Rominator v2008.1

Roman_42

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
hankchill said:
So you're saying it's shady to pay to unlock shareware applications?
It's called "crippleware". Shareware usually doesn't have locked features.

QUOTEThey're all considered 'Homebrew'.
No, they're considered shareware or crippleware and are usually marketed via commercial sites and magazines, not via scene sites like GBAtemp.

Evilkoko

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I get a error when I try to run rominator

"An exception of class NilObjectException was nothandled. The application must be shut down."

Any way to fix?

AGENT209T

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
keep a eye here on this discussion
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=87675
were waiting for the update
smile.gif

oh and Hank thanks for program the $10 i gave is not enough but i wanted to show my thanks for the hard work you put in
knowing you dont have to do this and it helps out guys like me and others

Raganook

Raganook
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Leah said:
I never liked this prog, for a renamer/ROM organiser it has always been to memory hungry and slow, I prefer stuff more like GOODTools,NSRT or even ClrMAME Pro.
I don't know if this version does, but others wouldnt even let you keep all the stuff in the folder you chose, it inserted itself into the "Documents and Settings" forlder, really annoying!
I have donated to a few people who have made great freeware software/websites, but never anything that has tried to force people to do it, by offering something extra, I think stuff isnt what the homebrew scene is about really, not just DS stuff OpenTTD for example, even though that has a DS port too
biggrin.gif
, also the donate button was one of the first things put into the program, before it was even working properly! Pretty lame and its not for hosting as there are plenty of places to host software and even a little website for free.
One thing I dont know (Can someone let me know plz!!), I remeber someone in R4 forums (Long time ago it seems!) asking Mr. HankChill if they could edit his list to add/remove something, cant remeber exactly, but he said nooooo, probably for same reason he didn't use a DAT (Thats what I was wondering, if he still isnt using a DAT), because if he did use it, Rominator would be nothing to pay for, personally, I still think its nothing worth paying/donating for, but dont let me stop you paying for him to host this /sarcasm on 'GREEEEEEEEEAT' /sarcasm off software.

If you want to criticize, do so constructively. All I got from this was "wow, what a ****". Let's have some more respect for someone who spent a great deal of time selflessly coding this software for others to use, shall we? If you had no constructive purpose behind your post, take it somewhere else where people care. Like nowhere.

Sinkhead

yay p1ngpong.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Roman_42 said:
hankchill said:
So you're saying it's shady to pay to unlock shareware applications?
It's called "crippleware". Shareware usually doesn't have locked features.

QUOTEThey're all considered 'Homebrew'.
No, they're considered shareware or crippleware and are usually marketed via commercial sites and magazines, not via scene sites like GBAtemp.
We're not marketing it. In fact, I didn't know hankchill was asking for donations until I read these comments!

*goes to update and donate*

Leah

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Oh no I dont have any reputation here, I forgot, that means my opinion isn't valid, how silly of me to think any different!
I dont see anything that is 'bashing', apart from the excuse of needing the money for hosting everything else was spot on.
I think having features that are unlocked by donating is pretty crappy as for good programs/websites people donate anyway, plenty of programs with no unlockable features get donations, like I said, I have donated to such things.
So please dont report me to the mod's Mr, gee whiz dont, I dont know what I would do other than wet myself, I'm sorry I prefer using things command line to your BLOATWARE, I didnt know freedom of speech/having an opinion wasnt allowed here, or was only allowed if you have 'reputation' here, once again I apologise, but I dont want to spend 24/7 having great conversations with loads of greeeeat people on here, I just drop in occasionally when I arent doing something more interesting. I just saw Rominator v2008.1 (Great version naming scheme by the way, really cool maaan) and thought, hey that used to suck, I wonder if it still does, and have you answered the questions I asked? No? Here they are again incase your anger clouded your vision:

1) I don't know if this version does, but others wouldnt even let you keep all the stuff in the folder you chose, it inserted itself into the "Documents and Settings" forlder, really annoying!

2) One thing I dont know (Can someone let me know plz!!), I remember someone in R4 forums (Long time ago it seems!) asking Mr. HankChill if they could edit his list to add/remove something, cant remeber exactly, but he said nooooo, probably for same reason he didn't use a DAT (Thats what I was wondering, if he still isnt using a DAT), because if he did use it, Rominator would be nothing to pay for

You should chill hankchill, even though you have lots of 'friends' here and I dont have a phat rep like you and obviously dont have your skills in Pwning n00bs so why let my small rep speak bother you. Why not just get them to lock the thread everytime you update your thing, then get people to email you with comments, if they are good you can post them and that will make your reputation/e-pen1s even bigger yay/w000000t.

