ROM files vs cartridge: what's the real difference?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by 95girlg, Oct 16, 2014.

1. 95girlg
    OP

95girlg Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 16, 2014
    Italy
    What is different in a ROM file?it doesn't play without exploits.So I assume that the dump of a game isn't the perfect copy of a cartridge's file,right?Why doesn't a ROM play without exploits/mods?

2. NCDyson

NCDyson Hello Boys...

Nov 9, 2009
    United States
    the rom may be a perfect copy of the cartridge data, but you have to have something to put the rom file on so that the system can play it. Due to the complexity of the system and it's security, as opposed to previous generations of nintendo handhelds, the exploits are needed to get the flash card to work properly. an exploit/mod would be needed to get the system to load a rom from the 3ds's SD card as well.

Edit:
    Basically, the cartridge is a physical thing which contains data, the rom is just the data itself.

3. superspence

superspence Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 29, 2014
    Canada
    Vancouver
    But what's stopping someone from putting a single rom onto a GW and having it emulate a cart. How can a 3DS tell if it's an official cart or not?

4. NCDyson

NCDyson Hello Boys...

Nov 9, 2009
    United States
    I'm pretty sure it has to do with the way the gateway card works. I'm sure there's nothing stopping anyone from creating a 1:1 cartridge clone, but it'd be kinda pointless unless you wanted to hook it up to your computer to swap out roms because there'd be no chance of multi-rom, and no chance for homebrew either.

5. Ryft

Ryft GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 21, 2013
    United States
    Illinois

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that basically what Gateway did before they had multi-rom support? You had to actually write a single rom directly to a microSD card and Gateway would emulate a cartridge of that game.

6. 95girlg
    OP

95girlg Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 16, 2014
    Italy
    so,why can't we just load a 3ds file from the 3ds's SD,without any mod?i thouught dumping broke the signature (psp games have a signature,if it is wrong they won't run)

7. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    The signature is still intact, or early Gateway versions wouldn't run them as the signature checks were still in place. But cartridge communication is encrypted along with other things that make it hard to create a flashcart that works exactly like a real cartridge.