Homebrew Official Retroarch WiiU (wip.)

GABO1423

Half the man he used to be.
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
I checked it out but didn't see any new settings. Maybe it's still in-progress? I even tried manually setting the buttons on the Pro Controller with the gamepad as controller 1 but it didn't work.

Did you make a brand new build of RetroArch to test that? Or are still using a version made before that PR was merged yesterday? Depending on the answer, that could explain why you saw no new settings. (As an FYI, 1.9.5 did not release with that option added in)

ChiefReginod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you make a brand new build of RetroArch to test that? Or are still using a version made before that PR was merged yesterday? Depending on the answer, that could explain why you saw no new settings. (As an FYI, 1.9.5 did not release with that option added in)
I used the 2021-06-22 nightly build. Maybe it was built before it was merged or I just missed something in the settings. I'll definitely try again when the next build is posted.

Last edited by ChiefReginod,

GABO1423

Half the man he used to be.
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
I used the 2021-06-22 nightly build. Maybe it was built before it was merged or I just missed something in the settings. I'll definitely try again when the next build is posted.
Btw, the setting can be found only in Quick Menu > Controls. It's the Mapped Port option.

(Screenshot taken from the Xbox version of RetroArch, but the visual aid should still apply to the Wii U version)
6-22-2021_10-39-31_AM-x35hihjo.png

ChiefReginod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Btw, the setting can be found only in Quick Menu > Controls. It's the Mapped Port option.

(Screenshot taken from the Xbox version of RetroArch, but the visual aid should still apply to the Wii U version)
View attachment 267729
Wow, it works! Thanks.

Just start RA with the Pro Controller connected, load a game and then do:
Quick Menu > Controls > Port 2 Controls (assuming the Pro Controller is on port 2) > Mapped Port > 1

The only downside is it doesn't seem to change the menu controls.

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wow, it works! Thanks.

Quick Menu > Controls > Port 2 Controls (assuming the Pro Controller is on port 2) > Mapped Port > 1

It works? that's great! thats one of the main gripes with the WiiU port putto rest :)
The all users/devices controlling the UI is a separate issue that will get looked into at a different time I think. I think the plan is to completely reimplement the All users control UI option so that will take a little longer I guess?
I really need to get a WiiU Pro Controller :P

Thanks for testing it out ;)

Reactions: ChiefReginod

willianholtz

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.menteinsanabfs.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Brazil
Wow, it works! Thanks.

I didn't find this option :hateit:

willianholtz

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.menteinsanabfs.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Brazil
You probably don't have a version of RetroArch that is recent enough lol. Use the latest nightly if you want to use it.

Ahh ok, I upgraded to today's build, and even so, changing the port doesn't work.
my pro controller is on port 1 and my gamepad on port 2. Even inverting, none works...

Tested on snes9x

NinStar

Ny'hrarr ♂
Trophies
Website
ninstar.carrd.co
XP
Country
Brazil
At this point I'm a bit skeptical about the testing process on retroarch as a whole. I don't think that such basic features being broken should allow recent builds to be considered stable for some platforms (I understand that being a thing on the nightly branch, that's totally fine there). And what makes it worse for me is that some of those features weren't broken in previous stable versions.

ChiefReginod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It works? that's great! thats one of the main gripes with the WiiU port putto rest :)
The all users/devices controlling the UI is a separate issue that will get looked into at a different time I think. I think the plan is to completely reimplement the All users control UI option so that will take a little longer I guess?
I really need to get a WiiU Pro Controller :P

Thanks for testing it out ;)
That's what I thought, too, though I still don't know why that option was ever taken out. The control setup was working perfectly at one point. We could easily switch between controllers and even start RA with the gamepad asleep if we wanted. Maybe it will all make sense one day. :lol:

Reactions: ploggy

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That's what I thought, too, though I still don't know why that option was ever taken out. The control setup was working perfectly at one point. We could easily switch between controllers and even start RA with the gamepad asleep if we wanted. Maybe it will all make sense one day. :lol:
I think they should have kept it in till they were ready to make the new implementation, It's just a matter of waiting I guess :P
It'll be nice if they fixed the hid support for WiiU too while they were in there lol

jrb0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all, been having a bunch of issues with my retro arch ever since I changed SD cards and copy + pasted the files to a smaller one formatted to FAT32. In hindsight, not sure if I should've did it like that, and now my roms aren't showing up in library. I can't locate them on SD card either. Does anyone know the correct way to uninstall and reinstall? I installed through Homebrew app store originally, and there's an option to remove retro arch there, but after the progress bar hits 100% it doesn't do anything.

ChiefReginod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all, been having a bunch of issues with my retro arch ever since I changed SD cards and copy + pasted the files to a smaller one formatted to FAT32. In hindsight, not sure if I should've did it like that, and now my roms aren't showing up in library. I can't locate them on SD card either. Does anyone know the correct way to uninstall and reinstall? I installed through Homebrew app store originally, and there's an option to remove retro arch there, but after the progress bar hits 100% it doesn't do anything.
There are two different install types on the Wii U depending on whether you're starting from the RetroArch channel or from the Homebrew Launcher.

