Ripping from Atelier Annie

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by PikaRii, Mar 3, 2010.

Mar 3, 2010

Ripping from Atelier Annie by PikaRii at 9:42 PM (2,727 Views / 0 Likes) 19 replies

1. PikaRii
    OP

Newcomer PikaRii Newbie

United States
    So, I managed to rip the files using NDSheader. However, 99% of them are in .pak form. I don't know what to do with these files. At all.

Other file types include
    .bnr
    .nclr
    .nanr
    .ncer
    .ncgr
    .nmar

Etc...

I'm trying to get the full-body sprites, plus the chibi character sprites. Help, anyone?

2. MHaven

Newcomer MHaven Advanced Member

United States
    You will most likely find them in NCGR(tiled image), opened alongside with NCLR (pallete file), and NSCR(map file). NCGR files are usually paired alongside with these or other files like NCER which is an animation file. So you will probably have to open them in CT2 and open the the NCGR along with other files to see correctly.

Maybe the sprites are somewhere else but as far as i know they should be in there.

Hope it helps [​IMG]

3. PikaRii
    OP

Newcomer PikaRii Newbie

United States
    Uh, it does. Somewhat.

What's CT2 and where can I find it?

4. MHaven

United States
    CT2 is CrystalTile2 and you can find it in these forums, just search for it and it should appear here, if not look for it via google.

5. PikaRii
    OP

Newcomer PikaRii Newbie

United States
    Thanks so much for your help. you are now my new favorite person!

6. MHaven

United States
    Let me know if it works [​IMG]

7. PikaRii
    OP

Newcomer PikaRii Newbie

United States
    Uuu... I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew/understand.

8. MHaven

United States
    did you extract the files from the DS game or did you just look at them without taking them out?

9. PikaRii
    OP

Newcomer PikaRii Newbie

United States
    Well, first I tried looking at the files I'd extracted. However, it wouldn't read the .pak files (it however accepts .pac)

So, I just opened the .nds. I think the pallet isn't right, though, since I can make out what... Appears to be images, but they're all screwed up.

Truth be told, I've never done this sort of thing, so I'm totally lost.

10. MHaven

United States
    Okay well first CT2 reads any file no matter what you just have to make it see it by clicking to show all files when you click open.

Now since you opened the .nds file this is what you will need to do, first click on the small icon that looks like a ds. This will create a list that will show you all the files inside the nds, now you will see different extensions. The ones that you are looking for are the ones that have symbols next to them, and to be able to see them you have to right click them and tell it to do use multimedia editor, if its a multimedia file, or to retrieve map adress, remember that if you can't see correctly what you are looking for on the image but you can make it out just go to the list and look closely to the file you just opened and see if you have a pallete icon close to it, if you do click on it and press the spacebar this will load the pallete and you will see what you need to see. If this is your first time what you can do is experiment and look around the files and see what you can do and can't do as far as the program will let you.

11. PikaRii
    OP

Newcomer PikaRii Newbie

United States
    I don't see an option when I right click any file for "multimedia editor". I'm so sorry you have to spoon feed this to me.

12. MHaven

United States
    The multimedia editor is not done with all of the files only with files that have NCER and the other that have the same name as that one.

What i mean is this:

example.nclr
    example.ncgr
    example.ncer
    example.nanr

if you click any of these you should see multimedia editor and you should be able to open a window which would show you either an animation or a picture. If there was another file there lets say example2. dat if you would right click it it would not show you the option only on the ones that are like the example.

13. PikaRii
    OP

Newcomer PikaRii Newbie

United States
    [​IMG]
    (Edit: That's a .nanr file)

Unless it's the Chinese? with the (A), I don't have that option...

I did, however, manage to find the proper palette, it seems, for the majority of the images...

14. MHaven

United States

Oh you are using the chinese version, try to look for the english version in the meantime I have been inside the rom looking at the .pak and well you are in way above your head if you wan to do this by your self, I can help you extract the files if you give me a some time,I already have the chibby character out of the files and in the proper format, i just need to extract different things at the moment from the .pak files and figure out where exactly are the character normal pictures as well as the sprites.

Edit: The chinese(a) is the multimedia editor [​IMG]

15. PikaRii
    OP

Newcomer PikaRii Newbie

United States
    Ah. When I click the chinese(a), it takes me to open a file... I suppose it would be best to use the english, hm? -Looks for that-

And as for help? YES PLEASE, though I feel bad asking this sort of thing from you.

16. Barubary

Newcomer Barubary Member

United States
    I've unpacked the files from the japanese version quite some time ago;
    http://www.propl.nl/random/AtelierAnnie_unpdata.zip
    If a filename has a _ at the end of its name, it was either a second file with the same extension from the same .pak file, or I forgot to remove he results of test-unpackings at the time.

Also, if you only want to rip the poses of the animations, you could use this tool to view and extract the graphics from the NCER/RECN files (it can also view NSCR/RCSN files, but it seems the format is not entirely consistent in this game (the width & height sometimes seem to be reversed)).

17. MHaven

United States
    I had already tried to use that for the character sprites but i ended in failure, anyways let me give you everything else that i have.
    here

password is haven

18. Barubary

Newcomer Barubary Member

United States
    I've yet to find a NCER file from Aterlier Annie that is not visible in it (although I haven't tried them all. Which files should be the character files?). You might need to set the Image Mode to 'Tiled' manually though; that information is not always stored in the NCER file.

19. MHaven

United States
    I'm not saying its not visible but more like i ended in failure because the sprites are all messed up, you know they are the sprites but its hard to make them out, plus the pallets are wrong. BTW its the obj/pla01-73 those are all the ingame sprites and the first 8 are the main character sprites. It reads them but the program doesn't interpret them correctly.

20. Barubary

Newcomer Barubary Member

United States
    So I see. I'll see if I can do anything to fix it, but I can't make any promises =/.