[Request] f.lux for 3DS

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Aether Lion, May 5, 2016.

1. Aether Lion
    OP

Aether Lion GBATemp's Pet Lion

May 1, 2016
    United States
    Penisylvania
    Is this possible? It'd be so amazing seeing how strenuous the 3DS can be on the eyes, y'know? :P

2. Kyouken

Kyouken Repairer of the Breach

Oct 31, 2015
    United States
    GBATemp
    If it's possible to control the colors on the screen (I know the brightness can be configured to more than the options we normally have), perhaps an NTR plugin could be made if it's open source. I don't see anything of the sort on their page, however.

Aether Lion likes this.
  3. Vondosaurusrex

Vondosaurusrex Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 16, 2015
    United States
    I feel like theoretically it should possible with an NTR plugin- we can already control screen brightness that way. The question is is whether or not the color temperature can change that way too.

If nothing else, such a thing would probably be n3ds only :P

Edit: Ninja'd

4. Aether Lion
    OP

May 1, 2016
    United States
    Penisylvania
    It'd probably be a little troublesome to create such software but I think it'd be unique and open the way to others creating similar system-wide software like that. :D

5. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    changing the power of the brightness is very different to applying a color filter on the fly :)
    @cell9 - is this possible do you think? reducing the blue light from the 3ds screen
    (not asking you do do it! but if you think it is possible)

Last edited by cearp, May 5, 2016
    cell9 and GotKrypto67 like this.
  6. Aether Lion
    OP

May 1, 2016
    United States
    Penisylvania
    *Prays that cell9 can save us all*

7. sweis12

sweis12 GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 20, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Why not just enable power saving mode?
    Its not exactly the same, but it does change the temperature of the display.

dronesplitter likes this.
  8. Aether Lion
    OP

May 1, 2016
    United States
    Penisylvania
    Yeah but I mean a drastic change. :P Also time of day/possibly a button combo that can used anywhere config would be nice.

9. Robz8

Robz8 Coolest of TWL

Oct 1, 2010
    United States
    Drawing a red transparent image on both screens might work.

Last edited by Robz8, May 5, 2016
  10. Aether Lion
    OP

May 1, 2016
    United States
    Penisylvania
    Would that be possible to do even in-game? :P Would it heavily cripple O3DS? Let's say you ran SSB with this?

11. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    https://github.com/jonls/redshift
    There's this.

Kyouken likes this.
  12. Wolfvak

Wolfvak *yawn*

Oct 25, 2015
    Uruguay
    If we have direct framebuffer access you could always read the B value, substract x from it (make sure not to underflow!) and write it back.
    Don't know whether NTR provides this level of access though, or whether we can perform these kind of operations in realtime.

EDIT: iirc, the 3DS' framebuffer is stored in a BGR24 format. That is, pixel 0 is Blue, Green, Red (varying from 0 to 255), then you have pixel 1 with its corresponding Blue, Green and Red values. Rinse and repeat for the rest (320*240 for bottom screen, 400*240 for top screen)

Last edited by Wolfvak, May 5, 2016
    Pacheko17 and cearp like this.
  13. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    yeah but that is not flux, it just looks ugly, making everything reddish.
    flux and stuff like it actually change the color, make blues less blue, not just make stuff red

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

that's what i was trying to ask :)
    I'm not sure how intensive something like that would be

14. Kyouken

Oct 31, 2015
    United States
    GBATemp
    Ah, I wasn't aware. Seems to be a tad different from flux in that it works somewhat like the auto-brightness feature of the N3DS rather than based on the time of day. I bet both options would be good to have though.

15. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    so, just like taking screenshots, instead of reading that area we write to it...
    it might not so hard actually.
    location and time is not important really, just chaning the screen temp would be fine.
    I'm not so sure if it is as simple as turning blue to black, it doesn't seem that simple, but i think this idea is possible if someone puts some work in :)

Robz8 and Aether Lion like this.
  16. Aether Lion
    OP

May 1, 2016
    United States
    Penisylvania
    I have no experience in creating 3DS homebrew and so yeah I'm not the one for the job. :P

17. Wolfvak

Wolfvak *yawn*

Oct 25, 2015
    Uruguay
    Shouldn't be too CPU-intensive, and even then you could always create it as a low priority thread in the background.

The main issue with this whole idea is: how much should we reduce the blue intensity?

There's no detector in o3DS and in n3DS it's locked away because only one process/service can access it at a time (so you'd have to disable qtm)

Aether Lion likes this.
  18. Aether Lion
    OP

May 1, 2016
    United States
    Penisylvania
    Create editable variables and let users experiment? I think it'd be different tastes for each users. Just like in f.lux you can set the levels. I mean it doesn't need to me near that complex.

cearp likes this.
  19. Kyouken

Oct 31, 2015
    United States
    GBATemp
    Perhaps have a sort of 'safe' level low that you can't set it past, and then let the user decide how dim/bright they want it. I'm thinking in the way that flux has its lowest level, though as how you'd determine that, I'm not sure. Maybe use the built-in brightness scale as a guide for the low? I know it's not the same as color intensity, but it could still be used as a guide.

Aether Lion likes this.
  20. Selim873

Selim873 Nunnayobeesnes

Jul 31, 2010
    United States
    Chillin' with Bob Ross
    I've thought about requesting this as well. I use it on everything possible. A lot less straining on my eyes when use my phone, laptop and PC after work every night.

Aether Lion likes this.