Rom translating help

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Ryukouki, Jun 29, 2009.

Jun 29, 2009

Rom translating help by Ryukouki at 5:07 AM (617 Views / 0 Likes) 2 replies

1. Ryukouki
    OP

Member Ryukouki See you later, guys.

United States
    Hiya guys! When I open my roms in CrystalTile2, my roms and their hex data come out in cavespeak and all this random gibberish! What the hell am I supposed to interpret from this data? I make table files, and I kinda dunno what to do with it. Am i supposed to use the values from the table to edit the rom? I am so lost!

Yes, i checked romhacking.net/start but im still lost. O_O this is where you guys say I did not read. Either that or i missed something.
    Can anyone elaborate? Read my profile title.

BTW i was looking at snes roms: Super Mario Kart
    or better yet can anyone recommend me an easy game to play around with? I heard some people said RPG but I want a really basic game to just jump right in. I have CrystalTile, tabular and all that cool stuff.

2. ShinRyouma

Member ShinRyouma GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Indonesia
    I remember you said about helping in a translation. If you ask this, does it mean you've never try hex editting before? Is this Super Mario Kart in Japanese?
    You already made the table, that's good. I assume you can read Japanese (I don't mean to offend you). When you open the rom with crystaltile, click "TBL" then choose "Code Page", from the list choose "Japanese (Shift-JIS)". Scroll down and search the japanese letters you want to translate (if you know the hex code for jap letter you can use ctrl+F), when you find it, change the hex code for jap letter with the hex code for alphabetical letter. Keep searching them untill you're finish. Don't forget to save.
    I believe there's an advance way, but I'm a beginner and this is how I translate. Good luck!

3. Ryukouki
    OP

Member Ryukouki See you later, guys.

United States
    quite sadly, the translation I was involved in was using the guy's homemade program to translate tidbits of japanese and copy and paste work. I seriously do not remember how to do hex work but I did do it a long time ago. Its like i suffered amnesia and lost that part of me :wtf: Anyways thank you for the kind info and advice, I remember a long time ago I used to think translation was real easy, just using the magic program to magically do all the work. Boy was I wrong. I pretty much drowned in sand.