Homebrew Official Retroarch WiiU (wip.)

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi @ploggy I have noticed that if you just load the ScummVM core and then try to add a game it just crashes. If add a text file in the folder where the gamefiles are saved for a game, add in the text file the games ID and then name the file .SCUMMVM instead of .txt, you can then add it to a play list and certain games will work. Most of the older Lucas Arts games work like Day of the Tentacle but some just stay at a black screen.

Just strange that Wii standalone version of ScummVM seems to load every game I try whereas the Wii U Retroarch version is very hit and miss for what works and what doesn't.
Can you go into a bit more detail on how you do that? I'm trying to add King's Quest 7 Dos version to ScummVM.
What folder does the .ScummVM file need to be in? and what does that file contain?
I have a ScummVM.ini file in the System folder?

This is what's in it...

Code:
[scummvm]
lastselectedgame=kq7
gui_browser_show_hidden=true
browser_lastpath=sd:/retroarch/downloads/KingsQuest7/kq7
mute=false
versioninfo=2.1.1

[kq7]
platform=pc
enable_hq_video=true
gameid=sci
description=King's Quest VII: The Princeless Bride (DOS/English)
language=en
path=sd:/retroarch/downloads/KingsQuest7/kq7
enable_video_upscale=true
guioptions=sndLinkSpeechToSfx sndLinkMusicToSfx noAspect gameOptionA gameOptionD lang_English

EDIT: @Duxmaster I created an issue in the ScummVM Github page if you want to add to it?
https://github.com/libretro/scummvm/issues/188

Last edited by ploggy,

Binturong-Hitam

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
IMG_20211024_143241.jpg

Guys, please excuse me. I need help with pcsx rearmed core. How do I hide those stats at the top-right corner? Been searching everywhere.

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
View attachment 281378
Guys, please excuse me. I need help with pcsx rearmed core. How do I hide those stats at the top-right corner? Been searching everywhere.

To get rid of that text in the top right on the display, navigate to Settings>On-Screen Display>On-Screen Notifications turn off On-Screen Notifications - just know it turns off ALL notifications so be sure to turn it back on after you've finished with the PS1 Core :D

Reactions: Binturong-Hitam

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
How do I use the Wii U Pro controller as player 1 and 2 ?
It's possible to swap the Controller's Mapped port once your game has started, Open the Quick Menu, goto Controls, goto Port 1/ 2 Controls then change the Mapped Port to what ever player you want. (it wont allow other controllers to navigate the UI though, but it will allow you to use your Pro Controller as Player 1 instead of the WiiU Gamepad)

Reactions: fmhugo

Binturong-Hitam

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
To get rid of that text in the top right on the display, navigate to Settings>On-Screen Display>On-Screen Notifications turn off On-Screen Notifications - just know it turns off ALL notifications so be sure to turn it back on after you've finished with the PS1 Core :D
oh so that did it! thanks @ploggy

i was somewhat reserved about that setting since Im happy with the way other notifications work. so it didnt occur to me to try and turn it off altogether.

thanks!

Reactions: ploggy

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks to irixxxx we now have a FULLSPEED 32x Core!! Dynarec support has been added, you no longer have to boot into vWii to get your 32X fix :P
The new Core will hit the build bot next week but I'll upload the build I tested here now, enjoy folks :)

Attachments

• picodrive_libretro.rar
    5.6 MB · Views: 71

Duxmaster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Can you go into a bit more detail on how you do that? I'm trying to add King's Quest 7 Dos version to ScummVM.
What folder does the .ScummVM file need to be in? and what does that file contain?
I have a ScummVM.ini file in the System folder?

This is what's in it...

Code:
[scummvm]
lastselectedgame=kq7
gui_browser_show_hidden=true
browser_lastpath=sd:/retroarch/downloads/KingsQuest7/kq7
mute=false
versioninfo=2.1.1

[kq7]
platform=pc
enable_hq_video=true
gameid=sci
description=King's Quest VII: The Princeless Bride (DOS/English)
language=en
path=sd:/retroarch/downloads/KingsQuest7/kq7
enable_video_upscale=true
guioptions=sndLinkSpeechToSfx sndLinkMusicToSfx noAspect gameOptionA gameOptionD lang_English

EDIT: @Duxmaster I created an issue in the ScummVM Github page if you want to add to it?
https://github.com/libretro/scummvm/issues/188
@ploggy I'll try to explain as best as possible:

The below is an example of what I have in the ScummVM.lpl file in the following folder: sd:\retroarch\cores\playlists

