[Request] HB to backup game saves to cloud

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by jrebey, Jun 23, 2015.

1. jrebey
    OP

jrebey GBAtemp Regular

Mar 12, 2015
    United States
    Does anyone know of any projects out there which will backup game saves to cloud service providers like Google Drive, Dropbox or Box?

I think it would be pretty awesome to have a backup/restore app directly on the 3DS. I was thinking of doing this myself but if there is already something out there I'd rather contribute to it.

2. rotebrotobias

rotebrotobias GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 31, 2015
    Don't think there is or will be. Those stuff cost a lot of money to host, and probably not possible.

3. Bkool999

Bkool999 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 3, 2014
    United States
    What about something that you can back up saves directly to your computer? I assume that should be possible, right?

4. WeedZ

WeedZ Possibly an enlightened being

GBAtemp Patron
    WeedZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 13, 2015
    United States
    Like SaveDataFiler?

5. Bkool999

Bkool999 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 3, 2014
    United States
    Yeah, except it backs it up to your computer on your network instead of directly to your system. Or better, backing up to a server on a smartphone. Next best thing, as far as I see it.

6. TheCruel

TheCruel Developer

Banned
    Dec 6, 2013
    United States
    You could just interface with the API for Dropbox, Google Drive, etc. No need to host your own solution.

This wouldn't be very hard to make. You would have to run it manually whenever you wanted to sync it though.

7. WeedZ

WeedZ Possibly an enlightened being

GBAtemp Patron
    WeedZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 13, 2015
    United States
    I don't see the point though, it's only one more step to run an ftp app or copy from sd. Also its convenient to have the saves handy on the sd. And what about the save transfer tool from the eshop? Isn't that what it does?

8. Bkool999

Bkool999 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 3, 2014
    United States
    That's why I mentioned the smartphone thing. Though, now that I think about it, newer firmware's do let you backup to the sd card anyway, when it comes to downloaded titles, at least.

9. Melon__Bread

Melon__Bread ~It's A Magik~

Dec 9, 2013
    United States
    Although those are not really as portable/usable as the decrytpted saves SDF gives you

10. jrebey
    OP

jrebey GBAtemp Regular

Mar 12, 2015
    United States
    The point is that pushing to a cloud provider doesn't require me to launch an FTP server on the 3DS and then a client on the PC and navigate to the right folder and start the transfer. To your point, it's way more than one more step. Having a simple utility that pushes and pulls saves from the cloud with no computer would be ideal. I never said the tool would delete the saves off the SD card.. just sync them to the cloud and allow you to restore back to your SD card.

nallar and WhoAmI? like this.
  11. Idaho

Idaho GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 3, 2013
    France
    Why not make it work with the popular services like DropBox, OneDrive,...etc? it wouldn't cost any money and still be efficient, a lot of people already do this on PC...