Homebrew REQUEST:FM Radio?

Dwight

Gawb. Gawb Bluth.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Somebody could probably make one that linked to a radio off of your computer through wifi or something.
Also don't request stuff on this board.

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
That would be HARDWARE based... since there's no way to do it software based, you'd have to buy or make a hardware based FM radio.

Doggy124

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thailand
L10724683.jpg

link

unz

Chaotic Neutral
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I actually own one of these...

futfm2.jpg

FUT-9322 - Futuretronics FM Radio with Earphone with Volume Control (For NDS & NDS Lite)

Cost me $14 from Kmart, and I've only used it once.

Here's my quick and dirty review, in the unlikely event that anyone's interested...

Futuretronics make pretty good gaming accessories (imho). I've bought a lot of their DS Lite gear over the past year, and I'd usually recommend their products quite highly.
Going by my previous satisfactory experiences with the brand's range, I had high hopes for this radio add on.
I was thinking the tuning would be done via the touch screen, and stations would be displayed on the top screen - or something cool like that. Turns out, I was incredibly wrong.

All the DS does is supply power to the radio, which is completely self contained in a rather crappy slot 1 device. In fact, one look confirms that the only slot 1 contacts the unit has are power + & -
In the DS's firmware screen, it says: "There is no DS Card inserted" when the radio's plugged in slot 1. The stations are displayed on the unit's ugly little LCD display instead.
There's no station presets or shortcuts, and the + & -tuning buttons are quite hard to access when it's plugged into the DS.
The antenna is actually incorporated into the (also white) headphones, so if you move your head around too much, the signal drops out and/or you get deafened by static.

Oh, and you can get the FM radio add on in any colour - as long as it's white.
Both the radio unit and the headphones look and feel very cheap and fragile. It was good idea, but in this case, poorly executed.

I'd give it a 4 out of 10: It does the job, but it's pretty terrible, quality-wise. Features are certainly lacking.

Tyrone Williams seemed to like it though, for some reason...

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I've had no reason to buy one seeing as most if not all radio channels suck in Sweden. I have seen that FM-radio receiver at shop.01media.com though.

VatoLoco

Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.
Trophies
Website
www.backwoodzstudioz.com
XP
Country
United States
Check out this thread on running a shoutcast server through DSOrganize

you can also simply add your favorite low bitrate shoutcast playlist(.pls) file to DSO and it will play it.

Here's an example playlist (my fav radio station)
CODE[playlist]
NumberOfEntries=1
File1=http://kexp-mp3-1.cac.washington.edu:8000/
create a text file, add this^^^ and save it as kexp.pls

12elis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
VISHI SO FISHI said:
confuzzle said:
Do you think it's possible for someone to make a FM radio for the DS?

You can do radio on Ds already, Through DSorganise..there a vid tut on youtube (thats how i did it on my ds)..it uses wi-fi tho,

Search on google or youtube..

what? are u serious? ive been using DSorganise for a pretty long time and i did not know that. Is it internet radio or FM?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: