Gaming Restoring the Intended OS

teenprogramming

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm wondering about whether you can restore a computer's operating system it was shipped with, as with my computer, on the sticker, it states it shipped with Vista, but when I bought it on Craigslist, the operating system installed was XP. There is no partition for Vista, but is there any other way to restore it to Vista, like with the BIOS or something like that? (I don't know if this can do anything, as I have a restore disk for another computer to restore Vista on that computer, could that be used on this computer or to be more specific, is there a method of somehow using that restore disk with the computer that has XP?)

DeathStrudel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
teenprogramming said:
I'm wondering about whether you can restore a computer's operating system it was shipped with, as with my computer, on the sticker, it states it shipped with Vista, but when I bought it on Craigslist, the operating system installed was XP. There is no partition for Vista, but is there any other way to restore it to Vista, like with the BIOS or something like that? (I don't know if this can do anything, as I have a restore disk for another computer to restore Vista on that computer, could that be used on this computer or to be more specific, is there a method of somehow using that restore disk with the computer that has XP?)
i dont think you can do that but why would you want vista anyways? XP is way better and if you just want it cause it looks "cooler" or "newer" or whatever then get windows 7

Strider

Next to the mainstream
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Notebooks usually have a restoration partition just for this, however without details we can not help you further.

If it's a desktop - propably not. A notebook - have a look at the partitioning and if there is more than one partition, maybe yes.

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If the Vista sticker is still intact, there should be a serial on there. Use that with a regular Vista install disc to get a fully legit Vista license activated on your computer. How to get the disc? You will find a way somehow.

Strider

Next to the mainstream
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Fat D said:
If the Vista sticker is still intact, there should be a serial on there. Use that with a regular Vista install disc to get a fully legit Vista license activated on your computer. How to get the disc? You will find a way somehow.

No, those serials work only with the OEM disks of that manufacturer. It will not activate correctly.

DeathStrudel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Strider said:
Notebooks usually have a restoration partition just for this, however without details we can not help you further.

If it's a desktop - propably not. A notebook - have a look at the partitioning and if there is more than one partition, maybe yes.
he said it didnt have another partition so this isnt an option

Strider said:
QUOTE(Fat D @ Dec 28 2010, 06:28 PM) If the Vista sticker is still intact, there should be a serial on there. Use that with a regular Vista install disc to get a fully legit Vista license activated on your computer. How to get the disc? You will find a way somehow.

No, those serials work only with the OEM disks of that manufacturer. It will not activate correctly.
plus i think he meant on the front of the computer where it ways like "designed for vista" or whatever not the sticker with a serial code, but maybe not

Strider

Next to the mainstream
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
He said no vista partition, he did not mention whether or not there are other partitions, one might be a recovery partition.

In any case, this thread should hold enough clues by now.
biggrin.gif
Good luck to op.

DeathStrudel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Strider said:
He said no vista partition, he did not mention whether or not there are other partitions, one might be a recovery partition.

In any case, this thread should hold enough clues by now.
biggrin.gif
Good luck to op.
my bad, you're right, i just assumed that's what he meant

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: LOL