Does anyone remember when Nach (NSRT) had a poll on the forums at the NSRT site, asking what renamer he should make next, I hope he does a NDS/GBA one... That'd be great, no shareware lock-outs, I bet I wouldnt be able to find a single fault, I would donate loads....

Sinkhead

yay p1ngpong.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Leah said:
[big long post by irritated and rude member]
We never said you weren't entitled to your own opinion... Did we?

Leah said:
Oh no I dont have any reputation here, I forgot, that means my opinion isn't valid (1), how silly of me to think any different!
I dont see anything that is 'bashing', apart from the excuse of needing the money for hosting everything else was spot on.
I think having features that are unlocked by donating is pretty crappy as for good programs/websites people donate anyway (2), plenty of programs with no unlockable features get donations, like I said, I have donated to such things.
So please dont report me to the mod's (3) Mr, gee whiz dont, I dont know what I would do other than wet myself (4), I'm sorry I prefer using things command line to your BLOATWARE (5), I didnt know freedom of speech/having an opinion wasnt allowed here, or was only allowed if you have 'reputation' here, once again I apologise, but I dont want to spend 24/7 having great conversations with loads of greeeeat people on here (6), I just drop in occasionally when I arent doing something more interesting. I just saw Rominator v2008.1 (Great version naming scheme by the way, really cool maaan) (7) and thought, hey that used to suck, I wonder if it still does, and have you answered the questions I asked? No? Here they are again incase your anger clouded your vision:
Wooah there! Gotta split this up
wacko.gif

1. Of course your opinion is valid! If you feel ignored all you have to do is leave a polite notice somewhere people will see it and I'm sure your comments will be taken much more seriously than when you're spouting off like this.

2. I see nothing wrong with somebody trying to make a commercial product, to make money. Why not go shout at Microsoft or Adobe? They make money from software too...

3. He never reported you as far as I know

4. We're not that scary
frown.gif

5. Then use it, nobody is forcing you to use Rominator...

6. You should, you seem like a nice person when you're calmer
smile.gif

7. A version numbering scheme is irrelevant, I prefer this one to the old ones, some people don't.

Leah said:
1) I don't know if this version does, but others wouldnt even let you keep all the stuff in the folder you chose, it inserted itself into the "Documents and Settings" forlder, really annoying!

2) One thing I dont know (Can someone let me know plz!!), I remember someone in R4 forums (Long time ago it seems!) asking Mr. HankChill if they could edit his list to add/remove something, cant remeber exactly, but he said nooooo, probably for same reason he didn't use a DAT (Thats what I was wondering, if he still isnt using a DAT), because if he did use it, Rominator would be nothing to pay for
No, it would still be something of value. A DAT is no use without something to display it. But apart from that, fair points.

QUOTE(Leah @ May 27 2008, 11:24 PM)
(1) You should chill hankchill, even though you have lots of 'friends' here and I dont have a phat rep like you and obviously dont have your skills in Pwning n00bs so why let my small rep speak bother you. Why not just get them to lock the thread everytime you update your thing, then get people to email you with comments, if they are good you can post them and that will make your reputation/e-pen1s even bigger yay/w000000t.

(2) Does anyone remember when Nach (NSRT) had a poll on the forums at the NSRT site, asking what renamer he should make next, I hope he does a NDS/GBA one... That'd be great, no shareware lock-outs, I bet I wouldnt be able to find a single fault, I would donate loads....
1. I agree that what hankchill said about reputation was stupid. Everyone has just as much of a right to speak at GBAtemp as everyone else (except the troublemakers of course, which you are not)

2. Like I said before, nobody is forcing you to use Rominator. Feel free to use NSRT but also, by all means, tell hankchill how you feel about him asking people to pay for his product, but please do it politely.

None of us are trying to attack you, I think some people were just shocked at how different your first post in this thread was to all the others and took it in the wrong way, taking offence from it rather than seeing that it was actually just criticism. Whether they read it wrongly or if you worded it incorrectly is not to be debated about here, but I would appreciate it if you could both calm down!

