Restoring the PS Vita System

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Hacking & Homebrew' started by aleighne, Sep 20, 2016.

1. aleighne
    OP

aleighne Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 20, 2016
    Hey guys, i just bought a 3.60 secondhand vita and I was wondering if my vita would force me to update to the latest firmware if i initiate the "Restore This System" found in the Format tab of the Settings. [​IMG]

The reason i wanted to restore it is for me to be able to log-in my psn account because the previous owner's psn is still there.

2. haojiezhu

haojiezhu Member

Newcomer
    Sep 9, 2016
    United States
    I had to unregister my Vita from an old PSN account before I can register it with a new PSN account. Unregistering Vita from PSN account has to be done on your Vita (can't be done on a computer) which will log into that old account (it asked me to re-type the password of my old account) and ask you to upgrade Vita to the latest firmware. I had to use Henkaku's spoof function to avoid upgrading to 3.61. Since your Vita is still tied to another person's PSN account, I don't know if you can unregister it without knowing that person's password. You can give it a try. Restore the system without unregistering device may prevent you from registering it to another account in the future.

Last edited by haojiezhu, Sep 20, 2016
    aleighne likes this.
  3. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    Based on the official site, you don't need the password to sign out.

aleighne likes this.
  4. haojiezhu

haojiezhu Member

Newcomer
    Sep 9, 2016
    United States
    Sign Out is different from Unregister Device. Even if you sign out from that account, your Vita is still registerd with that account. You can log into you PSN account on a computer to verify that in the device section.

aleighne likes this.
  5. aleighne
    OP

aleighne Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 20, 2016
    Yeah that's my problem. I dont know the previous owner's password so im thinking of hard resetting it in safe mode :( but still, the question is that would the vita force me to update after the format sequence since i recall that it's required to sign-in in PSN in initial setup

6. haojiezhu

haojiezhu Member

Newcomer
    Sep 9, 2016
    United States
    You can skip setting up PSN account for Vita. You have to activate Henkaku before logging-into PSN if you don't want to upgrade to 3.61.

Last edited by haojiezhu, Sep 20, 2016
    cvskid and aleighne like this.
  7. aleighne
    OP

aleighne Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 20, 2016
    Hmm okay thank you :) i'm still thinking whether i should format or not x(

8. satan89

satan89 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 30, 2014
    India
    Bangalore
    I was in the same boat as you were few weeks ago. I didn't know the parental code on my used Vita, and the seller had forgotten it too.
    My advice is turn off your wifi and do a reset, there is no step forcing you to update and sign in on a deserted system. Once you reach the live area, enable HENkaku, then sign into PSN, there will be no update nag.

aleighne likes this.
  9. aleighne
    OP

aleighne Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 20, 2016
    Thank you everyone! i took the risk last night of hard resetting it and it was a success :) no force update or anything

satan89 and Ezekiel_devoid like this.