Homebrew Official Retroarch WiiU (wip.)

cugel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That did not work for me either. Though, it gave a Retroarch loading screen and crashed promptly after showing that.

Think I'm out of ideas. Are you deleting everything in the main retroarch folder (the one it creates with several directories)? If you don't I could see it leaving behind some .cfg file that's breaking things.

agibby5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Think I'm out of ideas. Are you deleting everything in the main retroarch folder (the one it creates with several directories)? If you don't I could see it leaving behind some .cfg file that's breaking things.

Yes. I am fearful it's something wrong with the system since it seems like everyone else but me can run retroarch.

So my question doesn't get buried, is there a log file I can look at to see why retroarch crashes after showing a black screen when loading?

EDIT: Additional info:
I was able to get NEStopia to boot HBL from the nestopia rpx file placed in wiiu\apps\nestopia_libretro\. The retroarch.rpx file does not work at all. Is this expected?

It also crashes back to HBL if I try to change cores when I loaded up nestopia directly. I have to drop out to HBL and load the other cores through their respective RPX file. Feels strange. Also, I cant load any of my rom folders when I scan their folder and associate them to their respective core. It will crash. I'm thinking it's the same problem with switching cores with the "Load Core" button. I have to drop out and load the RPX for the core I want and then select the ROM. Very strange.

I did place the media folder with the contents, but the menu in retroarch is all smushed. The icons are over-top of the first part of each menu item.

EDIT: Additional info (second time):
I found a way to turn on the logs using the .cfg file. accessed them at retroarch/cores/logs and found out it was failing to load the cores I had downloaded...

I narrowed down the issue. I had one old .elf file in sd:/retroarch/cores. Once I removed that and replaced them with rpx cores from the latest 4/4 build, everything seems to be working. Wow. Sorry for the alarm.

Last edited by agibby5,

jar-_-

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't know why it doesn't work on your install. It should.

Just to provide more info on my setup where it works:

- CBHC Wii U
- Fresh install of RetroArch 1.8.5 (RPX version)
- Launching RetroArch from the forwarder.
- I haven't updated any of the cores (no nightlies since they can be buggy)
- Complete BIOS set for all cores
- I haven't changed any of the default gamepad bindings
Can you tell me where the bios goes? TIA.

[EDIT] retroarch/cores/system

Last edited by jar-_-,

cugel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes. I am fearful it's something wrong with the system since it seems like everyone else but me can run retroarch.

So my question doesn't get buried, is there a log file I can look at to see why retroarch crashes after showing a black screen when loading?

EDIT: Additional info:
I was able to get NEStopia to boot HBL from the nestopia rpx file placed in wiiu\apps\nestopia_libretro\. The retroarch.rpx file does not work at all. Is this expected?

It also crashes back to HBL if I try to change cores when I loaded up nestopia directly. I have to drop out to HBL and load the other cores through their respective RPX file. Feels strange. Also, I cant load any of my rom folders when I scan their folder and associate them to their respective core. It will crash. I'm thinking it's the same problem with switching cores with the "Load Core" button. I have to drop out and load the RPX for the core I want and then select the ROM. Very strange.

I did place the media folder with the contents, but the menu in retroarch is all smushed. The icons are over-top of the first part of each menu item.

EDIT: Additional info (second time):
I found a way to turn on the logs using the .cfg file. accessed them at retroarch/cores/logs and found out it was failing to load the cores I had downloaded...

I narrowed down the issue. I had one old .elf file in sd:/retroarch/cores. Once I removed that and replaced them with rpx cores from the latest 4/4 build, everything seems to be working. Wow. Sorry for the alarm.

No prob I thought the problem was a leftover file somewhere.

Retroarch changed their default menu to Ozone sometime in the last month or two and I think it's still busted looking on Wii U. You can go into Settings -> Drivers -> Menu and change it to rgui or xmb. Then go to Main -> Restart Retroarch. Also, changes to Retroarch settings won't save unless you exit using the Retroarch menu or tell it to save manually.

