Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
customimg05.jpg

Hello fellow GBATempers,

As some of you may know (many do not, I'm afraid), our dear Mr. Hankchill, resident coder for the famous DS ROM Managing software known as Rominator, has retired from his project, due to ongoing life activities and urgent personal matters. He has left us a fairwell gift: turning Rominator from a simple program into a full-fledged database management tool for free, granting us some much needed features that were originally intended for his donators, features whose coder had contributed much of his time and money to maintain and optimize.

He has contributed much to the GBATemp community, but alas, life goes on, and sometimes, our hobbies need to take a backseat to life's priorities.

I am starting this thread in hopes of attracting the attention of our community to continue where he left off. I have absolutely no experience with programming or related experience, but I'm merely calling out the attention of our experienced GBATemp lurkers who may be able to seek the source code from Hankchill himself (through e-mail or message contact), and update it along with the rest of us.

My vision is simple : to turn this program into a more involved community-driven project, started by Hankchill, and maintained by the GBATemp community. We'll need knowledgeable individuals who may understand the code, and quality-testers, as well as everyone else's support in calling out and indicating new releases since the last update, effectively turning what was once a solo-driven project into a more community style, wiki format update system contributed by the GBATemp community itself.

With Hankchill's permission of course.

Here is an extract of his last status update :
QUOTE said:
Hello Everyone. First I'd like to that you for using Rominator. It's with deep regrets that I am no longer able to sacrifice time to update the database or complete Rominator 2009. Due to severe financial stress, we're struggling just to keep the roof over my family's head, which means no personal time for software development. Thanks to everyone for their donations, I've been putting the donations towards hosting Rominator so the website and downloads will be able to stay up.

Thanks to all for your support. I hope to eventually be able to continue the Rominator project as I had a lot of fun with it! As always, your feedback and words of kindness are always welcome.

I would also like to notify that Rominator is now free. Please use the following registration code: F00615-401F51.

Source : http://www.rominator.net/

Brenex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was a pretty active tester and donated when Hank was still running the program so I would definitely be interested in continuing to test future revisions. Will keep my eye on the thread.

Steevsee

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
hankchill said:
Rascal said:
It's a shame for us Mac users as there isn't anything else decent for Mac OS X and I don't want to have to manage my ROMS/Cards in a Windows Emulator.

Don't you worry -- I haven't given up on Rominator yet. I really want to show you what I have up my sleeve but I can't yet until I can have a stable beta ready :/

Let's just say you'll be pleasantly surprised
biggrin.gif

Looks like he might already be working on an update.

jink84

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hank Chill seems like a cool guy.

It's sad that things got rough for him. I can imagine the donation based model didn't work well during last year's economic crisis *peak*.

It's nice to hear he may be working on something new, but he shouldn't take so much work onto his own shoulders!

Hankypanky, if you're reading this, feel free to contact me with whatever help you need...

I can update a database for you or whatever you'd like...

windsur

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jink84 said:
Hank Chill seems like a cool guy.

It's sad that things got rough for him. I can imagine the donation based model didn't work well during last year's economic crisis *peak*.

It's nice to hear he may be working on something new, but he shouldn't take so much work onto his own shoulders!

Hankypanky, if you're reading this, feel free to contact me with whatever help you need...

I can update a database for you or whatever you'd like...

I did email him an updated database a couple days ago that's current up to 4535. Apparently, his database administrator quit on him and might have the only working copy of the automated program. I hand-fixed the updated version, but hankchill said he needs to do some work on his end. I'm planning on sending him a newer file (probably on Sunday). If he hires a new database admin by then, I guess I won't worry about it.
laugh.gif

Donkey Punch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I donated to this great program and I am really hoping it comes back (or at least that the database gets fixed and updated). Whomever did the last few database updates did a terrible job and left it in a mess.

No offense but Hank really needs to make backups. Part of the problem is that he had a hard drive failure and lost the source code for Rominator (if I recall correctly). Great software developer but terrible on backing up, lol.
wink2.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTF5_qgH0o