Hacking Rominator Database Update info

windsur

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's right everyone, my internet is fixed again. You know what that means.
laugh.gif

New database is linked here. It's been updated to 4693 and includes the newer boxarts.

I did check it against uncompressed roms and it seems all good. I haven't checked it against .zip files yet as I was in a bit of a rush.

As always, if anyone finds a database error, please let me know and I'll fix it for the next update.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
When does your database become the real one?
Hankie should give you access to wherever the program looks for updates already, it's been ages since the "official" database updater did anything.

windsur

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nollog said:
When does your database become the real one?
Hankie should give you access to wherever the program looks for updates already, it's been ages since the "official" database updater did anything.

I don't know when it'll go automatic. The "automatic" relies on a very busted, very dead tool to upload all the information to the server. Last I knew (when I took over) , the tool needed a re-write. I haven't seen or heard anything since other than what's planned for Rominator 2010.
rolleyes.gif

Of course, I'm not on IM every day of my life either.
laugh.gif

windsur

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nollog said:
Why not upload via ftp until he fixes it?

I don't know if it's possible. At one point I was promised direct web access to the database so I could edit it on the server. I gave up pushing the point so I just do uploads to filetrip.net. If something eventually plays out, I'd be happy. If not, I should consider walking away gracefully at this point: Nothing I was promised has become a reality and it's been months since I "officially" was given the job of maintaining the database.

At one point, I'd tried contacting the previous maintainer about getting his copy of the automated software but I never got a reply.

Rominator 2010 (if it materializes) is supposed to have an upload tool built into it so anyone can add info to the database.

Edited to add: Hankchill's preferred method of contact is via Instant Messenger and mine is via email, so between the two of us there's not a lot of communication.

xtreme1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i put the newest rod file in the rominator data folder and it still wont recognize any of my newer games, but it still shows it as updated through 4693

jaybird

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I gotta tell you, your updates will be sorely missed if you walk away now windsur.

I know it must be frustrating having little to no communication with hankchill. Maybe catch him on IM and go over your concerns with him before giving up? Hopefully 2010 is right around the corner and it'll all be a moot point.

windsur

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jaybird said:
I gotta tell you, your updates will be sorely missed if you walk away now windsur.

I know it must be frustrating having little to no communication with hankchill. Maybe catch him on IM and go over your concerns with him before giving up? Hopefully 2010 is right around the corner and it'll all be a moot point.

Don't worry, I wouldn't walk away without a replacement in place. Really all I want is a week or two off to clear my head.
smile.gif
I think I'm still reeling from my Internet being down and trying to catch the database up those 33 games uberfast (can you say burn-out?
laugh.gif
). It's not as bad as when I took over (way back at rom 4180), but I over-stressed myself while I was cut off from the world. You all deserve the database keep running: I mean even after the gap between database admins, nobody bit my head off going "You're never going to get this right. You suck. Blahblahblah." IMHO, it's been more a two-way street: I help out by making the updates and you all are my beta-testers as it were and let me know what I might've missed. I've actually learned enough to be able to explain to another person what things mean in the database and where to go find decent information and such. Admittedly, a few of the games in the last update I had to flatout guess information because I don't read Japanese and there weren't any screenshots available at the time. I'm still no expert, though.

There will still be updates too. Looks like the scene is at 4700 right now which would be as good a point as any for the next release. I'm up to 4697 in my collection so I just need the last 3 roms before I release the next update.

I do notice that "The other guys" are still on rom 4666, so "that other rom manager" will still be there as well. It's amusing and sad at the same time.
happy.gif

windsur

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xtreme1 said:
i put the newest rod file in the rominator data folder and it still wont recognize any of my newer games, but it still shows it as updated through 4693

Have you tried using "Verify CRC32" (uncompressed roms) or "Identify" (for zip files)? The only other thought I have is that I think it's noted on the Rominator site that you might need to make a new game list (or delete the new games from the list and re-add them).

xtreme1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok yeah it allows me to auto rename them now but it gives me errors whenever i click on newer games and wont display their box art

windsur

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xtreme1 said:
ok yeah it allows me to auto rename them now but it gives me errors whenever i click on newer games and wont display their box art

When you unzipped the update, did you let it extract the box arts to their sub-directory or did you extract everything to one directory?

Sniffer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Anyone had a problem with 4673 - Poupee Girl ?

I've got hold of several different downloads and none of them CRC check.........

windsur

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sniffer said:
Anyone had a problem with 4673 - Poupee Girl ?

I've got hold of several different downloads and none of them CRC check.........

It's not that you're doing anything wrong. To quote the .nfo"
QUOTEThis game has a weird header as well as our personal dump of GTA:CTW or some
of old games. We thought it were a bad dump. but we got the same result with
all of our methods available. So, we concluded it's a valid dump.
Anyway, it's located just in the header. It's nothing to do with the game.
Enjoy this nice girly game
wink.gif

When I tried getting the information from NDSHeader, it causes the program to crash so Rominator is probably having the same problem with the rom. For crc32, I had to get the information from having the file .zipped so that Rominator didn't try to read the headers.

Yuuko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
windsur said:
Admittedly, a few of the games in the last update I had to flatout guess information because I don't read Japanese and there weren't any screenshots available at the time. I'm still no expert, though.

I can help about that.

windsur

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xtreme1 said:
its in the same folder as my other box arts that work right

Yes, all box arts go into the same folder. Not sure why you're having a problem, though. I do try to make it so that when you unzip the database file the box arts go into their proper folder automatically for simplicity's sake.

esmith13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a question...

I had to reinstall Rominator 2008.20 for Windows after a computer crash.

I got all of these custom updates done sucessfully, but is there any way to get the box art for all the releases prior to the built in updater going offline??

Basically I need box art for 001-4602... Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for the help and thank you to everyone trying to keep this great app alive!!

Eric

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqw6t28P9po