Also go to Settings -> Directory to see where it wants you to put the media files. Or change it to where you want them to be.

Last edited by cugel,

agibby5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No prob I thought the problem was a leftover file somewhere.

Retroarch changed their default menu to Ozone sometime in the last month or two and I think it's still busted looking on Wii U. You can go into Settings -> Drivers -> Menu and change it to rgui or xmb. Then go to Main -> Restart Retroarch. Also, changes to Retroarch settings won't save unless you exit using the Retroarch menu or tell it to save manually.

Also go to Settings -> Directory to see where it wants you to put the media files. Or change it to where you want them to be.

Thank you for your help and bouncing ideas around.

Reactions: cugel

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if this has been asked already. But is it possible to install on the usb? I only asked cause when I went to the wii u homebrew app store, it has an ungodly file size for a emulator. :blink:

If it's going to be large like that, then would be nice to just have it on a HDD. Though I was only sure the wii u can only use homebrew on SD card. I just use a 4GB SD card since it was the one that windows would format to Fat32 like people always say to use. Just wonder if i can have the chunky emulator on usb and the games to load from on a SD card. I'm not really good with retroarch to be honest. :ninja:

cugel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if this has been asked already. But is it possible to install on the usb? I only asked cause when I went to the wii u homebrew app store, it has an ungodly file size for a emulator. :blink:

If it's going to be large like that, then would be nice to just have it on a HDD. Though I was only sure the wii u can only use homebrew on SD card. I just use a 4GB SD card since it was the one that windows would format to Fat32 like people always say to use. Just wonder if i can have the chunky emulator on usb and the games to load from on a SD card. I'm not really good with retroarch to be honest. :ninja:

I just tried to browse to my usb with retroarch and it says "directory not found" so I'm not sure if retroarch can read off the Wii U formated usb or not.

However, I think you are mistaken about the sd card thing - Windows can format up to 32 gigs FAT32 and you can use a tool called guiformat to format larger sizes FAT32. Right now I'm using a 64 gig SD card.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
However, I think you are mistaken about the sd card thing - Windows can format up to 32 gigs FAT32 and you can use a tool called guiformat to format larger sizes FAT32. Right now I'm using a 64 gig SD card.
I see, so I need the guiformat software. I was using the basic windows format utility. Will have to look into that. :ninja:

Still kinda feel the file size is a bit too big for a emulator. I had many emulators during the 2010 wii days and none of them was close to 200MB in file size combined just to run each console. Probably why I still use the sd card I had when I was using the wii to play the games in wii homebrew mode. I just wanted to try retroarch on wii u since everyone been talking about it like a great breakthrough of technology. And maybe it gets boring having to load genesis plus gx through the wii mode. :ninja:

cugel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see, so I need the guiformat software. I was using the basic windows format utility. Will have to look into that. :ninja:

Still kinda feel the file size is a bit too big for a emulator. I had many emulators during the 2010 wii days and none of them was close to 200MB in file size combined just to run each console. Probably why I still use the sd card I had when I was using the wii to play the games in wii homebrew mode. I just wanted to try retroarch on wii u since everyone been talking about it like a great breakthrough of technology. And maybe it gets boring having to load genesis plus gx through the wii mode. :ninja:

You don't really need the guiformat software unless it's of 32 gig - I think you just missed something last time you tried. Windows can do up to 32 gigs on it's own.

Retroarch is that big because of the art assets files, which is a all the different art and icons for the different menu styles and platforms Retroarch supports. The actual emulation part is pretty small.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

@QuarkTheAwesome

It might be good to update the OP wrt to assets and the XMB, although it's been a while since I did a fresh install so I'm not positive about these: 1) I think when I used the Online Updater it downloaded assets.zip and then didn't unzip it anywhere and also 2) I think the assets directory was set somewhere weird or not at all so people should make sure to check that.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, it would be nice to just install retroarch to wii u HDD (Since it's literally can't be used for anything other than the wii u unlike the SD card) Guess I'll find a bigger SD card on sale. Just wanted to try it before I go full "Hail Mary" and commit to it completely. Honestly, it would be nice to not go to wii mode to run emulators everytime I want to use it, but it's very easy to do and understand compared to retroarch. Though it seems more development of the same emulators I use and even exclusive ones are for retroarch which I guess still wins by facts being technically superior option. Still prefer the personality... or should I say Originality of each emulator that the wii ones had. Their unique gui and easy to manage setup. :ninja:

