Hacking Rominator Database Update info

windsur

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just so everyone is clear, there will be an updated database put out sometime today/tonight.

The good: The database will run to at least 4615 (more if more are released later today). Plus, I've just finished sorting through and editing the Metacritic field so hopefully that will work for everyone now.

Now for the bad part: I had to go through and do some renaming (mostly housekeeping like bad punctuation and a few other things), so a bunch of roms may have a hissy-fit. This should be the only time I need to do this, so "Yay".

I'm using a better editor now so the errors are almost smack-me-in-the-face obvious. I do want to go back through at some point and get the genres more straightened out, but that's not anytime this year.
laugh.gif

xgeek

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Good work Windsur.

Just been checking my roms with the last db you posted and wanted to flag up some issues found:-

1) 2070 DS Dengeki Bunkou ADV - Baccano! (2070) (J) is not detected in the new db. The CRC32 has also changed between DBs. Official DB CRC32 = e718375a your DB = DC70F64B
2) 2438 Cahier de Vacances pour Adultes (2440) (F) is not detected in the new db. The CRC32 has also changed between DBs. Official DB CRC32 = 2b7ed9a6 your DB = 9F4B0594
3) 4226 Professor Layton und die Schatulle der Pandora (DE) - 4226. Rom not detected even though rom CRC matches the CRC in the game catalog. CRC32 = b0fe53b9
4) 4358 - Asterix These Romans Are Crazy. Rom not detected even though rom CRC matches the CRC in the game catalog. CRC32 = 61ccab09
5) 4429 - Phantasy Star 0 (US). Rom not detected even though rom CRC matches the CRC in the game catalog. CRC32 = e5c6e212
6) 4447 - 200 Klassische Buecher - Meisterwerke der Weltliteratur (DE). Rom not detected even though rom CRC matches the CRC in the game catalog. CRC32 = ebe27242
7) 4499 Cooking Mama 3 (JP). Rom not detected even though rom CRC matches the CRC in the game catalog. CRC32 = 8701bc8d
8) 4502 Battle of Giants - Dragons (US)(M3). Rom not detected even though rom CRC matches the CRC in the game catalog. CRC32 = 3c6ac332
9) Koh-Lanta (2439) (F) is now flagged as invalid. The CRC32 has also changed between DBs. Official DB CRC32 = 058c65a your DB = 05E56F2 (number has changed)

Cheers
XG

windsur

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xgeek said:
Good work Windsur.

Just been checking my roms with the last db you posted and wanted to flag up some issues found:-

1) 2070 DS Dengeki Bunkou ADV - Baccano! (2070) (J) is not detected in the new db. The CRC32 has also changed between DBs. Official DB CRC32 = e718375a your DB = DC70F64B
2) 2438 Cahier de Vacances pour Adultes (2440) (F) is not detected in the new db. The CRC32 has also changed between DBs. Official DB CRC32 = 2b7ed9a6 your DB = 9F4B0594
3) 4226 Professor Layton und die Schatulle der Pandora (DE) - 4226. Rom not detected even though rom CRC matches the CRC in the game catalog. CRC32 = b0fe53b9
4) 4358 - Asterix These Romans Are Crazy. Rom not detected even though rom CRC matches the CRC in the game catalog. CRC32 = 61ccab09
5) 4429 - Phantasy Star 0 (US). Rom not detected even though rom CRC matches the CRC in the game catalog. CRC32 = e5c6e212
6) 4447 - 200 Klassische Buecher - Meisterwerke der Weltliteratur (DE). Rom not detected even though rom CRC matches the CRC in the game catalog. CRC32 = ebe27242
7) 4499 Cooking Mama 3 (JP). Rom not detected even though rom CRC matches the CRC in the game catalog. CRC32 = 8701bc8d
8) 4502 Battle of Giants - Dragons (US)(M3). Rom not detected even though rom CRC matches the CRC in the game catalog. CRC32 = 3c6ac332
9) Koh-Lanta (2439) (F) is now flagged as invalid. The CRC32 has also changed between DBs. Official DB CRC32 = 058c65a your DB = 05E56F2 (number has changed)

Cheers
XG

2070, 2438, and 2439 were originally bad dumps that were redumped, so the crc's changed. All three of those were supposedly re-released Jan 9, 2009 according to the No-Intro db. I'm not sure offhand where the other errors are coming from, though. What I've found generally is that if you use uncompressed (non-zipped) roms, some users are reporting errors. When I test the database (generally just before release), I usually have about 14 roms that I have to highlight and click "Identify" so that Rominator will recognize them. Of course, all my files are zipped so I never know which ones have problems when they're added as unzipped.
rolleyes.gif

xgeek

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well that is strange
wacko.gif

Roms in the list # 3 to 8 below do not get identified or verified unless I zip them up. Even if I use the Rominator RZ format they still don't get detected. May have to change all my roms over to zip format just to be safe.

My normal process is to put uncompressed roms into a dump/temp folder. I then check the CRC32 and once verified I then auto-rename the roms to my preferred format and then compress as rz. Lastly I then move the roms into country sub-folders for storage. Never failed with this method in the last year or so and as far as I know this is the first bug/issue I have had with raw/rz roms. Oh well, it's all good.

Cheers for the help

windsur

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xgeek said:
Well that is strange
wacko.gif

Roms in the list # 3 to 8 below do not get identified or verified unless I zip them up. Even if I use the Rominator RZ format they still don't get detected. May have to change all my roms over to zip format just to be safe.

My normal process is to put uncompressed roms into a dump/temp folder. I then check the CRC32 and once verified I then auto-rename the roms to my preferred format and then compress as rz. Lastly I then move the roms into country sub-folders for storage. Never failed with this method in the last year or so and as far as I know this is the first bug/issue I have had with raw/rz roms. Oh well, it's all good.

Cheers for the help

One can only wonder what's going to happen when Rominator 2010 hits eventually.
laugh.gif
By then, everything should be on the server and we won't have to worry about manual updates and missing boxarts and icons so hopefully it'll be smoother updating.

windsur

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xgeek said:

Cheers
XG

I've verified and fixed the problems with 4226, 4358, 4229, 4447, 4499, and 4502. The new file will be posted a little bit later: I've done all the editing to the database and I'm putting it through the paces (making sure rename works and that it will identify all the new roms), after which I'll post the file.

Happy new years all.
toot.gif

windsur

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Newest database is online.

Changelog
=======

Updated database to rom 4620.

Fixed errors with roms 4226, 4358, 4229, 4447, 4499, and 4502 not being properly identified.

Fixed region isssues with roms - 4491, 4234, 4253, 4475, 4589, 4180, 4182, 4196, 4228 and 4230.

Updated Metacritic links for the games.

Some changes in rom names due to typos/uniformity issues.

========

Thanks to xgeek, elbaC and jaybird for finding the errors in the previous database for me.

windsur

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It has been brought to my attention that 4336 will not identify properly unzipped. I've verified the error and have a fixed file if anyone needs it, otherwise the fix will be available when I update the database next time. I've gone through all the roms I've added to the database and checked them (uncompressed) in Rominator. Other than 4336, all other files identified themselves fine, so I'm hoping this will be the last of the "stupid mistakes".

BTW, fix file (as well as next database) will include support for 4621 - Where The Wild Things Are (U)(SUXXORS).
smile.gif

Thanks again for the help, elbaC. Good catch.
bow.gif

lol_b

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Hi windsur,
Goo job ! thanks
yay.gif

I've always a trouble because boxart can't be downloaded. Is it only me who have this error, or is it for all of us ?
br,
lol

Gillinator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi Windsur

thanks ! thanks ! thanks !

I have the following issues:
4323 styleboutique -> no database info
2500 guitar hero -> boxart from brainmaniac

xgeek

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
lol_b said:
Hi windsur,
Goo job ! thanks
yay.gif

I've always a trouble because boxart can't be downloaded. Is it only me who have this error, or is it for all of us ?
br,
lol

Until the box art server is updated you will get errors when clicking on each new rom. You can either ignore the error or make dummy box art files for each new rom and wait for the server to get updated.