Thanks a lot
smile.gif

GameSoul

youtube.com/variantdevil
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Leah said:
Oh no I dont have any reputation here, I forgot, that means my opinion isn't valid, how silly of me to think any different!
I think having features that are unlocked by donating is pretty crappy as for good programs/websites people donate anyway, plenty of programs with no unlockable features get donations, like I said, I have donated to such things.
So please dont report me to the mod's Mr, gee whiz dont, I dont know what I would do other than wet myself, I'm sorry I prefer using things command line to your BLOATWARE, I didnt know freedom of speech/having an opinion wasnt allowed here, or was only allowed if you have 'reputation' here, once again I apologise, but I dont want to spend 24/7 having great conversations with loads of greeeeat people on here, I just drop in occasionally when I arent doing something more interesting. I just saw Rominator v2008.1 (Great version naming scheme by the way, really cool maaan) and thought, hey that used to suck, I wonder if it still does, and have you answered the questions I asked? No? Here they are again incase your anger clouded your vision:

You should chill hankchill, even though you have lots of 'friends' here and I dont have a phat rep like you and obviously dont have your skills in Pwning n00bs so why let my small rep speak bother you. Why not just get them to lock the thread everytime you update your thing, then get people to email you with comments, if they are good you can post them and that will make your reputation/e-pen1s even bigger yay/w000000t.

Does anyone remember when Nach (NSRT) had a poll on the forums at the NSRT site, asking what renamer he should make next, I hope he does a NDS/GBA one... That'd be great, no shareware lock-outs, I bet I wouldnt be able to find a single fault, I would donate loads....
1337! +1 on that. Also, hank great program. I would donate but I'm on money lock-down right now and I'm only 14 without a PayPal account XD. Looking forward to more updates.

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
Time for me to break this down too, this is annoying.

Deleting first nonsensible rant as I've gone over quote limit

You may not see your posts as 'bashing', but to be quite honest, you're acting like one of the rudest members I have ever met. I've spent over a year and a half developing Rominator with very little return for it -- Locking down a couple of features that are not necessary for functionality was something I had to do, because I felt I did not have enough support for Rominator -- Now I've got some things locked, I'm receiving tons of support and good feedback. Shame you can't do the same.

QUOTE said:
So please dont report me to the mod's Mr, gee whiz dont, I dont know what I would do other than wet myself, I'm sorry I prefer using things command line to your BLOATWARE, I didnt know freedom of speech/having an opinion wasnt allowed here, or was only allowed if you have 'reputation' here, once again I apologise, but I dont want to spend 24/7 having great conversations with loads of greeeeat people on here, I just drop in occasionally when I arent doing something more interesting.

I wouldn't report to the mods unless something illegal was going on. Dealing with a rude member such as yourself is nothing to report about, and really I shouldn't even be responding to your rants. Go ahead and use your command line, why do you come back here if you don't like Rominator? Frankly, I don't give a shit what you like and don't like, but quite simply, if you don't like it, don't use it.

I do believe in freedom of speech and having an opinion, but you express yours in a way that is rude and arrogant. Why else would you think I (as well as others) wouldn't want to listen to your garbage?

QUOTE said:
I just saw Rominator v2008.1 (Great version naming scheme by the way, really cool maaan) and thought, hey that used to suck, I wonder if it still does, and have you answered the questions I asked? No? Here they are again incase your anger clouded your vision:

The "stuff" is data pertaining to Rominator. You shouldn't have the choice on where it goes. Go tell Microsoft that you want all of your user data for their products to be stored on the desktop. You don't need to be in the data folder, so what do you care?

QUOTE said:

If you don't remember, why ask? I don't support them in the R4 forums, only here at GBAtemp. I posted at R4 to let them know about the software, so whatever it was someone asked for there, wouldn't matter to me. Your second question here is pretty much useless, and makes no sense.

QUOTEYou should chill hankchill, even though you have lots of 'friends' here and I dont have a phat rep like you and obviously dont have your skills in Pwning n00bs so why let my small rep speak bother you. Why not just get them to lock the thread everytime you update your thing, then get people to email you with comments, if they are good you can post them and that will make your reputation/e-pen1s even bigger yay/w000000t.

Because you're a bitch. Plain and simple. Harsh, isn't it? But I can express my opinion, right? Since you've done practically the same to me. No, it doesn't make it right, but that's not my problem.

Uh huh, sure you would.

Please do us all a favour; go away. As mentioned, if you don't like the software, that's fine. If you want to express your opinion, at least do so in a manner that isn't offensive to any members (aka myself), rude sounding, and for christ sake, learn to write in proper English. I couldn't stand all of the lame "internet talk" that you have in your bullshit mumblings, you sound like a 13 year old emo girl wanting to express her anger when nobody really cares.

Now could a mod please lock this topic so we can continue *real* discussion in the release thread:

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=87675

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: https://kotaku.com/nintendo-switch-yuzu-emulator-github-piracy-zelda-1851452740