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does the Retroarch background music not work in the Wii U build of it? I have the bgm.ogg in the /retroarch/assets/sounds folder of my SD card. I turned on the mixer and enable BGM sounds under menu sounds under Audio of the Settings section of Retroarch, yet no music plays. Is it just not possible on Wii U, or have I missed something?

krueger96

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The Retroarch menu is kinda weird but you get used to it. FYI you can get a 32 gig SD card for like ten bucks.
you can find better deals on larger sd cards, i managed to find a 128gb sandisk ultra for 23€, it sounds overkill for the wii u, but it's handy for storing retroarch, nintendont and wiiflow games

depaul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well, it would be nice to just install retroarch to wii u HDD (Since it's literally can't be used for anything other than the wii u unlike the SD card) Guess I'll find a bigger SD card on sale. Just wanted to try it before I go full "Hail Mary" and commit to it completely. Honestly, it would be nice to not go to wii mode to run emulators everytime I want to use it, but it's very easy to do and understand compared to retroarch. Though it seems more development of the same emulators I use and even exclusive ones are for retroarch which I guess still wins by facts being technically superior option. Still prefer the personality... or should I say Originality of each emulator that the wii ones had. Their unique gui and easy to manage setup. :ninja:
As @CORE pointed out earlier it's possible to use a fork of Mocha FAT32 which supports FAT32 HDD. The FAT32 HDD will act virtually as your SD card interface. So the advantage is that you can put homebrew and loadiine games format into FAT32 HDD (or SSD) instead of SD card. There is also an improvement in speed compared to SD card.

However, you can't use the Wii U formatted HDD for this as you would need another HDD formatted as FAT32. Also AFAIK you can only hook one HDD to your Wii U at time.

I still hope RA team might find a method to install the whole program + roms into Wii U formatted HDD.

Reactions: CORE and Maxbeta

cugel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does the Retroarch background music not work in the Wii U build of it? I have the bgm.ogg in the /retroarch/assets/sounds folder of my SD card. I turned on the mixer and enable BGM sounds under menu sounds under Audio of the Settings section of Retroarch, yet no music plays. Is it just not possible on Wii U, or have I missed something?

I’ve never used music in retroarch but you probably wanna go to Settings -> Directory to see if there’s a directory for music specifically and if it’s set correctly if you haven’t already.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’ve never used music in retroarch but you probably wanna go to Settings -> Directory to see if there’s a directory for music specifically and if it’s set correctly if you haven’t already.
checked, there is no option for where menu music is located in the directory settings. However, I looked it up and the files are in the correct default location, in fact the sound files come with retroarch and are just disabled by default. Enabling them should make them play, but on my Wii U, it's just not happening. Shame, cuz I like the atmospheric resonance the emulator menu music can have like VBA GX, FCEU GX, and SNES9X GX.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I managed to find a 32GB SD card and it's formatted to FAT32. So when I tried to run retroarch (I got it from the homebrew appstore) it won't load. I formatted my sd card before trying to be sure it was FAT32. All that happens is the black screen, then returns to homebrew browser. :blink:

Also, that download took way too long almost an hour to download and install. Does it really need to be almost 1GB big? :blink:

robco7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovakia
I managed to find a 32GB SD card and it's formatted to FAT32. So when I tried to run retroarch (I got it from the homebrew appstore) it won't load. I formatted my sd card before trying to be sure it was FAT32. All that happens is the black screen, then returns to homebrew browser. :blink:

Also, that download took way too long almost an hour to download and install. Does it really need to be almost 1GB big? :blink:
Yeah it's big.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: