Rom Naming?

Discussion in 'M3 Adapter' started by LUGiA, Dec 3, 2008.

Dec 3, 2008

Rom Naming? by LUGiA at 6:53 PM (1,080 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. LUGiA
    OP

Member LUGiA GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    What better for Memory card to read the files

should i name them

eg. Metal Slug 7 (U).nds or Metal_Slug_7_(U).nds

2. Stiff

Newcomer Stiff Member

United States
    I do not think it matters and can be your preference.

I name all of mine starting with the rom release number, then a dash, then the name of the game.

for example

2982 - Metal Slug 7.nds

I like this because it keeps my games in the order of release, oldest at the top, newest at the bottom.

3. LUGiA
    OP

Member LUGiA GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom

same going to start using Rom Numbers

just wondering if the Memory Card would Read the Info quicker (no slowdown) with the _ in the filename....

Going to be using Class 6 SDHC

4. I_Got_Wii'D

Member I_Got_Wii'D GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I just keep mine in ABC order. So for example they are:

Castlevania - Dawn of Sorrow
    Castlevania - Portrait of Ruin
    Chrono Trigger
    Mario Kart

(I do not have to put the .nds on the end of my games, they are still registered as NDS roms on my flashcart).

5. Densetsu

Former Staff Densetsu Pubic Ninja

United States
    What flashcart do you use?

6. I_Got_Wii'D

United States
    I use an M3DS Real.

I have never once had to name a rom to .nds (If it matters my PC automatically knows they are NDS Files).

I just click and drag and its good to go.

7. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    for the record .... ds files are already set with the extension .nds

if you cannot see it on your computer then your file extensions are hidden (usually by default!)

you don't have to add the extension unless you deliberately removed it [​IMG]

re naming ... games that are numbered have usually been through a catalogue program (offline list,RTOOLDS etc etc) that adds this number from online databases such as advanscene etc ... you can remove the number or leave it as it is [​IMG]

same with adding underscores _ some people like add them some don't its personal preference ...

Alphabetically listing games ... some people insist their games are Alphanumeric ordered ... some cards already do this ... and some people have different methods of ordering ...

FAT SORT is a program that's supposed to order files on a mem card some have luck with it some have corruptions with it !? (advise use it at your own risk)

some users manually number their files 001,002,003 etc etc or add letters before the games they play most to get them in the order they want ... again its down to personal preference [​IMG]

Personally I use SAKURA with my M3 REAL it orders them Alphanumerically along with its ability to show the last 5 or so recently used games/applications/homebrew in a quick access menu [​IMG]

8. I_Got_Wii'D

United States
    I use the Sakura firmware as well, and do the same method as you (with the last 5 used games / apps in a quick list).

I love Sakura, its so awesome.

9. Dark^'^Knigh

Member Dark^'^Knigh GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    Bit of a nonsensical thread (a bit like like: which way do you part your hair? / which side do you hang? / do you prefer blondes? / do you use butter or margarine? etc. etc.)...but I read it. Anyhow...
    If you intend to place them in scene release order, you must love scrolling up & down your list of games. Because that's all you'll be doing searching for that 'elusive' game title, as there's no way on earth you'll remember rom numbers [​IMG]

That all said, none of this is rocket science.

10. Deques

Newcomer Deques Member

Sweden
    Browsing by rom numbers might be tedious. I have the roms named with rom numbers first. But since I have a few games I find the games quite quickly