{
"version": "1.4",
"default_core_path": "",
"default_core_name": "",
"label_display_mode": 0,
"right_thumbnail_mode": 0,
"left_thumbnail_mode": 0,
"sort_mode": 0,
"items": [
{
"path": "sd:/retroarch/roms/SCUMMVM/Beneath a Steel Sky/sky.scummvm",
"label": "Beneath a Steel Sky",
"core_path": "sd:/retroarch/cores/scummvm_libretro.rpx",
"core_name": "ScummVM",
"crc32": "DETECT",
"db_name": "ScummVM.lpl"
},
{
"path": "sd:/retroarch/roms/SCUMMVM/Cruise for a Corpse/cruise.scummvm",
"label": "Cruise for a Corpse",
}
]
}

For each game, I create a .txt file in the folder of the game I want to use in ScummVM (see the "path" above). I then open the text file and add the Game Short Name found here:
https://www.scummvm.org/compatibility/

Save the file and then rename the file the same as the Game Short Name and change it from a .txt to .scummvm (eg for Beneath a Steel Sky it will be sky.scummvm). Repeat this for each game and add the details to the playlist and it should work, if the game is compatible.

I did try Kings Quest 7 and it doesnt look as though it is working with this core on Wii U.

I'll add another post with a compatibility list based on what I games I have tried.

Reactions: ploggy

Duxmaster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Here is the compatibility list for games on the ScummVM core in Retroarch based on brief testing of each game:

Beavis and Butthead in Virtual Stupidity - Black screen

Beneath a Steel Sky - Works

Broken Sword Shadow of the Templars - Works with glitchy sound

Broken Sword II The Smoking Mirror - Works with glitchy sound

Cruise for a Corpse - Works

Day of the Tentacle - Works

Discworld - Works but speech is heavily distorted

Discworld II Missing Presumed? - Glitchy sound for intro. Error when going into game

Flight of the Amazon Queen - Works

Full Throttle - Works

Kings Quest 6 - Bad read dump error

Kings Quest 7 - Bad read dump error

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis - Works

Money Island 2 - Le Chucks Revenge - Works

Police Quest Pursuit of the Death Angel - Works

Police Quest Pursuit of the Death Angel (VGA) - Bad read dump error

Police Quest II The Vengeance - Bad read dump error

Police Quest III The Kindred - Bad read dump error

Sam & Max Hit the Road - Works

Simon the Sorcerer - Works

Simon the Sorcerer II The Lion, the Wizard and the Wardrobe - Works

7th Guest - Bad dump read error

The Curse of Monkey Island - Glitchy sound for intro. Error when going into game

The Dig - Works

The Secret of Monkey Island - Works

Toonstruck - Black Screen

Hope this helps.

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@ploggy I'll try to explain as best as possible:

The below is an example of what I have in the ScummVM.lpl file in the following folder: sd:\retroarch\cores\playlists

{
"version": "1.4",
"default_core_path": "",
"default_core_name": "",
"label_display_mode": 0,
"right_thumbnail_mode": 0,
"left_thumbnail_mode": 0,
"sort_mode": 0,
"items": [
{
"path": "sd:/retroarch/roms/SCUMMVM/Beneath a Steel Sky/sky.scummvm",
"label": "Beneath a Steel Sky",
},
{
"path": "sd:/retroarch/roms/SCUMMVM/Cruise for a Corpse/cruise.scummvm",
"label": "Cruise for a Corpse",
}
]
}

For each game, I create a .txt file in the folder of the game I want to use in ScummVM (see the "path" above). I then open the text file and add the Game Short Name found here:
https://www.scummvm.org/compatibility/

Save the file and then rename the file the same as the Game Short Name and change it from a .txt to .scummvm (eg for Beneath a Steel Sky it will be sky.scummvm). Repeat this for each game and add the details to the playlist and it should work, if the game is compatible.

I did try Kings Quest 7 and it doesnt look as though it is working with this core on Wii U.

I'll add another post with a compatibility list based on what I games I have tried.
Thank You very much, I should be able to follow that :)

Would you mind uploading one of your .scummvm files though? so I can use as a template

EDIT: its ok I managed to make the .scummvm file... your right it fails to load :/ oh well

Last edited by ploggy,

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Some more tests with @gblues updated hid support....
PS3 Controller - Works Perfectly!
PS4 Controller - Wont Connect
Mayflash Magic NS Adapter - Doesn't Work - says device disconnected from #1 when plugged in (stops WiiU Gamepad from working)
Switch Controller (Official) - Doesn't Work - says device disconnected from port #1 when I plug it in. (stops WiiU Gamepad from working)
Switch Controller (Clone) - Doesn't Work - says device disconnected from port #1 when I plug it in. (stops WiiU Gamepad from working)
GCA (Unofficial) - Works Perfectly!
Lenovo USB Mouse - Wont Connect
Trust USB Mouse - Connects but gets recognised as a Generic Snes USB Controller and the Right/Left Click are not detected.
(At first when it detected the Mouse I hoped it would work in Mario Paint but, no) :P

Last edited by ploggy,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I hate these DIY furniture kits so bad