Homebrew Retroarch Emulation Thread (Nightly Builds Included)

Turnip_Head

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'm no tech expert, just a random guy wanting to play old games on new hardware. I was wondering, though, if there was some way to let Retroarch skip frames.
On CATSFC (New 3DS, Ironhax, .3dsx), Final Fantasy 6 runs at constant 59 fps most of the time, except in some areas, where it drops to 41-42 fps. I noticed, though, that when the framerate drops the game slows down.
Now correct me if I'm wrong, but It seems to me that most games run at 30 fps on consoles. So how is it possible that the game slows down at 40?
I wanted to try and change the "Refresh Rate" value in Settings--->Video from 59.834 Hz to 30.000 Hz, but getting to 58 takes forever. :wtf:

KalasGiacomo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
So i tried a few more games on pcsx, resident evil 3 for the most part is around 50-59 besides cutscenes, final fantasy vii runs around 57 with random hiccups dropping to 52 and cutscenes are around 45-48, silent hill is basically unplayable with around 32-36 frames its really slow besides the menu screens
Can you tell me wich retroarch version you use?, im allways updating it but never ran RE3 that fast.

Last edited by KalasGiacomo,

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
You do need a New 3DS running SysNAND 9.2 or below to get those speeds. It uses dynamic recompilation, which requires kernel access.

Stack3r

Shizuo Heiwajima
OP
Trophies
XP
I'm no tech expert, just a random guy wanting to play old games on new hardware. I was wondering, though, if there was some way to let Retroarch skip frames.
On CATSFC (New 3DS, Ironhax, .3dsx), Final Fantasy 6 runs at constant 59 fps most of the time, except in some areas, where it drops to 41-42 fps. I noticed, though, that when the framerate drops the game slows down.
Now correct me if I'm wrong, but It seems to me that most games run at 30 fps on consoles. So how is it possible that the game slows down at 40?
I wanted to try and change the "Refresh Rate" value in Settings--->Video from 59.834 Hz to 30.000 Hz, but getting to 58 takes forever. :wtf:
I want to try this out also, someone said a couple pages back there is a file you edit and you can set it to whatever you want

Reactions: Turnip_Head

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Can someone tell me what's the best nightly to use for gpsp in a N3DS?
I am looking for one that doesn't crash as often and doesn't have that tearing issue, along with good compatibility of course. :P

spamman5r

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I try to run Super Mario All-Stars (original or + Mario World) on CatSFC, the controls die when I try to start Super Mario Bros 3. Any way to make this work? It looks like it runs on blargSNES, but it's nice to manage all my saves and things in one location so I figured I'd try to ask.

Columbo2811

Trophies
XP
Country
When I try to run Super Mario All-Stars (original or + Mario World) on CatSFC, the controls die when I try to start Super Mario Bros 3. Any way to make this work? It looks like it runs on blargSNES, but it's nice to manage all my saves and things in one location so I figured I'd try to ask.
You have to switch to player 2 controls in settings for this game

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
You need to enter Core Configurations I think and select Swap Controllers or something similar.
I don't recall exactly what the configuration is called but you need to swap the controls for some reason.

SG6000

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Two gaming holy grails of mine now run (mostly) excellently on MAME (2000) on N3DS. The progress is astounding, I have to tip my hat to the devs.

Thank you for allowing me to properly (i.e not via a USB pad on a laptop) play Dead Connection and Rolling Thunder 2 for the first time.

These games both ran at 25ish fps since the MAME cores became a thing, but now on recent nightlies DC is rock solid 59fps and RT2 runs curiously at 40-45fps but seems to lock into 59fps sometimes once the game 'reloads' after losing a life - but I'm not complaining. It's just incredible to be able to enjoy these.

Thank you

Reactions: indionicarao

spamman5r

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have to switch to player 2 controls in settings for this game

You need to enter Core Configurations I think and select Swap Controllers or something similar.
I don't recall exactly what the configuration is called but you need to swap the controls for some reason.

Thanks for the quick turnaround. I assume I'll need to change this setting every time I launch the game?

Two gaming holy grails of mine now run (mostly) excellently on MAME (2000) on N3DS. The progress is astounding, I have to tip my hat to the devs.

Embarrassingly enough, my holy grail was always the Virtual Boy. I wanted one so badly when I was a kid, but when I had the means every time I bought one on ebay it ended up failing shortly after getting it. I always thought the 3DS would be a great way to faithfully experience the red weirdness in actual 3D, so I've been eagerly watching r3Ddragon and mednafen vb since I got into this mess.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Embarrassingly enough, my holy grail was always the Virtual Boy. I wanted one so badly when I was a kid, but when I had the means every time I bought one on ebay it ended up failing shortly after getting it. I always thought the 3DS would be a great way to faithfully experience the red weirdness in actual 3D, so I've been eagerly watching r3Ddragon and mednafen vb since I got into this mess.
I have also been watching R3dDragon and Mednafen VB with every nightly and version released.
I dream that someday the N3DS will be capable of running the entire VB library (which is only somewhere about 20~ games, shouldn't be hard to reach 1--% compatibility) in full glorious 3D.

Only time will tell u_u

Tempest228

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone have any recommended settings for gpsp on n3ds kernel?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Second stupid question. Can I just install the nightly CIAs over already installed ones?

shinji257

Trophies
Website
www.elite-systems.org
XP
Country
United States
I'm using the GPSP GBA emulator and trying to play Mother 3 but I'm noticing flickering on the top of the screen. It is an ingame flicker of textures. Anything that can be done to clean that up?

EDIT: I checked with mGBA and while it had a lower framerate I did find that it doesn't show the odd render flickering at the top of the screen. So...

Additional edits: The 1/27 nightly seems to crash when you try to close the software... Unknown why that happens. It only seems to happen on the cia version although I have not tried the 3dsx version (emunand). I did try the 3ds ones with my gateway card and they close ok but I'd rather use the cia ones since I have my setup with multiple emunand entry points.

Last edited by shinji257,

Cloud9Skywalker

Pokémon Researcher
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any chance we could see a stand-by mode (lid closed) feature for the emulators?
I think at the moment it just freezes and sounds all dubstep if I try to close the lid.

soetem

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FF7 ran at a decent speed on the psx emulator as a Cia right? I recently set my n3ds up with cfw and am wondering what I do to benefit from it. Just install psx rearmed as a cia? Or is there more to it?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Fuck off spam bot. +1