing a DS for a game list? I'm not sure that makes any sense. The flashcard makes sense though. It would be cool if you could choose your flashcard's icon or make your own icons.

And i'm still having problems with the Zelda Phantom Hourglass game saves.

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
TechnoCat said:
What was the reasoning behind choosing a DS for a game list? I'm not sure that makes any sense. The flashcard makes sense though. It would be cool if you could choose your flashcard's icon or make your own icons.

And i'm still having problems with the Zelda Phantom Hourglass game saves.

I chose a DS for the game list, because it is a 'DS Game List'.

If you're still having problems with Zelda's saves, submit feedback with the exact details and I'll take care of you personally. I had testers confirm that games like Zelda had no issues handling saves, and they were able to backup, import, and export just fine.

IBNobody

I try to keep myself amused.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Can anyone verify that they were able to flash zipped ROMs? Rominator should automatically decompress and trim a ROM if you drag it from the main game list (that you set up initially) to your flash card list, right?

EDIT: Apparently, there's a bug in where you need to drop the ROM. I was only getting the ROM flashed if I dropped it onto the "Game List" header bar itself!

markmcrobie

Trophies
XP
I'm using Visat HP 32 bit and I've set my Rominator 2008 shortcut to run in Compatibility Mode for XP SP2 and Admin mode. Is this still necessary?

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
QUOTE said:
Can anyone verify that they were able to flash zipped ROMs? Rominator should automatically decompress and trim a ROM if you drag it from the main game list (that you set up initially) to your flash card list, right?

EDIT: Apparently, there's a bug in where you need to drop the ROM. I was only getting the ROM flashed if I dropped it onto the "Game List" header bar itself!

As we spoke by email, I will be looking into both zip identification and dropping into the game list. From what I know, this doesn't happen on every system, as I've tested in OS X, Windows XP with SP2, and Windows Vista Business 32Bit, and it worked just fine.

QUOTE said:
Hey hankchill, will rominator run properly, if it is run through a program such as "Trimmit" or "Xslimmer"? (for OS X)

Not sure, I don't usually hack up my apps to remove the universality of it. Only way to know is to do it, and if it stops working, well then may be best to just put the original back there.

'm using Vista HP 32 bit and I've set my Rominator 2008 shortcut to run in Compatibility Mode for XP SP2 and Admin mode. Is this still necessary?

From what I was able to tell from testing it in Vista, you most likely don't need to do that, as I had no issues using Rominator under Vista
smile.gif

El Bastardo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TechnoCat said:
And where did smart lists go? I liked being able to have a list automatically made for certain file sizes or for certain regions and publishers.

Yeah same here. I had a main library and a list with only the US games cause I only play the US releases anyway. How can you accomplish this.

And also the question if I can import (use) my old lists because I created lists like "games I finished" and "want to play" and I do not want to loose these information for me??

As soon as I refilled my PayPal account the donation will be on it's way
happy.gif
!!

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
El Bastardo said:
TechnoCat said:
And where did smart lists go? I liked being able to have a list automatically made for certain file sizes or for certain regions and publishers.

Yeah same here. I had a main library and a list with only the US games cause I only play the US releases anyway. How can you accomplish this.

Smart Lists have been removed in favour of Display Filters. Just drag your games in there, go to Tools -> Display Filter, and have it show only USA games. The filter can be changed at any time too. Looks like that wasn't mentioned in the Quickstart Guide
smile.gif
No worries, I'll be making the full guide soon enough!

gcleech

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi Hank,

Icons are not dipslay even after i do a "identify zip".
furthermore you extract the zip to a temp file in "C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxxx\Local Settings\Temp" which doesn't get cleared afterwards this fills up my disk with rubbish.

PieOPah

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Am I missing something? I haven't found a way to automatically import my save games back to the Flash Card. I can only seem to backup the saves
frown.gif

NoseBleed

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there an "Identify All Zips" operation, on the Windows version of Rominator 2008?

It seems that you can't just do a "Select All" and then right-click, as it will only select 1 record.

Great program none-the-less! Thank you hankchill!

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
QUOTE said:
Icons are not dipslay even after i do a "identify zip".
furthermore you extract the zip to a temp file in "C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxxx\Local Settings\Temp" which doesn't get cleared afterwards this fills up my disk with rubbish.

I fixed the icon issue today with Zips, it will be reflected in 2008.4 update. I just have a couple more things I want to do before I make an update.

