REQUEST: Bluetooth Module Replacement Guide

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by I obviously need, Apr 25, 2010.

1. I obviously need
    OP

Newcomer I obviously need Advanced Member

United States
    After doing some long and hard (lol, long and hard) research, I have finally figured out that my Wii's BLACK SCREEN O' DEATH is due to a Bluetooth Module malfunction. However! There are no guides available anywhere that tell me how to carefully do a replacement. I have looked at some diagrams of the Wii's infrastructure, and there seems to be no soldering involved (THANK GOD!). It's just a quick and dirty 'plug-and-play' device, but I was wondering if there are any precautions/safety measures as to not damage the Wii permanently. Anti-static wrist strap? Rubber gloves?

I'm still shocked that there aren't any guides to this problem. I've been told that it's not uncommon; in fact, I've seen threads all over the place from GameFAQs to IGN with people that have the same issue. Any help will be much appreciated [​IMG]

2. Krestent

Member Krestent What to post?

United States
  3. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    it should be pretty straight forward. there are hundreds of youtube videos and picture tutorials about how to open the case and remove the dvd drive. those images tattar8 posted skip some of the screws, but you can find images everywhere with exact locations.

once you get it opened up and get the dvd drive out, remove the black plastic parts at the rear of the wii. then when you get down to the metal motherboard cover, there is a arrow etched into it pointing to all the screws. once you get that off, the bluetooth doodad should be right there between the first GC controller connector and the sd card slot.

a static strap is never a bad idea if you have one, as are the gloves. but ive opened these things up and messed around without either without breaking anything.

4. I obviously need
    OP

United States
    I managed to fix my Wii! So, just in case anyone gets the BLACK SCREEN OF DEATH (but you are still able to access Recovery through the use of a GameCube controller), it's more than likely that you have a corrupt Bluetooth Module! It's easy to remove, too. All it has is a piece of rolled up electrical tape beneath its chip and a small socket that connects to the motherboard.

5. OhYa

Newcomer OhYa Member

United States
    Ok, so I have a Black Screend wii, it powers on, green light, the screen flickers for a second & nothing... No Sound, No Screen...
    I plugged in a GC controller and did the same thing...

How do you access recovery?
    or are you talking about Priiloader?

This wii is not hacked, that I know of... the owner told me it wasnt, but who realy knows...

Oh and how much is the bluetooth thingy and where can U get em?

(((( A Picture of the Chip ))))

Thanks!

6. I obviously need
    OP

United States
    Hey OhYa, I just got your PM, so sorry for the late reply.

Recovery mode is essentially just seeing your firmware version on the bottom right-hand corner of your TV screen. Doesn't make much sense, but supposedly that's what it is. It allows you to get out of "brick" mode, and was a Nintendo tech-added feature to allow them to do easy refurbs in their warehouses scattered across the world (I'm guessing).

As to solving your problem, you can pay ~$10 online for a Bluetooth Module and wait for it to get shipped to your house, OR you can "buy" a Wii from Walmart, gut it for the Bluetooth Module, swap the good module with your corrupt one (or be evil enough to keep it), then return that Walmart's Wii in IMMACULATE condition (rubber feet, stickers, and screws all back together), then get your money back. I had to do that for my 2nd Wii yesterday, because I finally got my Wasabi DX modchip in the mail from 4CoolDay (THAT COMPANY HAS HORRENDOUS SHIPPING).

Obviously, I tested out Mr. Corrupt Bluetooth Module in my Japanese Wii (Wii number 2, also known as my "back-up" Wii) JUST in case it still worked, and lo and behold, BLACK SCREEN OF DEATH! It was just 100% verification for myself (as a reference) that my 1st Wii's problem was the Bluetooth Module all along.

7. wes11ph

Member wes11ph GBAtemp Fan

Afghanistan
    i can repair it, if you want to...

8. almmiron

Member almmiron GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    I have the same problem.
    -My wii has bricked with Black Screen of Death, because the wiimote didnt work anymore
    -Changed the bluetooth module with a new one
    -But my wii still dont recognize wiimotes.

Anywhere on the wii, can I sync te wiimote, even if SM didnt work?(ex: on the priloader, bootmi or HBC screen).

-have bootmii as boot 2, and some HBC programs runs perfectly
    -downloaded by modmii new 4.3u System Menu, but nothing. still because of the bluetooth problem.