Retail 3DS game will also include digital version

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by DiscostewSM, Oct 10, 2012.

1. DiscostewSM
    OP

Member DiscostewSM GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    :arrow: Source

While I don't care much for idol simulators, I am interested that the (physical) game will come packaged with the digital version as well. How they will deal with one person buying it and giving another person one of the two packaged in, I don't know, but if they found out a way to keep it to just one person, then I wouldn't mind buying retail over purely digital.

2. 2ndApex

Member 2ndApex GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Nintendo needs to do this for all of there games.

3 people like this.
  3. Terenigma

Member Terenigma Terenigma everywhere

United Kingdom
    They could make each "update" have a like reset button to confirm you are the only one playing it that requires you put the actual game cart in temporarily, to renew the digital copy?

4. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    If their point wasn't to allow you to share a copy, I'm not even sure why they would do this. Once you have the digital version, it pretty much makes the physical version a fancy piece of plastic.

2 people like this.
  5. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    I would throw the voucher in the bin, what use would a digital download of the retail version would there be? I have back to the future trilogy on blu ray had a voucher to download and I just threw it in the bin, I have no use for it.

6. Blaze163

Member Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

United Kingdom
    Maybe I'm being dense here but....why? If I have one copy of the game, why would I need a second?

1 person likes this.
  7. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    Seems a bit redundant, but then again, it's hard to argue against a company giving you something for free, especially when there's the possibility of selling that free thing.

Maybe it's their way of making up for that awful title?

8. b17bomber

Member b17bomber GBAtemp Fan

United States
    This is great if you go on a trip and don't want to carry a bunch of carts with you. Though what happens if you trade it in to gamestop?

What you could do is like an online verification. Where you get a digital copy for like a week or 2. If you want another 2 weeks, you have ro put the original game back in your cart.

1 person likes this.
  9. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    Would be better for games that are on a console and portable. Either the retail one will be for the console and the digital one will be for the portable or maybe vice versa.

10. Janthran

Member Janthran Solarian

United States
    Why not give it to someone else then?

1 person likes this.
  11. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    "The packaged retail version of the upcoming Japanese idol simulator for the Nintendo 3DS, AKB48+Me, will also include a digital version of the game, Kadokawa Games revealed."

Will it also come packaged with sadness and virginity?

I jest, I jest.

But I guess it's a good idea, I have found digital seems like a superior option and SD cards are pretty cheap. It's easier to put 10 games on a SD card than carry around 10 game carts.

2 people like this.
  12. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    Does that make sense to buy movies that include the DVD, Blu-ray, and 5 digital copies?

I mean I'm ok with this all.

13. Blaze163

Member Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

United Kingdom
    I'm not complaining, I'm just curious as to how they're trying to fight piracy, and yet if we're given d/l codes to access full games legit, how long will it be before someone comes up with one of those code generator programs? It's a nice gesture, but it seems a bit daft to basically give a game away for free, especially when it's a potential security issue, right?

1 person likes this.
  14. Snailface

Member Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Antarctica
    Possibility:
    Once the digital version is installed on a particular system, the physical copy is bound to that system until the digital copy is unregistered and deleted while the cartridge is inserted.

I would seriously doubt Nints would let any licensees allow a single game to be played on two systems (essentially a 2-for-1).

I hope I'm wrong.

1 person likes this.
  15. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    It's not like "code generator programs" work. If that was the case I would be redeeming 100,000 MS Points. Also they could have the code tied to the game.

I mean a similar concept isn't unheard of. New copies of Alice: Madness Returns came with a copy of the original AM's Alice and you needed the copy of the game to align with the code. If not you had to buy it separately. Or a more relevant one would be Portal 2. The PS3 version came with a Steam copy as well.

You could of course just sell the retail copy and keep the digital copy but I guess these guys are nice and just want to give you convenience.

16. Arm73

Member Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Italy
    The way I see it, is very easy.
    You buy a physical copy of the game, and you get to install it to your SD card.
    If more developers would do that, you will have the advantage of digital distribution, even if you don't have an internet connection or any means to pay for it.
    Ultimately, people won't have to carry several games cartridge with them at all times.
    I think it's a great idea.
    Just like having a flashcart, only it's legal :ha:

1 person likes this.
  17. ferofax

Member ferofax End of the World

Philippines
    I'm gonna hinge on what Guild said, that they were just being nice in including the digital version. Maybe piracy or redundancy isn't an issue here. I mean, we're talking about AKB48 here. Fans buy boxes and boxes of CDs just to get that random winning ticket so that they can attend a fan meet and get to shake hands with their idols (with their hands sticky from unidentified substances). Justin Bieber can only dream of the intensity with which these fans follow their idols.

Suffice to say, it doesn't matter to them if whoever bought it gave the physical copy away or whatever. They paid for it anyways. And more AKB48 fans, more cash cows. It's a disease, I tell you. Kinda like Apple, except Apple actually makes premium stuff.

18. Vampire Lied

Member Vampire Lied Resident sociopath

United States
    Topic title was a bit misleading, although it got me to read the thread. If other companies and nintendo themselves actually start to do this, it would be great. Don't see that happening though.
    I was hoping it was gonna be a decision to include digital with all retail games like Sony is gonna do with vita. At least Sony got something right with that thing.

19. Janthran

Member Janthran Solarian

United States
    It doesn't say that the price won't be double anywhere, does it?

1 person likes this.
  20. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    The whole "point" is to install the game once and never bother with the cartridge again unless you want to re-install. You get the game, you don't get the trouble with swapping cartridges every single time you want to play it and you still have the collector's value intact - perfect. I'm assuming that each game will have an assigned and embedded code - activating it on one 3DS would deactivate it on any other 3DS that may have previously installed it.