Hardware Rock Band 3 Keyboard won't sync.

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is a stumper maybe it has to do something with ios's or something i would like to know what is going on but i don't have a keyboard so i can't help.

freefisheater

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
DJPlace said:
this is a stumper maybe it has to do something with ios's or something i would like to know what is going on but i don't have a keyboard so i can't help.

Washed_Puppy and I suspect the same thing - the problem only occurred when I installed the IOS56-64-v5662 and NUSv20 of the Shop Channel. I also had to install the v3 USA EULA in order to get the Shop Channel to work (mine's a Korean Wii, Region modded to NTSC-U). As I said, I read on another forum that IOS56 has been known to affect USB peripheral functionality. Although my games backed up to an HDD and loaded through USB Loader GX all seem to work perfectly fine. Right now I'm trying to figure out a way to roll back the changes I made to the system - I just need to figure out what version of IOS56 I had before the update, and what files I can back down to. This'll disable the Shop Channel for sure, but I want to try it just to verify that those changes were, in fact, what broke the keyboard functionality.

D

Deleted-188346

freefisheater said:
Washed_Puppy
My username is Puppy_Washer, lol! xD

freefisheater said:
As I said, I read on another forum that IOS56 has been known to affect USB peripheral functionality. Although my games backed up to an HDD and loaded through USB Loader GX all seem to work perfectly fine. Right now I'm trying to figure out a way to roll back the changes I made to the system - I just need to figure out what version of IOS56 I had before the update, and what files I can back down to. This'll disable the Shop Channel for sure, but I want to try it just to verify that those changes were, in fact, what broke the keyboard functionality.
Try THIS to restore your IOS56 back to normal. You can then go and search for older IOS56 versions too, but you'd assume that the latest version would be the most correct (given that Rock Band 3 is a fairly recent game). If you'd like to restore your shop channel in the future then THIS guide should help.

Keep in mind that my Pro Guitar functionality vanished after about 4 hours of use. I wasn't messing with any IOS's or cIOS's either...it just simply wouldn't sync properly. Mysterious, eh?

QUOTE(freefisheater @ Jan 13 2011, 04:42 AM)
Oh, you got the mustang? How is it? I saw it for sale here, but it's being priced ridiculously out of reach - the equivalent of about 250USD with the game! My only worry with it is it sounds like the fret buttons could either be too mushy or confusing to play with. Lord knows trying out the keyboard for the first time in Pro Keys on Medium mode was confusing enough! :-P
It's fantastic! It takes some getting used to, that's for sure. I've played guitar for 5 years now and I was struggling with easy songs, simply because all the buttons are the same width, depth, and height, so it's hard to remember what string you're playing.

freefisheater

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Puppy_Washer said:
My username is Puppy_Washer, lol! xD
Hahaha! So so sorry about that! I was replying via the miniscule browser on my phone and missed that. XP

Puppy_Washer said:
Try THIS to restore your IOS56 back to normal. You can then go and search for older IOS56 versions too, but you'd assume that the latest version would be the most correct (given that Rock Band 3 is a fairly recent game). If you'd like to restore your shop channel in the future then THIS guide should help.
That latter URL is actually the step-by-step guide I followed to restore my Shop Channel's functionality. I'll try your first link and see if that fixes the keyboard issue. If it DOES, then I think it's safe to assume that the updated IOS56 Krank pointed to did somehow break the USB peripheral functionality.
frown.gif

Puppy_Washer said:
Keep in mind that my Pro Guitar functionality vanished after about 4 hours of use. I wasn't messing with any IOS's or cIOS's either...it just simply wouldn't sync properly. Mysterious, eh?
Totally mysterious! And nothing changed or updated in between uses? I saw your post on your problem - at least you can still get the +/- buttons to work! I can't even get THAT to happen. :-P

QUOTE(Puppy_Washer @ Jan 13 2011, 06:31 AM)
It's fantastic! It takes some getting used to, that's for sure. I've played guitar for 5 years now and I was struggling with easy songs, simply because all the buttons are the same width, depth, and height, so it's hard to remember what string you're playing.
Everything's identical down to the last few frets? Are there at least fret marker nubs along the neck to guide you? Or do you have to keep looking down to make sure you're at the right fret? Eep.
tongue.gif

mechadylan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
freefisheater said:
mechadylan said:
Any chance that you've possibly maxed out the number of sync'able devices to your Wii? I think you can only sync 10, and then won't sync any more unless you reset your Wii. Just a thought.

