Risk-free?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by vmkstar99, Aug 13, 2008.

Aug 13, 2008

Risk-free? by vmkstar99 at 3:19 AM (2,398 Views / 0 Likes) 20 replies

1. vmkstar99
    OP

Newcomer vmkstar99 Member

United States
    Hey everyone,
    (before this starts, i have 3.3 firmware [unless there's a 3.4, in which case i have that])
    I was reading over the Twilight Hack and I was thinking about using it on my Wii. My sister would only let me do it if it lets us play backup games.
    So does it?

Also, I just wanna make sure that this is RISK FREE? I'm gonna be borrowing my friend's SD and Twilight for a short time.
    And there a way to make it so that I install the hack once, and I never have to see the twilight or SD card ever again to play backup games? Anything I could do in a night or two.

But I stress the risk free part because my family will KILL ME if I mess up the Wii. So I have to get EVERYTHING right. The correct files, methods, and everything.

Can anyone help me with this?

2. Rock Raiyu

Member Rock Raiyu Clock Up

United States
    No it doesn't let you play backups...yet. I hope it won't but its possible in the near future. For now it can only boot homebrew.

3. coolbho3000

Member coolbho3000 GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic

It is not any riskier than updating your Wii officially. However, I don't think anyone has reported major damage resulting in the use of homebrew. There have been semi-bricks and banner bricks, but those only occur if you aren't careful. For something as solid as the Twilight Hack and homebrew channel, these problems will probably never happen.

You cannot play disc-based backup games using just homebrew, for that you need a modchip.

To permanently enable homebrew on your Wii, simply install the homebrew channel via the Twilight Hack.

4. icefox2

Newcomer icefox2 Advanced Member

Canada
    The Twilight Hack is pretty much risk free I have never seen people brick their Wii console using it. You will need the Homebrew Channel installer if you don't want to keep on doing the TP hack over and over again. After that you can just launch everything via Homebrew channel. As for backups no it won't allow you to play backups yet. It may be possible later but for now you can play homebrew and movies off DVD's and SD cards. Hope that helped!

3.3 firmware is fine btw but you can downgrade later too.

edit: never mind I forgot you only need the HBC installer.

5. g4jek8j54

Member g4jek8j54 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Also, you can use it to install the Homebrew Channel, and then use WiiLoad to load many of the homebrew applications. You wouldn't need the Twilight Hack anymore, however, some homebrew applications will probably still require an SD card at this time, although that could change with the DVD library.

6. coolbho3000

Member coolbho3000 GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic

You don't need to install the HBC WAD. Just use the installer.

7. icefox2

Canada
    Yeah thanks I forgot about that I used both they are pretty much the same anyway.

8. vmkstar99
    OP

United States
    Alright so no backups, but are there any reasons why the twilight hack would be worth doing?
    Like, any homebrew that really deserves all the trouble?

And, while i'm at it, backups would be nice, are there any really cheap methods for going about on modchips?
    Nothing permanent or solder-ful, don't know if it's possible to be unscrew-less but anything good?

9. thinkoutsidetheb

Newcomer thinkoutsidetheb Advanced Member

Canada
    I have a family played console as well.

Updates can come in 2 forms to your Wii, through Nintendo or on a Wii game disc. Safeguard against those (tell your family members not to update Wii..that's what I did or turn off Wii Connect 24).

Risk free?? I can walk across the street and get hit by a vehicle tomorrow, however, if I look both ways maybe I'll have a better chance [​IMG] Read into "hacking" your Wii thoroughly is what I can recommend. I've developed a daily habit of checking Wii hacking related websites for solutions to problems or new/updates software, etc.

WiiBrew's Twilight Hack page is a good place to start if you do want to take the risk. It's installing software not intended on your Wii which I'm assuming Nintendo doesn't cover in case of a repair.(Check your system manual if you think otherwise).

Cheers [​IMG]

edit
    Alright so no backups, but are there any reasons why the twilight hack would be worth doing?

