[REQUEST] English patch for Gyakuten Saiban 5

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by Lycanroc, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Lycanroc
    OP

Lycanroc Midnight Wolf

May 11, 2014
    Germany
    Ibbenbüren
    So, as most of you know, Gyakuten Saiban 5, also known as Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies was released as a physical cartridge only in Japan, and the rest of the world only got a digital release. Would it be possible to make a *hax 2.5 compatible English patch that can be used with the Japanese cartridge?

TheKawaiiDesu likes this.
  2. Truner

Truner GBAtemp Regular

May 26, 2011
    Hungary
    Budapest
    As silly and pointless as this sounds, I'm also interested in this. Just got Gyakuten Saiban 123 from Japan, wouldn't mind getting 5 from Japan if this could be done relatively easily. Though I assume it requires quite a lot of hacking, since replacing files probably doesn't work.

3. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    you would be better off just playing the digital English version as a patch like this will probably not work 100%, wereas the digital version will and it is available already.

4. MRJPGames

MRJPGames Pretty great guy

Aug 17, 2013
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands
    Yes this is possible, you should be able to simply replace the text files (.gmd?) and they should work as they are in the same format mostly. All other things like gfx and stuff might not work quite as well, but maybe with a little effort (or if they didn't change too much in the official translation nearly no effort).

But might I ask why not just download the English version? It's a decent game so you shouldn't have to sell it XD.

5. Tomy Sakazaki

Tomy Sakazaki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 23, 2006
    Brazil
    As an Ace Attorney fan I would do something like it only for bragging rights, running the english release over the original cartridge.

6. MRJPGames

Aug 17, 2013
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands
    I would do it, except I don't have the JP card so I can't dump it's contents, nor can I test with it. I do have the digital English versions so if you need the English romfs hit me op k?

7. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein Professional asshole at GBATemp

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    But extracting and using the GMD from the eShop CIA would be as illegal and piratey as just using the eShop version as a CIA directly on a CFW.
    Hmmm... Is it really something to brag about as a fan?

8. MRJPGames

Aug 17, 2013
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands
    Well you payed for the game (possibly twice) so yeah.

9. Lycanroc
    OP

Lycanroc Midnight Wolf

May 11, 2014
    Germany
    Ibbenbüren
    It's not about selling, it's about being able to put it on the shelf. I just don't like digital releases.