I think you can sync up to 10 different Wii remotes, yeah. But the keyboard (and other Rock Band instruments) use USB wireless dongles that, I think, don't count toward that limit. And besides, I've only got 4 remotes.
tongue.gif
The USB dongle doesn't count towards the 10, but the keyboard does... I know this from experience. Lol. The RB3 keyboard USB dongle becomes just another 2 port hub (which continues to work as such) when you've max'd your sync'd devices and the keyboard stops working. The Wii board must be sync'd as well and that can count towards the max 10, even when it's someone else with access to your Wii that borrows one for the weekend and doesn't tell you about it. Grrrrr.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Did you bother to try what I suggested? 'Cause logic would imply that RB3 would work with the version of IOS56 that comes on the RB3 disc (regardless if it's the newest one or not, which it probably isn't), rather than some hacked version that has had god knows what done to it...

freefisheater

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
tueidj said:
Did you bother to try what I suggested? 'Cause logic would imply that RB3 would work with the version of IOS56 that comes on the RB3 disc (regardless if it's the newest one or not, which it probably isn't), rather than some hacked version that has had god knows what done to it...

I rolled the IOS56 I installed (to activate the shop channel) to an older version and tried to load up the one on the RB3 disc. No dice, the update didn't get the keyboards to work at all.

freefisheater

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
mechadylan said:
freefisheater said:
mechadylan said:
Any chance that you've possibly maxed out the number of sync'able devices to your Wii? I think you can only sync 10, and then won't sync any more unless you reset your Wii. Just a thought.

I think you can sync up to 10 different Wii remotes, yeah. But the keyboard (and other Rock Band instruments) use USB wireless dongles that, I think, don't count toward that limit. And besides, I've only got 4 remotes.
tongue.gif
The USB dongle doesn't count towards the 10, but the keyboard does... I know this from experience. Lol. The RB3 keyboard USB dongle becomes just another 2 port hub (which continues to work as such) when you've max'd your sync'd devices and the keyboard stops working. The Wii board must be sync'd as well and that can count towards the max 10, even when it's someone else with access to your Wii that borrows one for the weekend and doesn't tell you about it. Grrrrr.

Hm. So my 4 remotes + my Wii Fit board (which counts as 2, if I remember right) + the keyboard should still come to 7 "remotes" synced all-in-all. I'll try resetting the synced remotes and adding them all one-by-one again... and pray that works.

But by that logic, someone with 4 remotes, the wii fit balance board and the full rock band kit (drums, 2 guitars and the keyboard) would max out all the syncable "slots" for the wii? Am I understanding this right?

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
freefisheater said:
I rolled the IOS56 I installed (to activate the shop channel) to an older version and tried to load up the one on the RB3 disc. No dice, the update didn't get the keyboards to work at all.

But did it let the game run from the system menu without the error appearing? If it didn't the error must be caused by some shitty priiloader hack you've got turned on.

I don't know where this 10 device limit comes from, you can only have 4 wiimotes or instruments (combined) active at once in RB2/RB3. An exception is "All Instruments Mode" in RB3, which turns the microphone in a passive player. If you've got all 4 wiimotes active (four player tabs showing at the bottom of the screen) when trying to sync the keyboard in RB3, that's the problem.

Edit: Additionally, you can't use 2 guitars + keyboard or 1 guitar + drums + keyboard unless you use All Instruments Mode. Yeah, that's how much Harmonix fucked up this game.

freefisheater

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
tueidj said:
freefisheater said:

But did it let the game run from the system menu without the error appearing? If it didn't the error must be caused by some shitty priiloader hack you've got turned on.

I don't know where this 10 device limit comes from, you can only have 4 wiimotes or instruments (combined) active at once in RB2/RB3. An exception is "All Instruments Mode" in RB3, which turns the microphone in a passive player. If you've got all 4 wiimotes active (four player tabs showing at the bottom of the screen) when trying to sync the keyboard in RB3, that's the problem.