I did it cuz Nintendo hasn't released anything spectacular for the Wii overall in the past 2yrs. I like the idea of having a multi-featured console I can use on a daily basis. I think through homebrew I'm going to eventually get this. Or I'm gonna have to buy an Xbox360 or PS3. I'd sell the Wii 'cept other people in my family play it. [​IMG]

10. icefox2

Canada
    If you want a solderless modchip, get a Wii clip along with whatever modchip best suits your console (look around the site). And some good reason for using the Twilight Hack are:

- Be able to play DVD movies with your Wii
    - Emulators including gba, snes, nes, n64 at good speed eventually and others
    - Custom menu with the ability to play games region free
    - possibly of an ISO loader in the future maybe
    - Homebrew games
    - Free VC games by installing WADs (depends if your for or against piracy)
    - Much more overall control on the Wii you would be getting features that Nintendo originally blocked.

11. atomiccow

Newcomer atomiccow Advanced Member

United States
    If you're looking for a cheap and good clip, you can order a Free Clip from dealextreme. Make sure you order the Free Clip and not the Key Clip. You have to plug it into a programmer and program it though, which isn't all that hard. It clips on and off of the drive inside the console. You won't really notice it's there once it's there. I think it'd be about $30 total at most. Maybe $25.

Alternately, you can order a Wiikey soldered on from modchipcentral. That'll run you about $60 including shipping.

Also, there's not much risk involved in the Twilight Hack. You might as well use it, just to see what the buzz is about.

12. samsam12

Banned samsam12 Test

United States
    you cant play backups. but you can play VC and WiiWare games for free [​IMG]

13. Joey90

Member Joey90 Not around any more

United Kingdom
    The risk comes from the software that you run, rather than the hack itself.

As far as I can see, the main reason for the twilight hack is to install VC and Wiiware games for free.

All you need to do for that is the WAD manager .elf, the wads that you want, and obviously the twilight hack. Then put the .elf in the root, the wads in a WAD folder, and run the twilight hack.

As these are all official programs, they have very little risk involved, custom homebrew is more risky, but still pretty safe, though there isn't much worth having TBH.

14. Kokorazashi

Member Kokorazashi GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    There is absolutely no risk but you can't use it to play backup games, but you can install WiiWare and Virtual Console games. Just note that you should back up your Twilight file (If you have one) because it gets replaced by the Twilight Hack. You can find the WAD installers (For WiiWare and VC games) here, but, you will need to get the WiiWare/VC games somewhere else, as it breaks the forum rules, but you can find them on torrent.

15. bushing

Newcomer bushing Advanced Member

United States
    ??? If you're coming on a forum asking people to convince you of *anything*, you're Doing It Wrong.

16. littlestevie

Member littlestevie GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    sounds like an acurite paraphrase

17. vmkstar99
    OP

United States
    Sorry, but I don't see how you are right at all.
    I just wanted to CONFIRM it was risk-free, I was pretty sure it was but I wasn't sure.
    Then after I found out it wouldn't play backups (which I've never said were games that I didn't own), I still wanted to know if there was a reason for it.

18. mcj

Member mcj GBAtemp Fan

United States
    It's really not a lot of trouble. And take a little time to read through the forum, or check out Wiibrew for a list of homebrew. Then make the decision if it's worth your trouble

19. fly_us

Member fly_us GBAtemp Regular

United States
    there is not thing RISK-FREE, even when you update the original firmware from Nintendo, there is some risk that the update process could fail, and leave ur Wii in middle of nowhere, but the risk is SMALL to VERY SMALL.

Same thing here, for most of us, the risk is almost nothing. But there is still some kind of risk. Decision is yours.

20. Hazz

Newcomer Hazz Advanced Member

United States
    Wow, people are becoming nicer toward the "Is it risky?" question that always seems to appear [​IMG] My advice would be to look around for yourself and see what potential areas could put your wii at risk. I would never start messing with a $250 item unless I did a fair amount of research on my own. Just some food for thought.