'Return to Monkey Island' gets launch trailer

monkey island.JPG

The adventures of Guybrush Threepwood continues with the comeback of the Monkey Island series. The aptly titled Return to Monkey Island launches today and a new trailer aired for the occasion:

Return to Monkey Island is an unexpected, thrilling return of series creator Ron Gilbert that continues the story of the legendary adventure games The Secret of Monkey Island and Monkey Island 2: LeChuck’s Revenge developed in collaboration with Lucasfilm Games.

It’s been many years since Guybrush Threepwood was last locked in a battle of wits with his nemesis, the zombie pirate LeChuck. His true love, Elaine Marley, has turned her focus away from governing and Guybrush himself is adrift and unfulfilled, having never found the Secret of Monkey Island. Hip, young pirate leaders led by Captain Madison have shuffled the old guard from power, Melee Island has taken a turn for the worse, and famed businessman Stan has been imprisoned for ‘marketing-related crimes’.

Banter with old friends and new faces on familiar islands now under dangerous new leadership. Then, take to the high seas and explore the new and unknown as you work your way out of tough predicaments. Clever puzzles, bizarre situations, and devastating ripostes are all that stand between Guybrush and glory.

Return to Monkey Island is available on Steam and the Nintendo eShop.

:arrow: SOURCE

ciaomao

Well-Known Dude
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
No thanks,no German Speech,no Norman Matt,no Monkey island.
I know,it was about the "Money" but other "Fan Projects" where also able to organize the main German Actor (Speech)...and for free....Baphomets Fluch 2.5 aka Broken Sword 2.5.
right, but it has German text. Come on, the 1st and 2nd installment also had no speach at all, at least in the originally edition and it was brilliant. give it a chance my friend, we are talking about MI here, haha.

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well, I always loved the Monkey Island games (except for that 3d one which was horrible to play) but dang this art style looks even worse then that horrible 3d monkey failland ....

I probably won't buy until its on sale for less then 10€ or till someone made a mod changing the whole visuals which will probably never happen XD

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
right, but it has German text. Come on, the 1st and 2nd installment also had no speach at all, at least in the originally edition and it was brilliant. give it a chance my friend, we are talking about MI here, haha.
I forget,I also do not like the Remakes from Part 1 + 2.:)
When you play (german) Monkey Island 3,you will understand...Norman Matt is / was the perfect Voice for Guybrush.The english Voice is.....a little annoying...funny,isn´t it ?
And...I never played Part 1 + 2 (original Games) again after Part 3....:sad:

So you maybe understand me - NO Voice or german Voice too.

Roamin64

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
When you play (german) Monkey Island 3,you will understand...Norman Matt is / was the perfect Voice for Guybrush.The english Voice is.....a little annoying...funny,isn´t it ?

Well, that's too bad for you! The english voice is perfect, always has been. You are missing out on a fun game.

ciaomao

Well-Known Dude
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania

i just love both voices.
but some jokes are lost in translation

• Love
Reactions: Alexander1970

Jonna

Some sort of musician.
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Canada
I was playing it a whole bunch last night. I love it! The animation is fluid and lovely to see, the lip syncing is on spot, and all the background and atmosphere elements are pretty much, I think, translating the pixels of the first 2 games into a separate art, while retaining the art style Ron wanted to actually implementing back then. Awesome writing, good use of the UI, Dominic always does his Guybrush voice well, the other voice acting is fantastic, and the game is great for old fans, while having a great way to introduce new audiences not understanding of point-and-click games into this genre. I can't wait to get back into it!

I got goosebumps when the title came up.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I was very reluctant when I first saw the new art style, but once the music kicked in it all felt so familiar again. I'm gonna give it a chance as the first two are some of my favourite games of all time, and this is the true part 3.

Reactions: ciaomao

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People seem to love the game and reviews compliment that as well. The art style really doesn't seem to have any effect on all the positivity. I don't think it looks good seeing the type of game monkey island is, but monkey island is the type of game I'd have 0 interest in. I wouldn't buy it even if it looked good. Adventure games frustrate the hell out of me with how cryptic they can be sometimes :(

auntnadia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Good god, some of the comments on this thread! Suddenly reminds me a lot of that time the internet threw its toys out of the pram when the windwaker screens were first revealed by Nintendo … and it was bloody cel shaded! It ruined Zelda foreeeeveeeeer… except it didn’t.

I for one can’t wait to find some time to sit down and actually play it. It’s a new monkey island game by Ron Gilbert!

Reactions: Jonna

banjojohn

Trophies
XP
Country
My two cents after it for maybe an hour and a half. I don't really dig the artstyle but it has next to nothing to say, once you are playing. Atmosphere, humour, puzzles, nostalgia, audio and UI is all top notch. Can't wait to play it some more.

Reactions: auntnadia

ciaomao

Well-Known Dude
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
The ending was a little obscure and the game could be longer, but I enjoyed it a lot. I am looking forward to setting sail for Mire Island!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/vKQN3UiNNHY?si=fP6ZlFe-DhQf9SW7