I did the later and knocked up the following batch file to do it. Copy and paste the below code into a txt file and call it boxart.bat and copy the file to the boxart folder. Pick any existing boxart image or make a new one (I use a custom "boxart not found" one I made) and also save that to the boxart folder and call it Blank.jpg. Run the batch file and it will make boxart images based on the Blank.jpg image for roms between #4180 and 4650.

Once the boxart server is updated you can delete the dummy ones and download the real ones.

CODE@Echo off

for /l %%x in (4180,1,4650) do copy Blank.jpg %%x.jpgÂÂ> nul

Echo.
Echo.Done
Echo.

windsur

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gillinator said:
Hi Windsur

thanks ! thanks ! thanks !

I have the following issues:
4323 styleboutique -> no database info
2500 guitar hero -> boxart from brainmaniac

Style Boutique is 4336 in the database, which is a known issue. I've already fixed it for the forth-coming next release of the database. I've also included a version of a new database (4621) with an upload I made of the IconCache file at: http://filetrip.net/f9256-Rominator-icons-4621.html. The IconCache is only good for people (like me) who have their files compressed in .zip files instead of .rz (or uncompressed) files: Rominator reads the icons directly out of the rom and stores it internally if it's uncompressed.

For Boxart, I would have to zip my boxart folder and upload it: I think hankchill is more focused on Rominator 2010 right now so there's no automated upload tool. Rominator 2010 may become an upload tool if he implements all the features he wants to put in it.

lol_b

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
xgeek said:
lol_b said:
Hi windsur,
Goo job ! thanks
yay.gif

br,
lol

Until the box art server is updated you will get errors when clicking on each new rom. You can either ignore the error or make dummy box art files for each new rom and wait for the server to get updated.

I did the later and knocked up the following batch file to do it. Copy and paste the below code into a txt file and call it boxart.bat and copy the file to the boxart folder. Pick any existing boxart image or make a new one (I use a custom "boxart not found" one I made) and also save that to the boxart folder and call it Blank.jpg. Run the batch file and it will make boxart images based on the Blank.jpg image for roms between #4180 and 4650.

Once the boxart server is updated you can delete the dummy ones and download the real ones.

CODE@Echo off

for /l %%x in (4180,1,4650) do copy Blank.jpg %%x.jpgÂÂ> nul

Echo.
Echo.Done
Echo.

thanks xgeek,
gbasp.gif

now, it works with your help !

lol

windsur

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
revsmitty said:
Thanks for the updates!
smile.gif

You're welcome.

Right now, I'm going through the database game-by-game to see which boxarts are wrong and I'll straighten them out. Future releases of the database will include the newer boxarts to accompany the database until the server issue is straightened out. There was a slight numbering change when I took over the database (original numbering was gbatemp, which doesn't include support for DSi-enhanced games), which put the boxarts out of alignment. At the time I did the renumbering, I was expecting things to transition a little smoother than they did.

For the boxarts, I'm taking a little extra time: I'd like to get them fixed right the first time.
smile.gif

windsur

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a quick update, but there's a new file here. It's now up-to-date through rom 4637. Lots of renumbering going on (basically, I thought I fixed the numbering right the first time but I was wrong): We should now be following the DS-Scene numbering.

Next up will be a boxart release to fix all the broken boxarts and get everyone current through 4637. It shouldn't be much longer now before I have it ready.
smile.gif

Starting next release of the database, new boxarts will be included. I'd hoped it for this release but the numbering was too far off on the older files.

As always, thanks for your patience.

jaybird

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ichigo570 said:
When the next database will be release
lecture.gif

The newest database is in the post above you.

Rominator 2008 is no longer automatically updating so you'll need to install that file manually.

windsur

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ichigo570 said:
When the next database will be release
lecture.gif

The release schedule right now depends on how fast stuff comes out on the scene. The current schedule I have is to have the corrected boxarts up Monday that will get everyone current through 4637. If enough games come out by then, I can have another database ready. If the scene is slow, it might not be until Thursday for the next database (4638 and beyond). Ideally, database updates should happen on Thursdays but I don't want anyone to get too far behind.
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they...