Retail games

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Ikki, Oct 3, 2011.

Oct 3, 2011

Retail games by Ikki at 5:30 PM (499 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. Ikki
    OP

Member Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Uruguay
    Hai.

I haven't bought a game in forever(never did, the only times I'd have a game would be when my mother bought them for me) but now I'll be buying Battlefield 3 and from next year on if I can make some money out of doing stuff with computers I'll be buying every game I play.

So the question is, how does the activation thingy work? Can games be borrowed?

I'm kinda tired so I don't know if the post made any sense.

2. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

United States
    Most computer games just have you put in a CD key when you install it. As long as two instances of the same key aren't trying to go online at the same time, it is usually fine. Unless the game has some DRM like Steam of GFWL (Games For Windows Live), in which case it becomes hairier. Steam games can only be tied to and played on the account that purchased them (or unless it is a Steamworks copy of a pc game, then registered to it). GFWL games make you type in the CD key when you're logged into your GFWL/XBL account on the computer. If you're not logged in to the computer you're trying to play on with the account you had to put the key into, I don't think it works.

3. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Many companies do anything they can to prevent borrowing, if that tells you anything.

4. exangel

Member exangel executioner angel

United States
    On the bright side of things, with Steam, I can play all of the games I've purchased or registered on Steam on all of my personal computers.
    Steam won't let me login on all of them simultaneously, though, which boils down to the problem of sharing.

On the other hand, with Origin (formerly the EA ...something), I was able to install my legit copy of The Sims 3 to all my computers and I have played it on more than one computer simultaneously. I don't know if that's intended to be possible anymore, or if it's possible when you play TS3 with downloadable content & keep it updated.

Therefore, I only buy through Steam when there's considerable savings. I have bought through Origin too during a major discount/promo.

(in reality, otherwise I just pirate. unless subscriptions are required.)

5. amptor

Banned amptor Banned

United States
    Can BF3 be borrowed? This is very doubtful. I am assuming that they will bind you to a user account and you have to use that to log in in order to play the game. Essentially to let someone borrow your game, you would have to give him the l/p to your EA account (which is I forgot what they call their service now View or something stupid) I doubt this game is going to be for Steam since EA has their own thing they want to use.

I have BF2 and never even thought of borrowing it from a friend so I haven't tried any of this. I would just assume by myself a copy of any game that is online so I would be able to play it. I never thought about borrowing because it would probably be too difficult and not worth the effort.

6. exangel

Member exangel executioner angel

United States
    The EA launcher/community service is Origin.

Though I installed my The Sims 3 game via this service as I'd bought it through Direct2Drive as a preorder & never had a physical copy, I do not have to use Origin for anything except for game updates. (Though I did have to do quite a bit of digging to find my original retail key and apply it to my Origin account.)
    Of course, I know you're not asking about The Sims 3, but as this is a major EA title and in regards to having bought the license digitally, I am still able to share this particular game.

The online features of TS3 are limited though, obviously; but my guess is that in your case with a major multiplayer release, you are most likely correct that you'd have to share login credentials to share the game (and also not be able to play simultaneously with the person you're sharing it with).