Edit: Additionally, you can't use 2 guitars + keyboard or 1 guitar + drums + keyboard unless you use All Instruments Mode. Yeah, that's how much Harmonix fucked up this game.

We're talking about the maximum number of remotes that can be associated with any specific Wii console at any given time. In other words, if I own 4, and I have two friends with 3 remotes each, we can all sync to my unit. But if another friend comes over with his own remote(s), he won't be able to use them with my wii unless I "de-authorize" a few of the previously synced (or associated) remotes from my unit. In which case, I'd have to reset the unit's sync memory, of sorts, and re-synchronize all the remotes I want to be able to use with it again.

Regarding RB3, though - is that limitation in place in other consoles as well? Can you also just have up to 4 instruments in All Instruments mode and not let the singer(s) track their scores? Or is this a disadvantage only found on the wii?

Okay, a quick update: I GOT IT TO WORK!!!! After exploring my installed IOS' and the like, I read up on another site that IOS223 is the one you need to get most music games working, particularly to get the USB mic to work in Guitar Hero 5 and 6. On a whim, I wondered if something may have corrupted or affected my IOS223. So I reinstalled it, reboot the device, plugged in the keyboard's USB dongle and prayed. Lo and behold... the dongle LED started flashing! It was a good sign! So I turned on the keyboard and... it SYNCED!!! the keyboard got assigned player 4, as always. So I crossed my fingers and booted up Rock Band 3. As soon as it loaded, the keyboard once again assigned itself as player 4 and EVERYTHING WORKED PERFECTLY! Woohoo! I plugged in both microphones as well and they worked fine too! Yay!

Puppy_Washer, if you haven't tried this method, I recommend it wholly. I didn't have to touch IOS56 or anything else - I just reinstalled IOS223 rev 4 and that seems to have solved my problem with the keyboard! :-)

mechadylan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
freefisheater said:
mechadylan said:
freefisheater said:
mechadylan said:

tongue.gif

Hm. So my 4 remotes + my Wii Fit board (which counts as 2, if I remember right) + the keyboard should still come to 7 "remotes" synced all-in-all. I'll try resetting the synced remotes and adding them all one-by-one again... and pray that works.

But by that logic, someone with 4 remotes, the wii fit balance board and the full rock band kit (drums, 2 guitars and the keyboard) would max out all the syncable "slots" for the wii? Am I understanding this right?
Not exactly sure about the RB instruments as I avoided them for this distinct possibility. Band Hero (the bundled instruments, not the game) is great. The drums and guitars have a place to plug in your Wiimote so you don't have to sync the actual instrument...so long as your Wiimote is sync'd. Band Hero instruments are backwards compatible with all RB games with the exception of RB1.

Glad to hear you got it working, btw.

D

Deleted-188346

I've sadly already tried 223 v4. But what IOS did you use as a base? 37/38?

freefisheater

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
mechadylan said:
freefisheater said:
mechadylan said:
freefisheater said:
mechadylan said:

tongue.gif

Not exactly sure about the RB instruments as I avoided them for this distinct possibility. Band Hero (the bundled instruments, not the game) is great. The drums and guitars have a place to plug in your Wiimote so you don't have to sync the actual instrument...so long as your Wiimote is sync'd. Band Hero instruments are backwards compatible with all RB games with the exception of RB1.

Glad to hear you got it working, btw.

That's actually the reason I got the GH6 super bundle too. Based on all reports, it had the maximum compatibility with both franchises so I went with that. And thanks, I'm really relieved I got it working, too. I've been tearing my hair out over it for two weeks now.
wacko.gif

freefisheater

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Puppy_Washer said:
I've sadly already tried 223 v4. But what IOS did you use as a base? 37/38?

Yup, IOS223v4 in base 37/38. I went with that and didn't have to touch IOS56 again. So now the keyboards AND the Shop Channel are working fine. Whew. I'm so relieved. I'd hate to have to explain why "we can't play Rock Band 3 right now" to the wife.
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, 4th what?