RetroArch Channel - Everything is contained in sd:\retroarch.

Homebrew Launcher: - The config and system files are located in sd:\retroarch but the cores are all in separate folders in sd:\wiiu\apps. It should be noted that the "main" retroarch.rpx file is currently broken, so just start directly from the core you want to use.

To manually install the latest stable version from retroarch.com, you only need to copy what's needed depending on the way you're launching it. The RPX files are the same in either install type, so you only need them in one location or the other. All of the other files in sd:\retroarch should be installed either way.

gblues

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can I get some details on what exactly "fix the hid support" means?

Like, I've got my GCA connected (a HID device) and it works fine.

ChiefReginod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can I get some details on what exactly "fix the hid support" means?

Like, I've got my GCA connected (a HID device) and it works fine.
The problem is we can't seem to get any controller but the gamepad to navigate the menus. With the last update we can manually set other controllers to player 1 (per core), but this only applies to in-game controls. Way back in 1.8.8 we could set all controllers to navigate the menus but that option was removed.

Another issue is that once a wireless controller goes idle, it doesn't reconnect after pressing a button to turn it back on. RA shows a message that the controller was detected but it doesn't actually enable it. This probably isn't so much an issue with wired controllers, but it's kind of a risk to use anything wireless except the gamepad since you can easily get stuck with no control.

Last edited by ChiefReginod,

gblues

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem is we can't seem to get any controller but the gamepad to navigate the menus. With the last update we can manually set other controllers to player 1 (per core), but this only applies to in-game controls. Way back in 1.8.8 we could set all controllers to navigate the menus but that option was removed.

Another issue is that once a wireless controller goes idle, it doesn't reconnect after pressing a button to turn it back on. RA shows a message that the controller was detected but it doesn't actually enable it. This probably isn't so much an issue with wired controllers, but it's kind of a risk to use anything wireless except the gamepad since you can easily get stuck with no control.

OK but neither of those have anything to do with HID controllers.

- the former is intentionally disabled pending a more general input rewrite
- the latter is a problem, but has nothing to do with HID support

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The former seems like it actually broke, does not seem to be intentional since there were builds after 1.8.8 that had the options still there, but it simply no longer worked, and my understanding is that option still continued to work on other devices besides the Wii U.

Last edited by MikaDubbz,

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

I cant get my PS3, PS4, XboxOne (all wired) or NS Adapter to work on WiiU RA
None of them are detected.

Just for laughs I tried to compress one of the RPX files to see if it would work with RA...
Good news is the file compressed from 14mb to 4mb :)
Bad news is crashes RA when I try to boot it for some reason? :P

I think if this worked it would help reduce load time some more? :D

Last edited by ploggy,

gblues

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I cant get my PS3, PS4, XboxOne (all wired) or NS Adapter to work on WiiU RA
None of them are detected.
I'm surprised about the PS3 controller, but I know the PS4 is not a HID controller, or at least not all of them are. I don't know about the XBox One controller (but I have one I can test with!).

Can you install Maschell's HID-TEST app and collect what VID/PID show up (if any) for each of these?
For anything that's not the GCA or a DS3, the issue is simply lack of driver support.

I'm not going to revert the removal of HID2VPAD because the entire reason for removing it was because it was causing crashes. But, I am investigating re-implementing it so at least the same *.ini files would be compatible.

It will be awhile, though. The kids keep me busy :)

Just for laughs I tried to compress one of the RPX files to see if it would work with RA...
Good news is the file compressed from 14mb to 4mb :)
Bad news is crashes RA when I try to boot it for some reason? :P

I think if this worked it would help reduce load time some more? :D

It might, actually, but not by a lot. most of the boot-up time comes from loading assets off the SD card.

Reactions: ploggy

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm surprised about the PS3 controller, but I know the PS4 is not a HID controller, or at least not all of them are. I don't know about the XBox One controller (but I have one I can test with!).

Can you install Maschell's HID-TEST app and collect what VID/PID show up (if any) for each of these?
For anything that's not the GCA or a DS3, the issue is simply lack of driver support.

I'm not going to revert the removal of HID2VPAD because the entire reason for removing it was because it was causing crashes. But, I am investigating re-implementing it so at least the same *.ini files would be compatible.

It might, actually, but not by a lot. most of the boot-up time comes from loading assets off the SD card.

Ok so, PS3,PS4 and XboxOne wont show anything in Hid test but the NS Adapter did display info :)

20210709_184238.jpg

Ironically if you could get the NS Adapter working with the WiiU RA then the PS3/4 and Xbox Controller could work through that :P

Last edited by ploggy,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We just question @AncientBoi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.