After Rominator extracts the zip file and processes it, it deletes the rom, but leaves everything else in there -- Just clean up your temp files regularly, it's good for your computer anyways
biggrin.gif

QUOTE said:
Am I missing something? I haven't found a way to automatically import my save games back to the Flash Card. I can only seem to backup the saves.

Double click on the game you're flashing, and put a checkbox beside the one you'd like to flash -- It'll flash along with your game. If you want to export it from the saves list, click on the save, and press 'Export'.

It seems that you can't just do a "Select All" and then right-click, as it will only select 1 record.

Sure you can
smile.gif
First select you game, and then shift+rightclick on the last game -- It will select all games in between (as well as the currently selected ones) and bring up the contextual menu.

PieOPah

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
hankchill said:
Double click on the game you're flashing, and put a checkbox beside the one you'd like to flash -- It'll flash along with your game. If you want to export it from the saves list, click on the save, and press 'Export'.

Thanks
biggrin.gif

PieOPah

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
TechnoCat said:

Can't you just create a new list without giving it a location? I have tried this and was able to add my roms to it. This way you can have multiple lists - at least I assume that it works okay....

sepinho

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hey hankchill, nice update. What your program really, really needs though as far as I'm concerned is some sort of user feedback as to what it's doing while it's forcing you to wait. I can only assume that it's fetching box art and/or file infos while it's building the initial rom catalogue. I have approx. 250 roms and it's taking forever to do anything on my Athlon64-3700 @ 2750 MHz. I'm usually a pretty patient guy, but this is driving me nuts. I have already restarted and rebuild the catalogue a couple of times because I thought the program had crashed.

Then there's roms that rominator 2008 says it can't add to the list such as Rune Factory (prior version did) without really giving me a reason.

Don't get me wrong, I love your program and it'll probably be fine once I only add single new files to the catalogue, but this utterly non-responsive initial setup is a major pain in the arse to me. Once it's setup, I'll certainly donate and I'd be even more inclined to do so if you could make it give a little more feedback.

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
Gnintendo said:
I sent you feedback but I'd like to mention that you forgot an OS:

Windows XP SP3

Yes, it's been released, I'm using it!

Yep, I am aware -- I am use it for testing as well
smile.gif

Also I wanted to mention I found that bug where if you wanted to transfer games to the flash card you had to drag the file onto the header bar to get the rom to highlight the flash card. Also when you double click a game, it opens the save box for 2 games down -- This is because of the Toolbar! Looks like the toolbar and Windows is not as compatible as I thought, so I will need to most likely make the toolbar external if I cannot fix the problem.

QUOTEHey hankchill, nice update. What your program really, really needs though as far as I'm concerned is some sort of user feedback as to what it's doing while it's forcing you to wait. I can only assume that it's fetching box art and/or file infos while it's building the initial rom catalogue. I have approx. 250 roms and it's taking forever to do anything on my Athlon64-3700 @ 2750 MHz. I'm usually a pretty patient guy, but this is driving me nuts. I have already restarted and rebuild the catalogue a couple of times because I thought the program had crashed.

Everything is threaded so there's no reason why you should have to wait for anything. Where exactly are you waiting at? I've been able to drag 1000 games to the list and it would go through and add all of them. The initial add does take a few seconds though (but not too long) because it fetches database info, icon info, and stores a record in the database, but if it looks like it is locking up on you, then something is not right -- Is anyone else experiencing the same troubles, or is this an isolated issue?

sepinho

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
That was a quick reply, I'm seriously impressed!

I might have to add that my roms are hosted on a local debian fileserver. Still, it's connected via Gigabit LAN, Samba is running smoothly, it _shouldn't_ make a difference.

*EDIT* Oh, and I was waiting for the roms to show up on the rom listing after I'd set up the initial rom list. I'd then add only 30-50 roms at a time, which would somewhat speed up the process..

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
sepinho said:
That was a quick reply, I'm seriously impressed!

I might have to add that my roms are hosted on a local debian fileserver. Still, it's connected via Gigabit LAN, Samba is running smoothly, it _shouldn't_ make a difference.

*EDIT* Oh, and I was waiting for the roms to show up on the rom listing after I'd set up the initial rom list. I'd then add only 30-50 roms at a time, which would somewhat speed up the process..

What can I say, I like to make sure everyone's happy
wink.gif

While I do not *technically* support the usage of the games over a network, it is possible that it does contribute to the slowdowns, even with a gigabit connection. If you can handle adding in 30-50 games at a time, then great
smile.gif
As long as you're not adding 2000 games, that wouldn't be fun
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Skelletonike @ Skelletonike: Welp, already have 40h in Stellar Blade and dying to home and put some more.